+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: SIN Invalid/Dormant?? Processing time to get it reactivated ??

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
Hello,

I have been out of Canada more than 5 years since I got my SIN and I didn't file any taxes( I wasn't working). I'm back to Canada now, and I just learnt that my SIN is dormant while trying to open a credit card account. What is the process of getting it reactivated like? Do I get a new SIN or is it the same number? How long does it take?

I'm worried because I am expecting a job offer very soon. On the side note, do employers ask for the SIN the day you begin work or before that?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I think by 'dormant' they mean you do not have a credit history, so they do not know how likely you are to pay your bills on time.

To change that, you need to find work and start working. Then try to get utilities(power, phone, etc if you need them) in your name and pay the bills on time. Once you do this for 6 months to a year, they will likely give you a credit card.

You do not need to apply for a new SIN. Your employer is required to obtain your SIN within 5 days of you starting your job. The employer needs it only to process your salary through payroll.

Are you a permanent resident or Canadian citizen? If you are a foreign worker, you must get a work permit before starting work.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to this post: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/returning-canadians-sin-t57370.0.html Service Canada may have set your SIN to dormant because you didn't use it for 5 years. You would have to go to Service Canada and fill out a form to get it re-activated.

You may however not be able to get a credit card right away because you are new in Canada, the bank has no records on you and no idea if you will pay your bills or not. First get a job, show regular income, show you are paying off your utility bills for at least a few months and then you can apply for a credit card. You could also ask the bank for a secured card.