+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[URGENT PLEASE HELP] Study permit extension

satish1990

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ontario
Hello All,

My brother came here in 2014 January on a study permit. He finished almost all his courses except 3 subjects from his last semester. He is been trying to finish it but couldn't due to his personal situations and family problems. He applied for the study permit extension twice and got approved. But he still have those 3 courses left. His current permit is going to expire on March 31st 2018. Can he apply for an other study permit extension now? this is going to be his final one.

Also, he got enrolled for the classes from September 2018 intake since those courses were not available for this January and May 2018.

Does any one know his chances of getting the extension approved if we submit all the documents including his admission and the fees paid receipt? Do we need to write an SOP to support our application?

Please help!!

Thank you very much in advance!

Satish

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello All,

My brother came here in 2014 January on a study permit. He finished almost all his courses except 3 subjects from his last semester. He is been trying to finish it but couldn't due to his personal situations and family problems. He applied for the study permit extension twice and got approved. But he still have those 3 courses left. His current permit is going to expire on March 31st 2018. Can he apply for an other study permit extension now? this is going to be his final one.

Also, he got enrolled for the classes from September 2018 intake since those courses were not available for this January and May 2018.

Does any one know his chances of getting the extension approved if we submit all the documents including his admission and the fees paid receipt? Do we need to write an SOP to support our application?

Please help!!

Thank you very much in advance!

Satish
Hi

He needs to apply for an extension. No on here can say whether it will be approved or not.

He should be aware that he has pretty much no chance of a PGWP.

Also note that as he is not on a scheduled break, he is not allowed to work at all.

satish1990

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ontario
Hello,

Thank you very much for your prompt response!!

Could you tell me what do you mean by "He should be aware that he has pretty much no chance of a PGWP" ?

Wouldn't he get 3 years PGWP after he finish his left over courses by this December since this is a 2 year program ??

Please suggest!

Thank you!
Satish

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello,

Could you tell me what do you mean by "He should be aware that he has pretty much no chance of a PGWP" ?

Wouldn't he get 3 years PGWP after he finish his left over courses by this December since this is a 2 year program ??

Please suggest!

Thank you!
Satish

It means that since your brother didn't study continuously, there is a chance that he won't be eligible for PGWP. Only students who studied full time and continuously except the last semester of the program which can be taken part time will be eligible for PGWP.

Reactions: scylla

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

Please suggest!

Thank you!
Satish
Basic PGWP requirement.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html

Who can apply for a post-graduation work permit?
To get a post-graduation work permit, you must:
  • have continuously studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed that getting a PGWP will likely be challenging since his studies won't meet the "continuous" requirement.

Also - if he was working, hopefully he has stopped since he's not attending school at this time.

satish1990

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ontario
It means that since your brother didn't study continuously, there is a chance that he won't be eligible for PGWP. Only students who studied full time and continuously except the last semester of the program which can be taken part time will be eligible for PGWP.
Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

In that case, since all his left over subjects were from last semester wouldn't he is still not eligible ?

In CIC, they quoted "continuously studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long" . But he did continuously studied for 12 months (which is 3 semesters).

Please let me know if i took it wrong!!

Thank you!
Satish

satish1990

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ontario
Agreed that getting a PGWP will likely be challenging since his studies won't meet the "continuous" requirement.

Also - if he was working, hopefully he has stopped since he's not attending school at this time.

Yes! he never worked since his day 1.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

In that case, since all his left over subjects were from last semester wouldn't he is still not eligible ?

In CIC, they quoted "continuously studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long" . But he did continuously studied for 12 months (which is 3 semesters).

Please let me know if i took it wrong!!

Thank you!
Satish
I think you misunderstood the statement "continuously studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long".

In order for someone to qualify for PGWP, he/she must take a program which could be 8 months long to maximum 4 years long to complete. It doesn't mean to study full time continuously for 8 months or more.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also, in the worst case if he could nt get his PGWP, what are all the other option be has?

Kindly Suggest!

Satish
Depends on what he wants to do.

If he wants to work, he needs a job offer from an employer in Canada, an approved LMIA from the employer and then needs to apply for a closed work permit.