+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent!!! Question about WP Extension !!! HELP!!!

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
My PGWP is expiring next Monday, and I was about to submit visitor visa application.
Suddenly, my boss is now willing to file my LMIA application. We have not started preparing the application yet.
My boss is saying I can file my WP extension and meanwhile I can keep working.
I said I can only submit WP extension at least after I submitted LMIA application.

Does anyone of you know in my case I can file extension application first?
So frustrating cuz my visa is expiring next monday and I can't decide whether I should submit my visitor visa or not.
Any help is appreciated...

TrackIT

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
09-03-2017
Med's Done....
29-03-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-07-2017
LANDED..........
24-08-2017
ee2015 said:
My PGWP is expiring next Monday, and I was about to submit visitor visa application.
Suddenly, my boss is now willing to file my LMIA application. We have not started preparing the application yet.
I said I can only submit WP extension at least after I submitted LMIA application.

So frustrating cuz my visa is expiring next monday and I can't decide whether I should submit my visitor visa or not.
Bro, you can apply for extension but my 1st question is if your employer is willing to apply for LMIA this wp extension will be covered in it right ? i mean dual intent LMIA. Because i went till this part and got everything shut at one point due to other reasons

TrackIT

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
09-03-2017
Med's Done....
29-03-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-07-2017
LANDED..........
24-08-2017
one more thing i forgot to add, you cannot work with visitors visa so why are you thinking about that now. If you want to continue your work, and appy for lmia and wp extension on ur own instead of dual intent then all you need from your employer to proceed with ur wp extension is a letter that states that your employer has stared to advertise your position and searching for the canadian to fill in ur position in the mean while you are working because there is potential amount of work that has to be done .

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ee2015 said:

You can apply for a work permit extension to buy a bit of time - the extension will be rejected but until it is you can work on implied status.

It may or may not be enough time for your employer to submit for LMIA. Unlikely that a decision will be made in that time either to be honest. LMIA means one month of advertising your role prior to the submission going in plus the processing time which unless you qualify for the 10 day processing, can be lengthy.

Either way you will probably need to change to visitor status, just depends which option you choose as to when that will need to happen.

GG kaur

Apr 18, 2016
I
ozlis said:
You can apply for a work permit extension to buy a bit of time - the extension will be rejected but until it is you can work on implied status.

It may or may not be enough time for your employer to submit for LMIA. Unlikely that a decision will be made in that time either to be honest. LMIA means one month of advertising your role prior to the submission going in plus the processing time which unless you qualify for the 10 day processing, can be lengthy.

Either way you will probably need to change to visitor status, just depends which option you choose as to when that will need to happen.
Go to usa border do flagpoling and get wp at same time,

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
TrackIT said:
one more thing i forgot to add, you cannot work with visitors visa so why are you thinking about that now. If you want to continue your work, and appy for lmia and wp extension on ur own instead of dual intent then all you need from your employer to proceed with ur wp extension is a letter that states that your employer has stared to advertise your position and searching for the canadian to fill in ur position in the mean while you are working because there is potential amount of work that has to be done .
Hi,

I was considering visitor visa because my employer was not considering LMIA for me at all. I know I have to stop working on visitor visa, but really no other choice...
but then today my employer talked to me and he's willing to file LMIA.

but the point is, I heard that you at least need to submit LMIA application prior to extension application. I think it's too risky because what if my extension application is returned as incomplete and refused, so I can't benefit from the implied status?

If my employer is willing to support my LMIA even though I have to stop working for a while, that will be perfect but not sure if he would want that...

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
ozlis said:

Hi

Thank you for your advice..

Do you think it's safe to submit extension app without LMIA application file number?

I mean... that application is not even eligible to apply for extension in the first place. I heard incomplete app cannot benefit from implied status.
What do you think...?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ee2015 said:
Hi

Thank you for your advice..

Do you think it's safe to submit extension app without LMIA application file number?

I mean... that application is not even eligible to apply for extension in the first place. I heard incomplete app cannot benefit from implied status.
What do you think...?
You can certainly submit a work permit application and will have implied status until a decision in the application is made. Keep in mind that LMIA processing can take 4+ months. So it's quite possible your work permit will be refused before the LMIA is approved. If that happens, you will need to stop working immediately and apply to restore your status to visitor.

Harsh29

May 31, 2015
If your work permit it expiring soon then you must apply it immediately, fill work permit extension form, advertise job on some job sites like indeed. Print out the job posting and attach it with the work permit extension, just to show CIC that you are actually apply for LMIA. Then you just follow the procedure for LMIA. Apply in paper because by paper processing time 120 days which wil give you time to apply for Lmia and once you get your file number, just update to CIC.
I hope this will help.