ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
Hi all,

I submitted PR card renewal via online portal on 23 Feb 2023 (Friday), as it's last day of that week I am not giving it much consideration for timeline. But starting Monday 26th Feb, I am now in week 4 of waiting with no action whatsoever on my application, which is applied under urgent category for medical reasons with paperwork supplied. It would be one thing if they were asking me for information/photo etc but basically no one has even seen my application so far. I have called IRCC twice, and both times I was told my application is yet to be worked on. Considering people are even getting PR cards without urgency in 2-3 weeks where AI gave errors in inspect mode like primary ID missing/photo error/incomplete application etc and current timeline for normal processing without urgency is 63 days, it seems weird to me that they aren't looking at a digital application fourth week into receiving for an urgent request, let alone process (which I am aware they make no commitment that the application will be processed on urgent basis). I was also unable to attach my application in GCkey, so I obtained the application number from IRCC agent and kept raising technical difficulty webform with screenshots, and finally someone resolved the issue that caused it to not to be attached. I have now attached it to GCkey, and the only information available is that application was submitted on 23 feb and that's it. In "inspect" method in chrome, the application was moved to completed on 26th Feb with photo error. I have received no AOR, email or anything else. I am very anxious at this point, so any anecdotal or otherwise information you can share about trends or timeline or for my next steps would be helpful. Would it make any sense at all to contact MP, and if so, will they entertain the fact that it was applied as urgent or just weigh it under normal processing times?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I submitted PR card renewal via online portal on 23 Feb 2023 (Friday), as it's last day of that week I am not giving it much consideration for timeline. But starting Monday 26th Feb, I am now in week 4 of waiting with no action whatsoever on my application, which is applied under urgent category for medical reasons with paperwork supplied. It would be one thing if they were asking me for information/photo etc but basically no one has even seen my application so far. I have called IRCC twice, and both times I was told my application is yet to be worked on. Considering people are even getting PR cards without urgency in 2-3 weeks where AI gave errors in inspect mode like primary ID missing/photo error/incomplete application etc and current timeline for normal processing without urgency is 63 days, it seems weird to me that they aren't looking at a digital application fourth week into receiving for an urgent request, let alone process (which I am aware they make no commitment that the application will be processed on urgent basis). I was also unable to attach my application in GCkey, so I obtained the application number from IRCC agent and kept raising technical difficulty webform with screenshots, and finally someone resolved the issue that caused it to not to be attached. I have now attached it to GCkey, and the only information available is that application was submitted on 23 feb and that's it. In "inspect" method in chrome, the application was moved to completed on 26th Feb with photo error. I have received no AOR, email or anything else. I am very anxious at this point, so any anecdotal or otherwise information you can share about trends or timeline or for my next steps would be helpful. Would it make any sense at all to contact MP, and if so, will they entertain the fact that it was applied as urgent or just weigh it under normal processing times?

It's entirely up to IRCC if they process your application urgently or not. You can certainly contact your MP but MPs can't really influence processing.

I'm assuming you are well within the residency obligation (i.e. have a large buffer). If so, then just leave Canada if you have an urgent need to be outside of Canada and get a PRTD to return (or have someone in Canada sent you your PR card once available).

Reactions: Ponga

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Note: many online PR card applications meeting the criteria for electronic processing and triaged (electronically) as low complexity are getting approval almost immediately upon submission. This is almost certainly the function of automated-decision-making (employing AI components). That's as fast as the system can possibly process a PR card application (after all, nearly "immediate" is about as fast as physically possible). So there is no possibility of an "urgent" application being processed any faster than that.

This is almost certainly limited to issue-free applications.

So, something to consider: does marking the online application "urgent" and including the supporting documentation trigger triaged complexity precluding an automated-decision? (Assuming the application is otherwise issue-free and meets the criteria for automated-decision-making.) Too late now, but since it is clear that many online applications are getting virtually immediate approval, for those PRs who clearly are eligible to be issued a new PR card and who do not have any potentially complex issues, perhaps the basic online application (not marked urgent) is the best approach to obtaining a new PR card as fast as possible . . . recognizing, however, this is dependent on there being an issue-free application, a totally issue-free application.

