+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent **PR Card Renewal "Period to be assessed" and absences from Canada question**

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Hi All - I am applying for PR card renewal. However, I need some advise on filling form.

Became PR on 14-Aug-2017 and left Canada on 17-Aug-2017
From17-Aug-2017, I was outside Canada for around 2 years and returned on 1-July-2019

I am filling PR card renewal form today and my period to be assessed would be 17-Oct-2017 to 17-Oct-2022.

Now, in this case how should I be filling absences from Canada? As I was outside of Canada from 17-Aug-2017 to 1-July-2019,

- What should I be entering in my absences from Canada? Should it be first day of period to be assessed, even though it was not my actual travel date ?
- As I was outside of Canada for initial period of period to be assessed. does it create any problem ?

Kind help..

Thanks !

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Now, in this case how should I be filling absences from Canada? As I was outside of Canada from 17-Aug-2017 to 1-July-2019,

- What should I be entering in my absences from Canada? Should it be first day of period to be assessed, even though it was not my actual travel date ?
- As I was outside of Canada for initial period of period to be assessed. does it create any problem ?
You're overthinking this, you can put your absence from the date you left, even if before the start period. Or does the form calculate your absences for you?

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
You're overthinking this, you can put your absence from the date you left, even if before the start period. Or does the form calculate your absences for you?
When I put the date I left, it increases the number of days outside of Canada. Even with that, I have accumulated over 1100 days.

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Please don't post the same question everywhere. It's a free resource and you've not even waited an hour and a half between your first and second poasts, not even considering the other threads. It can't be that urgent, or if it is, hire a professional.
Apologies. I would keep this in mind for future.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When I put the date I left, it increases the number of days outside of Canada. Even with that, I have accumulated over 1100 days.
You get over 1100 days(out of Canada), but for a period which is longer than five years, correct?

I would put the day before the period under consideration as your day of departure then, which should keep the days abroad under 1095. You can include a letter of explanation that you did it this way because the start of the five year period was while you were away (and the form seems to require you to 'start' in Canada).

I hope that makes sense, I haven't filled out the online one.

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
You get over 1100 days(out of Canada), but for a period which is longer than five years, correct?

I would put the day before the period under consideration as your day of departure then, which should keep the days abroad under 1095. You can include a letter of explanation that you did it this way because the start of the five year period was while you were away (and the form seems to require you to 'start' in Canada).

I hope that makes sense, I haven't filled out the online one.
Sorry for confusion, in both cases i have over 1100 days within Canada.

If i mention actual departure date which is before period to be assessed : I have 1121 days in Canada
If I mention first day of period to be assessed i.e. 16-Oct-2017 : I have 1150 days in Canada

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry for confusion, in both cases i have over 1100 days within Canada.

If i mention actual departure date which is before period to be assessed : I have 1121 days in Canada
If I mention first day of period to be assessed i.e. 16-Oct-2017 : I have 1150 days in Canada
This is applying for PR renewal, correct?

Apologies - I thought you were saying the number of days OUT of Canada risked being over 1100. If it's >1100 days in Canada, nothing to worry about. (Still can include short letter of explanation if you think necessary).

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
This is applying for PR renewal, correct?

Apologies - I thought you were saying the number of days OUT of Canada risked being over 1100. If it's >1100 days in Canada, nothing to worry about. (Still can include short letter of explanation if you think necessary).
Yes, this is for card renewal. Citizenship is in process and will take for ever to complete

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Then I don't think you need to worry, if you've a healthy buffer like that. I thought you were on the edge with close to 1095 days OUT of Canada.
Thanks and one last question, my current card expires in 2 weeks i.e. 1-Nov-2022. Most likely I'll get aor after my card expires. Does it matter if I am renewing card after it has already expired?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks and one last question, my current card expires in 2 weeks i.e. 1-Nov-2022. Most likely I'll get aor after my card expires. Does it matter if I am renewing card after it has already expired?
No issue although if you leave Canada it complicates reentering if you don’t have a valid PR card.

prashantgupta8055

Star Member
Aug 30, 2015
Hi All, one more question please : I renewed my passport in July 2022. Do I need to just send my current passport copies ? Do I need to send copies of old passport that I used for travel as well as for becoming PR of Canada ?