+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Processing for Grant of Citizenship timeline

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Does your job REQUIRE you to have a Canadian passport? Is it a federal government job? Do you have a conditional offer in hand?
I concur in the gist of this query, which I understand to emphasize the limited scope of what will qualify for urgent processing.

But some clarification may be warranted:

Clarification: if the job requirement is primarily about having a Canadian passport that will ordinarily NOT qualify for urgent processing. If the job requirement involves a substantive basis establishing the need to be a Canadian citizen (special security element for example), without regard to whether the person has a Canada passport, there is a better chance it will qualify for urgent processing.

There has long been a tendency to conflate needing a Canadian passport, typically to facilitate travel for business purposes, with the need to be a Canadian citizen. That is not what qualifies for urgent processing.

One way to look at this is to ask if, alternatively, a U.S. passport would suffice for the job. If a U.S. passport will alternatively suffice for the job, then it is almost certain the job's requirement to be a Canadian citizen will NOT qualify for urgent processing.

Note: I recognize and acknowledge that there are more than a few who do not see it this way. So it goes. They are wrong. So it goes. The clarification I just noted has been explored and explained sufficiently in many older threads and posts, and really needs no elaboration, and warrants no argument. This is a situation in which requesting urgent processing has NO negative implications. And, even in the circumstances I describe, perhaps some will indeed be given urgent processing. So it is OK to make the request and see what happens. I offer (actually repeat, as this has been noted in this forum many times) this clarification simply to inform, to minimize unrealistic expectations. Again, some might actually be given urgent processing even if the reason they "need" Canadian citizenship is in order to have a Canadian passport, but ORDINARILY that does not qualify for urgent processing.

mae_g

Oct 30, 2017
What do you mean?

Does your job REQUIRE you to have a Canadian passport? Is it a federal government job? Do you have a conditional offer in hand?
i don't really get the caps lock and the quick judgement and deep questions on my personal life but yes, my job REQUIRES the citizenship, it IS a federal government job, i DO have a conditional offer at hand and a LETTER from my governmental employer explaining how time sensitive that issue is as they do NEED my citizenship to be able to fully hire me by the end of this fiscal year.

I came here on this forum just to share experience on the application process and compare processing times and delays with fellow applicants for my own information, but I am quite baffled by the bluntness of some comments, and by the unnecessary judgements by self-proclaimed immigration experts as to whether or not our demands are relevant.
I'll therefore let you discuss if my demand is worthy of your kind judgement :)

good luck to you all! I

transformer

Star Member
Jul 12, 2007
i don't really get the caps lock and the quick judgement and deep questions on my personal life but yes, my job REQUIRES the citizenship, it IS a federal government job, i DO have a conditional offer at hand and a LETTER from my governmental employer explaining how time sensitive that issue is as they do NEED my citizenship to be able to fully hire me by the end of this fiscal year.

I came here on this forum just to share experience on the application process and compare processing times and delays with fellow applicants for my own information, but I am quite baffled by the bluntness of some comments, and by the unnecessary judgements by self-proclaimed immigration experts as to whether or not our demands are relevant.

good luck to you all! I
People are just jealous that you might get urgent processing.

Based on the info you provided I suspect you will get urgent processing and it will probably shave a few months on your application (minimum). What usually causes delays is security

A trend on this forum is that everyone expects to get their citizenship within 1 month rather than the 1 year prescribed as per the CIC website.

Folks you have waited 3+ years, you can a few more months :)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
ok guys some examples of urgent processing from my understanding on cic website
1. frequent trips to US for work, not doing them might get you fired
2. US rejected your visa or you had visa but you are in the lucky list of countries which are banned even with visa
3. home country passport is almost expired no embassy/consulates in Canada to renew (the closest ones are US again but there you are banned to enter); and in your home country you cannot go because of war and safety
4. need to travel urgent for family emergency (like close member is gravely ill or God forbid funeral) and you have no passport (see no 3)

So there can be situations and people stuck that is why they made this option; but in my opinion it all comes with solid proof; i hope whoever is accepted as urgent will get it soon because they really need it :(

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017

good luck to you all! I
I am sorry if you felt anyone was making judgment on you or asking you personal questions. We were only asking you these questions (none of which were personal) for 2 reasons:

1. To help you determine, through mutual brainstorming, whether you will qualify for urgent processing.

2. To see from you what reasons you used for urgent processing, so others in the same boat, can do the same.

It was our assumption that by coming to this forum and sharing one's thoughts, you were also inclined to help others, and learn from others. As such, any questions asked were only to help you, and other forum members. If you felt like too many questions were asked from you, and to the extent you hold me responsible, I apologize. I really don't have any interest in anyone's personal life, other than sharing experiences for mutual benefits, WITHOUT making anyone uncomfortable.

