+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT - PRTD Guidance needed

syedaqeel55

Jun 7, 2021
Hi,

We stayed in Canada for 5 months and returned because of a family emergency. Meanwhile, we had not yet received our PR card. Now we have to apply for a PRTD to travel back.

I need help on the following questions:

8: Place where you became a permanent resident:
Do we have to write the port of entry, or the city that we chose to live in? I landed in Toronto, but travelled from there to London, which is mentioned on the COPR as my "city of destination".

9. Number on your record of landing:
Is this the UCI number?

16. Absence while accompanying a Canadian citizen or PR outside Canada:
My husband is accompanying me, but he is not employed by a Canadian set-up abroad. Should i just write "No"?

Also, I was not employed but my spouse was, so we have somewhat different supporting documents to our applications. We will submit two separate application forms, but do we submit them together under one cover letter? Or do we send separate emails with separate cover letters?

Thanks!

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
8: Place where you became a permanent resident:
Do we have to write the port of entry, or the city that we chose to live in? I landed in Toronto, but travelled from there to London, which is mentioned on the COPR as my "city of destination".
The city listed on your COPR, if present.

9. Number on your record of landing:
Is this the UCI number?
Number 9 says "Record of Landing, COPR or PR Card" on the application form I have. See this guide for what they mean.

Client Application Status (cic.gc.ca)

16. Absence while accompanying a Canadian citizen or PR outside Canada:
My husband is accompanying me, but he is not employed by a Canadian set-up abroad. Should i just write "No"?

Also, I was not employed but my spouse was, so we have somewhat different supporting documents to our applications. We will submit two separate application forms, but do we submit them together under one cover letter? Or do we send separate emails with separate cover letters?
You should send your application separately, as complete applications. See the instruction guide for the PRTD for information on how to calculate the days abroad. Note that section 15 says "if the total number of days is equal to or greater than 730 days, skip to the declaration".

Applying for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5529) - Canada.ca

For part 16, the header says "accompanying a citizen or permanent resident", but they only offer two checkboxes, neither of which was relevant. If you put the dates, it requests the number of days and carries that down to the bottom, which is incorrect. As such, I've always left that section as "no", because the purpose of that question is to count the number of applicable days, not know how much time you spend with your spouse in general.

syedaqeel55

Jun 7, 2021
The city listed on your COPR, if present.

Number 9 says "Record of Landing, COPR or PR Card" on the application form I have. See this guide for what they mean.

Client Application Status (cic.gc.ca)

You should send your application separately, as complete applications. See the instruction guide for the PRTD for information on how to calculate the days abroad. Note that section 15 says "if the total number of days is equal to or greater than 730 days, skip to the declaration".

Applying for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (IMM 5529) - Canada.ca

For part 16, the header says "accompanying a citizen or permanent resident", but they only offer two checkboxes, neither of which was relevant. If you put the dates, it requests the number of days and carries that down to the bottom, which is incorrect. As such, I've always left that section as "no", because the purpose of that question is to count the number of applicable days, not know how much time you spend with your spouse in general.

Thanks for the information.

Who is the covering letter addressed to?