+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent proof of citizenship for a job search?

a282

Sep 7, 2018
I submitted an application for proof of citizenship by descent last September. In June, I received a notice that my file has been referred to the program support unit. I haven't seen my Canadian parent since I was 14 and I don't know if their citizenship is as of 1977 or 2009, so it makes perfect sense that it would get referred. Honestly though, I was expecting a flat out rejection.

I'm a graduate student in the US and I'll be completing my program this fall. I would like to apply for jobs in Canada but I want to have proof of citizenship before doing so (if it exists). An agent at CIC sent me a link on how to apply urgently and one of the examples was to prove you are Canadian for a job. So would job searching qualify? Or would I need to have a job offer?

If it's the latter, it kind of seems like there non-guarantee of urgent processing could ruin a person's career.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Well the Government would probably need proof of a job offer to "consider" urgent processing, otherwise everyone could state they are requesting urgent processing because they are "looking", for a job that requires citizenship. As with many things with the Government, proof is required.

However check out the link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:

needing Canadian citizenship to:
apply for a job
avoid losing your job
go to a Canadian school, college or university

The caveat is the "you MUST be eligible for citizenship", You are at the stage they are still investigating if you are eligible or not, that determination has yet to be made
And as you stated, you were expecting a flat out rejection

Last edited:

a282

Sep 7, 2018
Well the Government would need proof of a job offer to "consider" urgent processing, otherwise everyone could state they are requesting urgent processing because they are "looking", for a job that requires citizenship. As with many things with the Government, proof is required.
It's amazing the slight difference between Canada and the US on how they do these things. Over here, you can usually get faster processing if you pay more.

So unless someone can find an employer who is patient and isn't in urgent need, they pretty much just have to wait it out.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's amazing the slight difference between Canada and the US on how they do these things. Over here, you can usually get faster processing if you pay more.
Premium processing in the US applies to other immigration processes (e.g. H-1B) - but not to citizenship / naturalization. You can request urgent processing for US citizenship / naturalization (no fee) but it's much like Canada, there's no guarantee they'll consider it and there needs to be a very strong driver for this. So actually no real difference between the two countries.

Reactions: jc94

a282

Sep 7, 2018
Premium processing in the US applies to other immigration processes (e.g. H-1B) - but not to citizenship / naturalization. You can request urgent processing for US citizenship / naturalization (no fee) but it's much like Canada, there's no guarantee they'll consider it and there needs to be a very strong driver for this. So actually no real difference between the two countries.
I was implying my experience of getting proof of American citizenship. I paid an extra fee, required no documentation, and my passport arrived the following week.

Han

Feb 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 :)
I was implying my experience of getting proof of American citizenship. I paid an extra fee, required no documentation, and my passport arrived the following week.
You did not apply for "citizenship grant". You applied for passport and by paying more you expedited the process. Almost same story in Canada! If you are applying for the grant of citizenship, there needs to be a strong reason to speed up the process. If it is the passport, you pay more and you get it earlier!

a282

Sep 7, 2018
You did not apply for "citizenship grant". You applied for passport and by paying more you expedited the process. Almost same story in Canada! If you are applying for the grant of citizenship, there needs to be a strong reason to speed up the process. If it is the passport, you pay more and you get it earlier!

I'm not applying for a grant of citizenship in Canada, either. I submitted an application for proof of citizenship to see if I was born a Canadian from my parent.

Han

Feb 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 :)
I'm not applying for a grant of citizenship in Canada, either. I submitted an application for proof of citizenship to see if I was born a Canadian from my parent.
Right! That is still different from being a citizen and applying for a passport. If you don't have a strong reason, you won't get urgent processing.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
It seems like it would be hard to find an employer willing to wait that long.
I just got out of Program Support and it took 2 years; I'm sure the employer does not want to wait that long. So if they really want to hire you, I'm sure they would be glad to give you a conditional job offer letter to support your request for urgent processing.

I submitted an application for proof of citizenship by descent last September. In June, I received a notice that my file has been referred to the program support unit. I haven't seen my Canadian parent since I was 14 and I don't know if their citizenship is as of 1977 or 2009, so it makes perfect sense that it would get referred. Honestly though, I was expecting a flat out rejection.
I can help you determine this if you post how your parent got citizenship, his/her year of birth, and your year of birth. If you post more details though, it would be more helpful.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I can help you determine this if you post how your parent got citizenship, his/her year of birth, and your year of birth. If you post more details though, it would be more helpful.
Seconding this. hawk39 is one if not the expert on this.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Getting a Passport is not getting proof of citizenship. You were already an US citizen when you applied for your passport