I will now get to the details you have provided. In your situation, I would think it is likely that your request for urgent processing will be favorably considered and probably granted. It is people like you precisely, who will be working at sensitive government jobs, that are the true beneficiaries of urgent processing. That said, I am not an expert, nor do I purport to be one. I am a mere forum member and so please take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Please keep us posted on how fast you get it, and good luck.

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
I concur in the gist of this query, which I understand to emphasize the limited scope of what will qualify for urgent processing.

But some clarification may be warranted:

Clarification: if the job requirement is primarily about having a Canadian passport that will ordinarily NOT qualify for urgent processing. If the job requirement involves a substantive basis establishing the need to be a Canadian citizen (special security element for example), without regard to whether the person has a Canada passport, there is a better chance it will qualify for urgent processing.

There has long been a tendency to conflate needing a Canadian passport, typically to facilitate travel for business purposes, with the need to be a Canadian citizen. That is not what qualifies for urgent processing.

One way to look at this is to ask if, alternatively, a U.S. passport would suffice for the job. If a U.S. passport will alternatively suffice for the job, then it is almost certain the job's requirement to be a Canadian citizen will NOT qualify for urgent processing.

Note: I recognize and acknowledge that there are more than a few who do not see it this way. So it goes. They are wrong. So it goes. The clarification I just noted has been explored and explained sufficiently in many older threads and posts, and really needs no elaboration, and warrants no argument. This is a situation in which requesting urgent processing has NO negative implications. And, even in the circumstances I describe, perhaps some will indeed be given urgent processing. So it is OK to make the request and see what happens. I offer (actually repeat, as this has been noted in this forum many times) this clarification simply to inform, to minimize unrealistic expectations. Again, some might actually be given urgent processing even if the reason they "need" Canadian citizenship is in order to have a Canadian passport, but ORDINARILY that does not qualify for urgent processing.
Considering that you are senior member, and always willing to help, would you please take out some time and share with us, based on your experience in this forum, the general situations where people were successful in getting their citizenship applications urgently processed? I think all those who are following this thread will benefit from your thoughts and recollections.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Considering that you are senior member, and always willing to help, would you please take out some time and share with us, based on your experience in this forum, the general situations where people were successful in getting their citizenship applications urgently processed? I think all those who are following this thread will benefit from your thoughts and recollections.
I am NOT an expert.

In following these things for nearly a decade now, I can say that reports of urgent processing for grant citizenship applications are RARE.

But there is no harm in making the request. So I do not mean to discourage anyone from making a request for urgent processing if they sincerely believe their circumstances show a need for urgent processing. Giving an application urgent processing is totally discretionary, so if one makes a personally compelling case for urgent processing, IRCC may very well give the application urgent processing.

Otherwise, my main point was cautionary, aimed at minimizing unrealistic expectations.

The main thing is that many conflate needing citizenship with needing a Canadian passport. They are NOT the same thing.

Thus, for example, I think the following is wrong:

some examples of urgent processing from my understanding on cic website
1. frequent trips to US for work, not doing them might get you fired
That is an example of needing a Canadian passport to travel, NOT an example of needing Canadian citizenship as a legitimate job requirement. But again, in the particular case IRCC might indeed facilitate urgent processing.

Otherwise: most anecdotal accounts tend to suggest that but for unusual situations, very unusual situations involving individuals particularly qualified for specific positions for which they are specially qualified and positions which need to be filled on a virtual emergency-like basis, mostly in government or in security-related fields, the citizenship-needed-for-a-job reason for urgent processing appears to have a very low success rate.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........

good luck to you all! I
They are jealous and impatient and wish they had a reason for urgent processing. If you have a question let us know the sane one will answer it correctly.

pretoria11

Mar 6, 2014
FYI: I called to ask if there's any way to find out whether an urgent processing request is approved or not, the call centre agent said (direct quote) "uh, usually they include something like, 'blah blah blah is received and will be processed urgently' in the acknowledgement letter." I said I did not see anything like that on my letter. The agent said "ok...let me check..." and he put me on hold for five minutes without asking any of my personal details. Came back, "usually they do that. Can I get your personal info?" Once my info verified he told me he doesn't see anything regarding urgent processing on ECAS. And that's the end of the conversation.

My timeline:
Delivered: Oct 16
AOR letter: received on Dec.11
ECAS shows application received on Oct. 18

Personally I can't come to a conclusion whether my urgent processing request was accepted or denied, but I could not care less...all I needed to know is that it is received:)