Otherwise, PR card applications are generally processed and approved upon opening UNLESS there is reason to not approve it forthwith, and if there is a reason it does not qualify for immediate approval that will necessitate further review.

So, even with paper applications, while the request for urgent processing should mean the application is opened sooner, beyond the time saved in how long it takes to open the application, urgent processing will not make the process of reviewing the application and issuing a new PR card any faster than it is generally for applications that do not need to be referred for additional review.

A key element we do not know is to what extent IRCC will expedite processing, based on a request for urgent processing, when the application does not meet the criteria for a more or less immediate approval. Notwithstanding IRCC's information, including procedure, regarding requests for urgent processing of a PR card application, it appears that IRCC does not commonly expedite such PR card applications, at least not often and not by much.

We also do not know what kind of issue, or what level of an issue, will trigger referrals for additional review and thus likely preclude quickly approving the application, except for the obvious ones. The more obvious reasons triggering addition review include relying on H&C relief, reasons to question residency, reason to think the PR has left Canada for an extended period or is otherwise staying outside Canada, probably those relying on credit for days outside Canada, and of course significant discrepancies or inconsistencies in the PR's information and other information known to IRCC, like more than a minor discrepancy between the PR's travel history and CBSA travel history. Applications subject to additional review for these more obvious reasons are NOT LIKELY to get expedited processing.

Difficult to forecast the extent to which there are some in-between questions or concerns, issues, that more or less mean the application is not approved upon initial review when opened. And if so, we do not know to what extent these will or will not affect whether a request for urgent processing will succeed in getting expedited process in conducting any additional review.

Further Context; General Observations Regarding Limited Expedited Processing of PR card Applications:

There are multiple reasons for why IRCC does not often expedite PR card applications apart from the fact that PRs generally do not need to have a currently valid PR card. Indeed, the only compelling, urgent need for a PR card that IRCC typically recognizes is a compelling necessity to travel to Canada from outside Canada. And in most contexts, most situations, the availability of a PR Travel Document is considered to largely offset this need for urgent processing. There are of course many situations in which timely obtaining a PR TD can be very difficult, or at least extremely inconvenient. However, reducing inconvenience is not generally considered to constitute a compelling necessity.

But the real fulcrum of decision-making underlying this is about what I described above, the fact that generally there is no need to expedite processing a PR card application because PR card applications are generally processed when opened (very quickly if not in effect immediately, within days), at least to the extent there is a decision made to approve the application and issue a new PR card, OR to refer the application into a further review stream.

What really matters is whether the PR card application meets the criteria for what, in effect, is immediate decision-making. Whether urgent or not, these applications (which appear to be most by a good margin) are essentially approved immediately (within a week or two, typically less). Urgent processing not necessary.

Otherwise, when the PR card application does not meet the criteria for what, in effect, is immediate decision-making, additional review is involved and that will most likely preclude urgent processing.

Additional Observation Regarding Online Applications:

As noted, online applications qualifying for electronic processing and meeting the criteria (in triage) for an automated-decision, are getting approved almost immediately upon submission. Timeline to get the new PR card is mostly due to the physical logistics involved in printing and mailing the new card.

It has not yet been confirmed, but it is highly likely that if the online application is not approved by an automated-decision, these applications go into a queue to be opened by a processing official along with paper submissions. Currently paper submissions are not being opened and assessed for around two months (probably just a little less than that), and the same timeline probably applies to online applications that are not immediately approved.

Applications marked "urgent" likely go into a separate, more quickly processed queue for eyes-on review by a processing official.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
I completely understand your perspective(and worry); I have identical timeline but I applied under regular processing. From what I've observed, it seems like they are prioritizing individuals whose cards are expiring sooner (expiration dates within four months (up until June 2024)) than ours. Considering that we are still within their current processing timeline of 62 days, not much we can do other than wait.

Hi all,

harjeetm

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
Hi all,

Hi Parul,

I see the same status for my application under Inspect. Did you receive your PR card?

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
@scylla @dpenabill @tuhadapeo @harjeetm

Thank you everyone for the responses. Here's my rather disappointing update.

- Current processing timeline is 57 days, mine has elapsed for 61 days so it's even outside normal timeline now, let alone being processed as urgent.
- My application was unfortunately been assigned to the office where all applications go to die, Sydney. :(
- I contacted my MP early April, they asked for 5-10 business days to follow up. Tomorrow it will be 10 business days from the date they acknowledged sending query to IRCC, I will follow up if they don't send an update tomorrow. So far nothing.
-I have raised GCMS notes request, wait time to reply is maximum 30 days, unless there is exception.
- "Officially" the only reasoning I have ever got in these 2 months every time I called IRCC is that the application is yet to be looked at, that yes they're aware it is urgent, and yes all the required documents/information is in order. Of all the web forms I raised, only one was replied to saying - at this point we do not need any more information and will let you know if anything else is required. Today I have raised another one on account that I am now outside processing times, so they should hopefully reply but who knows. At this point, this "no one has looked at it" is completely asinine reason that unfairly targets one application over other for no clear criteria. How are you going to process certain non urgent applications in 10 days, and then also have applications that you haven't even looked in 61 days, that was submitted via portal no less. IRCC is an absolute mess with very little oversight or accountability, is the impression I am getting.

At this point I can't help but wonder if I am being profiled or if the officer is biding time to let my RO expire since I am pretty close to it. I changed my ticket twice in hopes of getting a solution and finally had to fly out due to my personal urgency. I am also apprehensive to apply another PRTD so soon, because I literally applied in Feb. At this point, I am not even sure what to expect. Simply waiting hasn't done anything at all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla @dpenabill @tuhadapeo @harjeetm

Thank you everyone for the responses. Here's my rather disappointing update.

- Current processing timeline is 57 days, mine has elapsed for 61 days so it's even outside normal timeline now, let alone being processed as urgent.
- My application was unfortunately been assigned to the office where all applications go to die, Sydney. :(
- I contacted my MP early April, they asked for 5-10 business days to follow up. Tomorrow it will be 10 business days from the date they acknowledged sending query to IRCC, I will follow up if they don't send an update tomorrow. So far nothing.
-I have raised GCMS notes request, wait time to reply is maximum 30 days, unless there is exception.
- "Officially" the only reasoning I have ever got in these 2 months every time I called IRCC is that the application is yet to be looked at, that yes they're aware it is urgent, and yes all the required documents/information is in order. Of all the web forms I raised, only one was replied to saying - at this point we do not need any more information and will let you know if anything else is required. Today I have raised another one on account that I am now outside processing times, so they should hopefully reply but who knows. At this point, this "no one has looked at it" is completely asinine reason that unfairly targets one application over other for no clear criteria. How are you going to process certain non urgent applications in 10 days, and then also have applications that you haven't even looked in 61 days, that was submitted via portal no less. IRCC is an absolute mess with very little oversight or accountability, is the impression I am getting.

At this point I can't help but wonder if I am being profiled or if the officer is biding time to let my RO expire since I am pretty close to it. I changed my ticket twice in hopes of getting a solution and finally had to fly out due to my personal urgency. I am also apprehensive to apply another PRTD so soon, because I literally applied in Feb. At this point, I am not even sure what to expect. Simply waiting hasn't done anything at all.
I don't remember your story. You will need to recap it. Did you meet RO when you applied? Assuming you did meet RO, how many days did you have within the last five years on the day you applied?

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
I don't remember your story. You will need to recap it. Did you meet RO when you applied? Assuming you did meet RO, how many days did you have within the last five years on the day you applied?
Yes I met my RO when I applied, as of today, cutting down the days I have been outside since applying, I still have 40 days left. I stayed in Canada for 3 years after becoming PR but had to move home in covid for care taking (there's more to it, long story). But since that period is not immediate 5 years back, the RO is cutting it pretty close.

I JUST received reply from MP after I made last post. It says:

"As promised, we followed up with IRCC for an update on the status of your PR card application and were advised of the following:
  • The eligibility of your application: passed
  • Other Comments: Since the application has exceeded the normal processing time, the IRCC agent will send a message to the office to follow up. Please note that it may take anywhere between 10 - 15 business days to receive a response from the office. If you do not hear anything from IRCC in 3 weeks, please let us know. We can then contact IRCC for another update."

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I met my RO when I applied, as of today, cutting down the days I have been outside since applying, I still have 40 days left. I stayed in Canada for 3 years after becoming PR but had to move home in covid for care taking (there's more to it, long story). But since that period is not immediate 5 years back, the RO is cutting it pretty close.

"As promised, we followed up with IRCC for an update on the status of your PR card application and were advised of the following:
  • Other Comments: Since the application has exceeded the normal processing time, the IRCC agent will send a message to the office to follow up. Please note that it may take anywhere between 10 - 15 business days to receive a response from the office. If you do not hear anything from IRCC in 3 weeks, please let us know. We can then contact IRCC for another update."
Just to be clear, did you have at least 730 days of actual residency in Canada within the previous five years on the day you applied? I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you had 40 days left.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Ultimately where applications are cutting it very close it's not at all unusual for the application to go into secondary review which makes the application non standard and means normal processing times no longer apply. You'll just have to see what happens and good luck. I would make sure you continue to meet the residency obligation on a rolling basis until you have the actual renewed card.

Reactions: dpenabill

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
Just to be clear, did you have at least 730 days of actual residency in Canada within the previous five years on the day you applied? I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you had 40 days left.
Yes I did have 730+ days of residency when I applied. By 40 I meant to say if I applied today, I would have 730 days+40 days extra of residency in the last 5 years from today. Thanks for your input. Would secondary review not mean there would at least be some note/update on file that it's being processed? The only update my file has both on gckey and as confirmed by IRCC agent is that it's been submitted and that's it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I did have 730+ days of residency when I applied. By 40 I meant to say if I applied today, I would have 730 days+40 days extra of residency in the last 5 years from today. Thanks for your input. Would secondary review not mean there would at least be some note/update on file that it's being processed? The only update my file has both on gckey and as confirmed by IRCC agent is that it's been submitted and that's it.
I don't know. This level of detail might only be available through GCMS notes.

Reactions: ParulB

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This will go long, as too often my posts tend to go.

For you in particular, @ParulB, some of my comments may seen critical, perhaps even harsh. Sorry, but you deserve to see what you might be up against, what you may need to deal with, and thus a chance to approach this more realistically.

I do not address alternatives relying on H&C relief, which may become necessary. You indicate some compelling H&C factors, and I wish you well in that regards. But be aware that relying on H&C relief is risky.

@scylla aptly summed up the situation:
Ultimately where applications are cutting it very close it's not at all unusual for the application to go into secondary review which makes the application non standard and means normal processing times no longer apply. You'll just have to see what happens and good luck. I would make sure you continue to meet the residency obligation on a rolling basis until you have the actual renewed card.
These comments by @scylla cover the situation. As did the comments by @scylla back in January. Albeit, perhaps a bit understated. You may be OK. If so, you will still need to comply with the RO.

But in contrast, this may not go nearly as well as you hope and unless you return to Canada fairly soon your PR status could be in jeopardy, even serious jeopardy.

It appears the job of more fully illuminating the risks, and what you are up against, is left up to me.

At this point, this "no one has looked at it" is completely asinine reason that unfairly targets one application over other for no clear criteria.

IRCC is an absolute mess with very little oversight or accountability, is the impression I am getting.
There are many aspects of your situation which complicate things. You berate IRCC for what is actually typical procedure and standard bureaucratic processing and, frankly, for what was totally predictable. In particular, in your overall situation, given you applied for a new PR card within a few weeks of arriving in Canada after being outside Canada for nearly three years, there was very little likelihood of getting urgent processing, and at best only a moderate chance of routine processing (likely reduced now that you have left Canada in the meantime, which is something you were cautioned about here in January).

Sorry. I do not mean to be mean. It sometimes seems there is a reluctance in this forum to be upfront about bad news, or potentially bad news. But your perspective appears clouded, your expectations unrealistic, and most importantly, you likely need to return to Canada relatively soon, and then STAY here, to avoid having to rely on H&C relief in order to keep your PR status.

And in regards to the latter, assuming you did read the responses to your posts in January, you were aware of this when you made the PR card application.
If they ask you to collect your PR card in person and you aren't in Canada, your best bet will be to fly to the US and reenter Canada through a land border. Applying for a PRTD under H&C will be risky. Note that leaving Canada after applying for a PR card under H&C generally reduces the chances of approval. It would be better to wait until you are actually ready to move to Canada and live here.
. . . at this stage your choices, if you are looking to keep Canadian PR status, are basically limited to either staying here for two years, or rely on making a strong H&C case in the future (when you are ready to come to STAY), recognizing that the longer you are outside Canada, the more difficult it will likely be to make a successful H&C case.
It appears that you are relying a lot on getting a new PR card. Since you applied when eligible for one, and while still RO compliant, there is at least a significant chance your application will soon be approved, a new card issued, and it will be mailed to the address you provided in the application. BUT there is a real risk this will go otherwise; and frankly it is likely this will go otherwise. And thus, if keeping PR status is important for you, it is time to seriously and objectively consider how this might go otherwise, and be prepared for that. Seriously.

Perhaps the biggest risk, what looms as possibly the more likely way this will go, is one of two ways:
(1) your application is approved BUT you will need to pick-up the new card in-person at a local IRCC office, or​
(2) your application is referred for non-routine processing, which could delay a decision for weeks, months, or many months​

Be aware that if the application is referred for non-routine processing, IRCC may indeed NOT complete processing UNTIL you are back in Canada. It is worth noting that either way, that is if IRCC does issue a new card but requires an in-person pick-up, or if IRCC delays finalizing the application pending your return to Canada, this will most likely be in part about requiring you to go through a RO screening just to return to Canada . . . either attendant a PR TD application or screening at a Port-of-Entry upon arrival.

Thank you everyone for the responses.
I hope this does not come across as too snarky, but in addition to appearing not to have read the responses in January, in this post you further comment
"At this point, this "no one has looked at it" is completely asinine reason that unfairly targets one application over other for no clear criteria. How are you going to process certain non urgent applications in 10 days, and then also have applications that you haven't even looked in 61 days, that was submitted via portal no less.
In one of the responses above, which you express thanks for, I went into depth very specifically explaining there was little likelihood of expedited processing, and that an online application that is not approved near immediately will not even be looked at until nearly two months after being submitted. In particular:
. . . it is highly likely that if the online application is not approved by an automated-decision, these applications go into a queue to be opened by a processing official along with paper submissions. Currently paper submissions are not being opened and assessed for around two months . . . and the same timeline probably applies to online applications that are not immediately approved.
I further noted that when opened, what really matters "is whether the PR card application meets the criteria for what, in effect, is immediate decision-making."

At the time I gave that response, a month ago, I did not recall a major factor in your situation, that you had just recently returned to Canada after an absence for nearly three years. Referring to this as a "major factor" might be a major understatement.

In any event, your situation is loaded with criteria inviting closer scrutiny. Not only have you been outside Canada more than you have been in Canada during the previous five years (with what should be obvious implications in regards to reasonable inferences), but the recent absence for nearly three years on its face suggests that you are NOT permanently settled in Canada, that so far you have not done what the grant of PR status was intended for, which is to PERMANENTLY settle in Canada.

That is, there is no hint that your application has been unfairly targeted. Again, your situation is loaded with factors inviting closer scrutiny. At the very least, it was an application that obviously would not meet the low complexity threshold for automated decision-making, so no surprise at all that it was not looked at for two months or so. And it should be no surprise if at this stage the application is referred into a lengthy non-routine processing stream.

This is NOT said to chastise. But to highlight the need to be more objective, more clear-eyed and realistic, in approaching this, to be prepared and able to make good decisions about how to navigate your way through this. Hopefully this goes well, and you are pleasantly surprised by soon having a new PR card mailed to you, BUT there is a real risk that is NOT the direction this is headed.

IRCC will most likely see that you are outside Canada now (from CBSA travel history) and unless your application is promptly approved as-is, this could significantly increase scrutiny and cause further non-routine processing and delay. If that happens, it is likely your GCMS is flagged with an "alert" so even if you avoid making another PR TD application, and come to Canada via the U.S., there is a high risk of elevated screening for inadmissibility upon arrival at a Port-of-Entry.

Reactions: scylla and armoured