+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*URGENT* PR Landing without CoPR

singhshaman

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Hi everyone,

My parents’ PR got approved and they have the Visa stamping done. They are planning to travel tomorrow, but I’m just reading online that they need CoPR to land. They don’t recall having received CoPR with the visa stamping. Is CoPR required for travel?

Please help, thanks in advance.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
CoPR is indeed a needed document for landing. They should have received this paper along with their passports. If they don't have it, this might create problems at the border. I would presume that immigration authorities have access to those documents but I'm not sure if they can provide a replacement at the landing and what are the procedures in that case. Maybe someone with similar experience can provide more feedback.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

My parents’ PR got approved and they have the Visa stamping done. They are planning to travel tomorrow, but I’m just reading online that they need CoPR to land. They don’t recall having received CoPR with the visa stamping. Is CoPR required for travel?

There have been SOME cases where PRs have arrived and CBSA has been kind enough to print it out. No guarantee it will be possible or even considered.

But first thing I'd have them do: have them CHECK AND READ CAREFULLY everything, repeat everything, that they got back from IRCC with the passport request. There should have been a letter and explanations and other things. And the COPR.

The COPR just looks like a printed sheet of paper. Canada symbol with flag in upper left and lower right, CONFIRMATION OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE title, a bunch of personal details and bar codes/UCI/App/Document#.

Last edited:
Reactions: singhshaman

happyCanadian

Sep 30, 2021
Thanks a lot both, my father actually searched again and found the document :)
Hi .. I hope your parents are in Canada now. Could you please share the experiences. My PIL are arriving soon and I have advised them to carry with the following documents

- Paspports x2
- CoPR paper x2
- Marriage certificate original
- Drivers license (FIL)
- Ontario Photo ID (my MIL made, it is still valid, one when she was in Canada before)
- Printout of the airplane ticket

They are not planning to study/work, bit old for that now. Is there anything else shall we advised them to bring?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
They are not planning to study/work, bit old for that now. Is there anything else shall we advised them to bring?
They should have the two photographs, but at least one, submitted to IRCC office/visa office and returned with COPR, that will be used for the permanent resident card.

If they are uncertain, they should go and get another set printed to the specs below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/photo.html

atif ali

Star Member
May 12, 2016
Hi everyone,

Yes, they must need , otherwise they will be deported from the airport.

happyCanadian

Sep 30, 2021
They should have the two photographs, but at least one, submitted to IRCC office/visa office and returned with COPR, that will be used for the permanent resident card.

If they are uncertain, they should go and get another set printed to the specs below.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/photo.html
Yes that was done. So you mean to say that they need to bring photo graphs together with CoPR at the time of landing too?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes that was done. So you mean to say that they need to bring photo graphs together with CoPR at the time of landing too?
They should have received at least one photograph that was submitted back after submitting passports, with the COPR and remaining package. That is what they will use at airport entry to submit (for them) the PR card request. If they can't find one, get a new one made according to the specs because they should have one with them.

Reactions: happyCanadian

happyCanadian

Sep 30, 2021
They should have received at least one photograph that was submitted back after submitting passports, with the COPR and remaining package. That is what they will use at airport entry to submit (for them) the PR card request. If they can't find one, get a new one made according to the specs because they should have one with them.
Yes they had. But you did highlight a good point. I guess the photo should be from less than 6 months. In our case, it has been more than 10 months, so bring a recent photographs as per specification would be a good idea, just in case.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes they had. But you did highlight a good point. I guess the photo should be from less than 6 months. In our case, it has been more than 10 months, so bring a recent photographs as per specification would be a good idea, just in case.
If IRCC saw the photos and returned it to you with copr, no need for new ones. If you want to have extras, fine.

You asked what you'd left out of your list and you didn't mention those. That's it.

Reactions: happyCanadian