+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent, question about Study Permit application in China

Changxu

Aug 3, 2023
Hi All,

This is Changxu, a PhD student with China Scholarship Council (CSC) Funding. I submitted my application on June 22, 2022, and I found I was in Security Background Checking on August 2, 2022 by requesting the CBSA and the CSIS Check.

For now, the security is still in process, and there is no any updates since July 2022. I have tried many times to contact with IRCC via Webform and Email, but none of them works. I am very anxious about this situation, it has influenced my study and life very much. More seriously, my CSC funding will be invalid if I still can not arrive in Canada in December this year. I can not imagine adout this.

Hope someone could help me with this.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.
Changxu

baicuike

Jun 28, 2023
Hi All,

This is Changxu, a PhD student with China Scholarship Council (CSC) Funding. I submitted my application on June 22, 2022, and I found I was in Security Background Checking on August 2, 2022 by requesting the CBSA and the CSIS Check.

For now, the security is still in process, and there is no any updates since July 2022. I have tried many times to contact with IRCC via Webform and Email, but none of them works. I am very anxious about this situation, it has influenced my study and life very much. More seriously, my CSC funding will be invalid if I still can not arrive in Canada in December this year. I can not imagine adout this.

Hope someone could help me with this.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks.
Changxu
Try to submit one more application as a reminder

Changxu

Aug 3, 2023
Hi, thanks. Unfortunately, someone has tried this way, but the second application will be in Security Check again. So one more application doesn't work in this situaion.

Changxu

Aug 3, 2023
Did the notes say anything about your eligibility? When do you start your studies?
HI thanks. Yes, the eligibility has passed. The normal beginning is September 2022, I had to take class online since I did not arrive in Canada (did not get Visa).

Rere1997

Aug 4, 2023
HI thanks. Yes, the eligibility has passed. The normal beginning is September 2022, I had to take class online since I did not arrive in Canada (did not get Visa).
Can you take more classes online? Since you’re a year in a program I don’t think you can defer or switch to part time status. Since eligibility passed then you will probably get your permit sooner or later.

Changxu

Aug 3, 2023
Can you take more classes online? Since you’re a year in a program I don’t think you can defer or switch to part time status. Since eligibility passed then you will probably get your permit sooner or later.
Hi, I have taken all courses that could be studied online, I have to take the rest offline since these just could be taught in classroom. I also belive I will get my permit oneday, but the problem is that when I will obtain it. I don't think I can get PhD degree if I don't arrive in Canada even though I finish all conditions of class and paper.
Thanks again, by the way, would you mind tell me where are your from?

ItsOkToBeSmart

Star Member
Jul 28, 2023
Your application has been under review for more than a year? This is very concerning considering you already have a funded PhD program. I would suggest sent multiple webforms to various visa centres in your country and address this issue.

Changxu

Aug 3, 2023
Your application has been under review for more than a year? This is very concerning considering you already have a funded PhD program. I would suggest sent multiple webforms to various visa centres in your country and address this issue.
Hi thanks. To be honest, I have expressed my request to different IRCC center (Beijing, Shanghai) via Email and webform many times. But none of them works, I did not receive any effective reply.

ItsOkToBeSmart

Star Member
Jul 28, 2023
Hi thanks. To be honest, I have expressed my request to different IRCC center (Beijing, Shanghai) via Email and webform many times. But none of them works, I did not receive any effective reply.
Webforms are answered within 28 days or even later. I would suggest you to contact some other IRCC center such as India or UAE and ask them to contact the IRCC centre in China to provide a decision on your application.

Changxu

Aug 3, 2023
Webforms are answered within 28 days or even later. I would suggest you to contact some other IRCC center such as India or UAE and ask them to contact the IRCC centre in China to provide a decision on your application.
Got this. Thanks bro. I will try with your advice. Thanks again.

battylife

Apr 16, 2023
Complaining to IRCC does absolutely nothing if you are still under security screening at CBSA or CSIS. You should either:
1) File a writ of mandamus. The first step (motion for mandamus) costs only $50, and will usually be enough to scare IRCC/CBSA/CSIS into action.
2) Complain to CBSA electronically or CSIS by mail:
Code:
Director, Canadian Security Intelligence Service
P.O. Box 9732, Postal Station “T”
Ottawa, Ontario
K1G 4G4
3) Complain to NSIRA (superiors of CBSA and CSIS) if 2) does not work

Last edited:

battylife

Apr 16, 2023
This is a very bad piece of advice. First of all, you will end up under Security Screening again. Secondly, you are wasting hundreds of dollars to no positive effect. Thirdly, the second application will be a piece of evidence that will work against you at the Federal Court, if you end up filing mandamus.

Reactions: xueshen0607

Changxu

Aug 3, 2023
Complaining to IRCC does absolutely nothing if you are still under security screening at CBSA or CSIS. You should either:
1) File a writ of mandamus. The first step (motion for mandamus) costs only $50, and will usually be enough to scare IRCC/CBSA/CSIS into action.
2) Complain to CBSA electronically or CSIS by mail:
Code:
Director, Canadian Security Intelligence Service
P.O. Box 9732, Postal Station “T”
Ottawa, Ontario
K1G 4G4
3) Complain to NSIRA (superiors of CBSA and CSIS) if 2) does not work
Hi, thanks for help. To be honest, I have tried the first step (motion for mandamus) twice, but not done by myself, it's submitted by a Chinese Women in Canada which supplies the Immigration Services. I paied her money and she helped me with the process. Ufortunately, I just received the 'no reason' information and it did not work any more.

There is one thing I want to mention is that she does not have the ‘Lawyer license number’, she may cooperate with another lawyer, I don't know the detailed information. For the 1) advice you just mentioned, I plan to find a foreign lawyer with license number to file a writ of mandamus. Do you have the resource? And I ant to know if it will have a bad influence to my application if it fail (doesn't work).

I think your 2) and 3) advice is very valuable, I didn't know them before. I will send email to these three institutions at the same time. And I will ask my friend in Canada to write letter to the address you mentioned.

By the way, I just did the CBSA and CSIS Notes by myself few days ago. I think the results will come out until the end of this month at the earliest. I will know clearly if I am still in Security Checking at that time.

Thanks again, looking forward to your reply.

battylife

Apr 16, 2023
Hi, thanks for help. To be honest, I have tried the first step (motion for mandamus) twice, but not done by myself, it's submitted by a Chinese Women in Canada which supplies the Immigration Services. I paied her money and she helped me with the process. Ufortunately, I just received the 'no reason' information and it did not work any more.
"No reason" replies aren't always bad news.

For the 1) advice you just mentioned, I plan to find a foreign lawyer with license number to file a writ of mandamus. Do you have the resource? And I ant to know if it will have a bad influence to my application if it fail (doesn't work).
This site might not allow posts that promote specific lawyers. Steven Meurrens, Mario Bellissimo, Lev Abramovich, and Cohen Law (the owner of this forum) are the best known and most experienced lawyers with mandamus cases. They are usually also more expensive than less well known lawyers.

Mandamus generally doesn't have a bad influence on your case. If your case fails, it would have failed without mandamus.

I think your 2) and 3) advice is very valuable, I didn't know them before. I will send email to these three institutions at the same time. And I will ask my friend in Canada to write letter to the address you mentioned.
Do not write to NSIRA now. They will only look into your case after you already wrote to CBSA or CSIS and received a reply.

Last edited: