+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT, Please Help - Apply for eTA and Renounce Permanent Residency PR

andrewtmartin

Sep 5, 2022
I lived in Canada 30 years ago with my parents, I didn't realize I had Permanent Residency - I have visited Canada for a holiday in 2004 and this is my first time applying for an ETA. I got a request letter explaining that I needed to renounce my residency (even though I no longer have one). I completed the documents the same day and uploaded them electronically. However with the weekend and labour day I have not heard back yet on my application. Can someone tell me what the normal turn around time is for this? Unfortunately I am due to fly out this week. Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I lived in Canada 30 years ago with my parents, I didn't realize I had Permanent Residency - I have visited Canada for a holiday in 2004 and this is my first time applying for an ETA. I got a request letter explaining that I needed to renounce my residency (even though I no longer have one). I completed the documents the same day and uploaded them electronically. However with the weekend and labour day I have not heard back yet on my application. Can someone tell me what the normal turn around time is for this? Unfortunately I am due to fly out this week. Thanks
It can take weeks to months. An IRCC officer has to review and approve your application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's really hard to guess.

Processing times aren't normal right now unfortunately. There's still a backlog due to COVID and most applications are taking longer to process than normal.

Lately, any eTA that is non-standard for some reason is generally taking at least a few weeks to process, if not a few months. You may get lucky and see much faster processing. Unfortunately it's really impossible for any of us to guess and there's no way for you to track process. You'll just have to wait and hope for the best.

Make sure you have a "Plan B" in the event you don't get the eTA in time and have to defer your trip.

Good luck.

andrewtmartin

Sep 5, 2022
It's really hard to guess.

Processing times aren't normal right now unfortunately. There's still a backlog due to COVID and most applications are taking longer to process than normal.

Lately, any eTA that is non-standard for some reason is generally taking at least a few weeks to process, if not a few months. You may get lucky and see much faster processing. Unfortunately it's really impossible for any of us to guess and there's no way for you to track process. You'll just have to wait and hope for the best.

Make sure you have a "Plan B" in the event you don't get the eTA in time and have to defer your trip.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot - this is really helpful - I should add that I am only transiting through canada - i.e. fly from dublin to calgary and then to the states - however I know I have to go through canadian immigration first and then do US pre clearance in calgary. Do you know if an ETA is still required if I am flying to the US straight away?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot - this is really helpful - I should add that I am only transiting through canada - i.e. fly from dublin to calgary and then to the states - however I know I have to go through canadian immigration first and then do US pre clearance in calgary. Do you know if an ETA is still required if I am flying to the US straight away?
Yes, an eTA is still required. You won't be allowed to board the plane to Canada without an approved eTA. Can you rebook your flight to fly to the US directly?

Reactions: Mvdst

Chinwe40

Mar 23, 2021

Reactions: Mvdst

Mvdst

Jul 29, 2023
Hello all, I’m having the same issue now and flying next week. How long did it end up taking?

Chinwe40

Mar 23, 2021
Hello, did you find out how long it takes?
They never responded. Called IRCC and the agent said the renouncing was approved. But it did show our IRCC portal. So we applied for another ETA which was approved 3hrs later. Best to call IRCC after submitting the documents the officer ask for on you portal

Mvdst

Jul 29, 2023
Thanks a lot! So you submitted the documents to renounce in the portal byt they didn’t get back to you and hence you applied again for the ETA and got it? Do you by any chance have the number of the IRCC? I looked everywhere but couldn’t find this..

Chinwe40

Mar 23, 2021
This is the number I called 1 (888) 242-2100
The agent confirmed it was approved that was why I applied for a new ETA