+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT! Problem with my Post graduate work permit renewal

elcholoboritos

Sep 20, 2015
So I am in a bit of a concern here. I graduated from a Canadian University on April and immediately applied for a Post graduate work permit. After going to two lawyers and checking the website constantly, I was more than sure that my work permit was going to last for three years, which is the amount of time they give foreign students if the graduated from a full time four year long program, just like I did. I finally received my post graduate work permit last week, but read that it will only be valid until the 31st of January of 2016 (about FIVE months). The reason behind this is that this PGWP was issued to my passport's expire date, which is the exact same (which, by the way, they should have made clear in the website).

As you can imagine, I am freaking out. The length of this work permit is not even the minimum of eight months and it doesn't even give me enough time to get enough work experience for an Express Entry.

At the bottom of my passport it says that I have to renew it in order to extend my stay. But when I searched online on how to renew my PGWP all I see is that it is a one time kind of thing and that it is impossible to renew it. People say that I have to get an open work permit which requires (correct me if I'm wrong) an LMIA, which I believe that it is extremely hard to get since it is only given to works that are related to science and engineering and that no other Canadian can fill.

I feel that I have no options. I am so scared that I can't even sleep or eat. I tried to call CIC but they open on Monday and i need answers as soon as possible. If you can provide them I would be so glad.

Hope to herar from you soon. Take care!

aamro1992

Jul 10, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-March-2017
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-June-2017
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2017
If the PGWP is expiring because of your passport expiring, then you can renew it. People do it all the time. you shouldn't worry