+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Proof of Citizenship and Passport for Newborn

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
I was hoping to get some information regarding my situation but was unable to contact a person to speak to.

I am a Canadian citizen by birth and currently live in California with my husband(US citizen by birth). I applied to sponsor him as we planned to relocate to Vancouver, BC, where I am originally from, in March of 2020. He was granted PR status earlier this year, however we soon after found out we were expecting our first child. We decided to have the baby here (California) and move after her birth. She is due Dec 4 2019.

My questions are:

Is proof of citizenship required in order to relocate her to Canada with us? We are aware that in order to obtain a canadian passport, we need proof of citizenship which can take many months, however we were not sure if she would be able to enter Canada with her US passport, allowing us to apply for her canadian passport once her citizenship proof arrives?

Also, is there a way to apply for both proof of citizenship and passport simultaneously? Our main concern is her medical care coverage/ eligibility once moving back to Vancouver and we intend to apply for proof of citizenship with urgent processing.

Salve

Oct 10, 2019
Hello
I have the same situation. My two kids born in abroad. when I was sponsored the mother then. Last week they told me they can get the visa because I am Canadian by the new rules. I will need to apply for the proof citizenship and Canadian Passport alin other for the family to come to Canada also the mother will get Visa once the two kids got the

Salve

Oct 10, 2019
Hello.
I need to apply Argent process for the Certificate Citizenship and Passport.
Thanks.

Salve

Oct 10, 2019
Hello
I have the same situation. My two kids born in abroad. when I was sponsored the mother then. Last week they told me they can get the visa because I am Canadian by the new rules. I will need to apply for the proof citizenship and Canadian Passport alin other for the family to come to Canada also the mother will get Visa once the two kids got the

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was hoping to get some information regarding my situation but was unable to contact a person to speak to.

I am a Canadian citizen by birth and currently live in California with my husband(US citizen by birth). I applied to sponsor him as we planned to relocate to Vancouver, BC, where I am originally from, in March of 2020. He was granted PR status earlier this year, however we soon after found out we were expecting our first child. We decided to have the baby here (California) and move after her birth. She is due Dec 4 2019.

My questions are:

Is proof of citizenship required in order to relocate her to Canada with us? We are aware that in order to obtain a canadian passport, we need proof of citizenship which can take many months, however we were not sure if she would be able to enter Canada with her US passport, allowing us to apply for her canadian passport once her citizenship proof arrives?

Also, is there a way to apply for both proof of citizenship and passport simultaneously? Our main concern is her medical care coverage/ eligibility once moving back to Vancouver and we intend to apply for proof of citizenship with urgent processing.
Yes, you can apply concurrently for a limited validity Canadian passport and the Certificate of Citizenship. The passport can be issued before the certificate is processed with proof of imminent travel.

Reactions: Salve

Salve

Oct 10, 2019
Yes, you can apply concurrently for a limited validity Canadian passport and the Certificate of Citizenship. The passport can be issued before the certificate is processed with proof of imminent travel.
Thanks for the reply l. I don't understand a limited validity canadian passport and the Certificate of Citizenship.
Would you explain to me please how to do that?
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply l. I don't understand a limited validity canadian passport and the Certificate of Citizenship.
Would you explain to me please how to do that?
Thanks
Nothing to explain. Apply for the Certificate of Citizenship and a passport.

MacnCheese

Star Member
Oct 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20 Jan 2015 sponsorship submitted to Mississauga
Doc's Request.
20 Aug 2015
AOR Received.
18 Mar 2015, SA received 02 April 2015
Med's Done....
06 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
5 Oct 2015
VISA ISSUED...
15 Oct 2015
We did similar from the Netherlands. Contact the Canadian embassy to be certain but I recall we submitted both passport and citizenship applications together. You can only get a 2 year passport this way but I think we got her citizenship in less than 2 months. She wasn't eligible for Dutch citizenship so it might have been quicker for us as she didn't have any citizenship until it was issued.
When you return to BC you'll likely need to wait 3 months for provincial health care so make sure you get health insurance for the gap.

Salve

Oct 10, 2019
We did similar from the Netherlands. Contact the Canadian embassy to be certain but I recall we submitted both passport and citizenship applications together. You can only get a 2 year passport this way but I think we got her citizenship in less than 2 months. She wasn't eligible for Dutch citizenship so it might have been quicker for us as she didn't have any citizenship until it was issued.
When you return to BC you'll likely need to wait 3 months for provincial health care so make sure you get health insurance for the gap.
You mean you can do both at the same time. What your recommendation to apply in Canada or to the embassy.

Thanks

DL2017

Dec 26, 2017
Thank you for your response. We are aware we can apply concurrently but our question is how? We do not have proof of citizenship. How do we get around that?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your response. We are aware we can apply concurrently but our question is how? We do not have proof of citizenship. How do we get around that?
You include the certificate fee receipt and a letter of explanation that you are applying for a limited validity passport based on the certificate app.