+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

urgent problem for my study permit

mart.dvt

May 22, 2018
In my letter of introduction (POE), it is said:

Your application to study in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing your studies will be issued to you
on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency, subject
to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations.
The officer will ask to see this letter, your passport and may request to see your supporting documents, such as
the letter of acceptance from your educational institution.

You must seek entry to Canada to obtain your study permit by (2021/07/02). Your passport must
be valid beyond the period you intend to remain in Canada. If not, the validity of your study permit will not be
issued beyond the expiry date of your passport, or, for United States citizens and permanent residents, the
validity date of your identity document.​

There is nothing stating that it will expire if I do not enter after 90 days or even if I change my program (or even institution).

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
In my letter of introduction (POE), it is said:

Your application to study in Canada has been approved. A permit authorizing your studies will be issued to you
on your arrival to Canada following an examination by an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency, subject
to your compliance with the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations.
The officer will ask to see this letter, your passport and may request to see your supporting documents, such as
the letter of acceptance from your educational institution.

You must seek entry to Canada to obtain your study permit by (2021/07/02). Your passport must
be valid beyond the period you intend to remain in Canada. If not, the validity of your study permit will not be
issued beyond the expiry date of your passport, or, for United States citizens and permanent residents, the
validity date of your identity document.​

There is nothing stating that it will expire if I do not enter after 90 days or even if I change my program (or even institution).
Despite stating 2021 doesn't guaranteed it not to be canceled when the rules are not been obeyed. Every student with a student permit even in Canada but becomes inactive in studies gets the permit canceled as it is the duties of the DLI to report any irregularities of the students to the IRCC

Almost 8 months is a long time of an inactive school studies. Its advisable for you to reapply for a new SP

mart.dvt

May 22, 2018
Despite stating 2021 doesn't guaranteed it not to be canceled when the rules are not been obeyed. Every student with a student permit even in Canada but becomes inactive in studies gets the permit canceled as it is the duties of the DLI to report any irregularities of the students to the IRCC

Almost 8 months is a long time of an inactive school studies. Its advisable for you to reapply for a new SP
I can ask my Institution whether they have reported it to IRCC or not? In fact, my new admission was like a deferral, so they may not report it. If they did not, is it okay?

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
I can ask my Institution whether they have reported it to IRCC or not? In fact, my new admission was like a deferral, so they may not report it. If they did not, is it okay?
you can always seek for any information from your DLI. I disagree, its not a deferral as the school and you didn't have such correspondence, in fact you switched program which is far from deferring

I hope you resolve your issue on time.. Good luck

mart.dvt

May 22, 2018
you can always seek for any information from your DLI. I disagree, its not a deferral as the school and you didn't have such correspondence, in fact you switched program which is far from deferring

I hope you resolve your issue on time.. Good luck
I have asked from my DLI about reporting to IRCC and fortunately, they have not reported. What should I do now? I have sent a new case specific inquiry, but I am not sure whether they answer or not at at all.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
I have asked from my DLI about reporting to IRCC and fortunately, they have not reported. What should I do now? I have sent a new case specific inquiry, but I am not sure whether they answer or not at at all.
Then you must be lucky.. its not quite frequent getting a response from CIC but trying sending another one if no response came through

since they have not reported, then actually in my OPINION, you can travel as that's the only way to find out but still try to be patience a little while for cic response

mart.dvt

May 22, 2018
Then you must be lucky.. its not quite frequent getting a response from CIC but trying sending another one if no response came through

since they have not reported, then actually in my OPINION, you can travel as that's the only way to find out but still try to be patience a little while for cic response
My admission is for May, 2018 and it is June now. I am highly nervous since it is getting so late. I received a response from CIC yesterday but I am not sure whether they were truly aware of my problem or not. Because in their response, it is said that I can enter along with my S-1 visa and study permit, but I don't mention I have a study permit at all.

This is their response:

Thank you for your email.

Please be informed that since your visa is still valid, you can travel to Canada along with your S-1 visa and your Study Permit and you may study in Canada. Please be advised that you need to carry your new letter of acceptance with you.

I hope this is of assistance to you.​

My inquiry was:

Last year, I took an admission for PhD in Canada for Fall, 2017. So I applied for visa and study permit and after about one month, my student visa was issued and my study permit was approved. Besides, the embassy gave me a letter of introduction to be given to the officer in the airport to issue me a study permit. However, I didn't enter Canada and I was not able to enroll the university because of some personal problems. Instead, I took another admission from my adviser for MSc (not PhD) in the same field and the same university for May, 2018. Although my visa is still valid, but I don't know whether I will be able to take a study permit by my old letter of introduction and new admission letter when I arrive in Canada or not. Could you please help me? It is really urgent.​

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
in ma opinion, print out this exact correspondence between you & cic, and also between you and your DLI regarding if they had reported... and add it to your documents

Get your new LOA and previous LOI, you can still make your classes, be prepared for a tough questions at the airport by the CBSA

if any questions is asked, present the print out of correspondence to them, and come up with a good reasons for not resuming before and this time, on time

mart.dvt

May 22, 2018
in ma opinion, print out this exact correspondence between you & cic, and also between you and your DLI regarding if they had reported... and add it to your documents

Get your new LOA and previous LOI, you can still make your classes, be prepared for a tough questions at the airport by the CBSA

if any questions is asked, present the print out of correspondence to them, and come up with a good reasons for not resuming before and this time, on time
I don't have classes in Summer, it is only my thesis. However, I have sent another case specific inquiry in which I accentuate that I don't have a study permit yet. I am waiting for their response.