+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT Permanent Residence for 85 yo Visitor after being diagnosed with terminal illness

NessaEJ

Jul 13, 2019
Hello! I'm writing for suggestions/tips/HELP please. My mom, who is 85, was diagnosed with AML about 2 weeks ago and she's here with a visitor visa which expires on June. Due to her age, COVID-19 and the fact that she would be by herself if she went back to Perú (country with one of the highest death numbers due to COVID-19 worldwide) we need to find a way for her to stay with me and my sister here in Ontario. My sister is a citizen and I got my PR confirmation letter recently... but we're not sure about what can be done for a PR to be processed urgently, specially since OHIP would help cover some of my mom's treatment and no insurance companies would take her now with this condition. Please, any help, idea, suggestions....would help. Thank you in advance!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello! I'm writing for suggestions/tips/HELP please. My mom, who is 85, was diagnosed with AML about 2 weeks ago and she's here with a visitor visa which expires on June. Due to her age, COVID-19 and the fact that she would be by herself if she went back to Perú (country with one of the highest death numbers due to COVID-19 worldwide) we need to find a way for her to stay with me and my sister here in Ontario. My sister is a citizen and I got my PR confirmation letter recently... but we're not sure about what can be done for a PR to be processed urgently, specially since OHIP would help cover some of my mom's treatment and no insurance companies would take her now with this condition. Please, any help, idea, suggestions....would help. Thank you in advance!
When does the insurance run out for her that you bought for her visit ?
OHIP will not cover anything , for her visit , since she’s a visitor
Nothing can be processed urgently. Even if you went the H&C route you’re looking at least a couple years. And the refusals rates can be high .Which they would not be covered by OHIP and you’d have to pay all medical expenses out of pocket .
Sounds like she just arrived, so going back to my first question, what is the expiry date of her travel insurance?
It sounds like that since you and your sibling had already immigrated, she was going to be alone in Peru regardless if Covid occurred or not

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there are no urgent options available. You basically have two options to try to secure PR for her:

1) Submit an H&C application. She won't qualify for health care coverage until she has AIP (approval in principle) which generally takes 1-2 years to receive if IRCC intends to accepted the application. H&C applications do have quite a high refusal rate so I would recommend that you work with a lawyer on the application.

2) Apply to sponsor her through the parent / grandparent sponsorship program. In order for this to be possible, either you or your sister must meet the income requirements and will need to enter the lottery that will open later this year and hope you are selected (there are only a limited number of applications accepted each year). If one of you are selected, processing time for the application will take 1-2 years. She won't qualify for OHIP coverage until her application is approved.

In both of the above cases, there is a chance she may be refused PR due to her medical condition.

Since there are no urgent options available, you need to make a plan for how you will cover the costs of her care for the next 1-2 years at a minimum yourselves (without OHIP coverage).

NessaEJ

Jul 13, 2019
When does the insurance run out for her that you bought for her visit ?
OHIP will not cover anything , for her visit , since she’s a visitor
Nothing can be processed urgently. Even if you went the H&C route you’re looking at least a couple years. And the refusals rates can be high .Which they would not be covered by OHIP and you’d have to pay all medical expenses out of pocket .
Sounds like she just arrived, so going back to my first question, what is the expiry date of her travel insurance?
It sounds like that since you and your sibling had already immigrated, she was going to be alone in Peru regardless if Covid occurred or not
Hi, thanks for your reply. She arrived in November and she cannot go back to Perú with this recent condition Plus she wouldn't be able to receive treatment there. Travel insurance was paid for a year but at the moment it seems they won't cover much of the ER and definitely not the treatment.

NessaEJ

Jul 13, 2019
Unfortunately there are no urgent options available. You basically have two options to try to secure PR for her:

1) Submit an H&C application. She won't qualify for health care coverage until she has AIP (approval in principle) which generally takes 1-2 years to receive if IRCC intends to accepted the application. H&C applications do have quite a high refusal rate so I would recommend that you work with a lawyer on the application.

2) Apply to sponsor her through the parent / grandparent sponsorship program. In order for this to be possible, either you or your sister must meet the income requirements and will need to enter the lottery that will open later this year and hope you are selected (there are only a limited number of applications accepted each year). If one of you are selected, processing time for the application will take 1-2 years. She won't qualify for OHIP coverage until her application is approved.

In both of the above cases, there is a chance she may be refused PR due to her medical condition.

Since there are no urgent options available, you need to make a plan for how you will cover the costs of her care for the next 1-2 years at a minimum yourselves (without OHIP coverage).
Hi,thanks for this info - we didn't know about the H&C application and we will certainly try to find a lawyer. We'll need to look into financial aid as well to plan on the 1-2 years as her treatment costs at least 6k monthly... Thanks again Scylla!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,thanks for this info - we didn't know about the H&C application and we will certainly try to find a lawyer. We'll need to look into financial aid as well to plan on the 1-2 years as her treatment costs at least 6k monthly... Thanks again Scylla!
I don't know what financial aid will be available to her (financial aid is generally not available to visitors) but by all means speak with the hospital.

If you decide to have her apply through H&C, you should avoid taking any financial aid since this can be a reason for refusal under H&C. The best option is for you / your sibling to pay for these costs yourself.

Good luck.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would warn you that if basic treatment cost 6k/month in reality costs are likely to be much higher because there are likely to be some hospitalizations, she may need additional supportive medication to counteract the effects of treatment, you or your sister may need to stop working or take time of, etc. You should go into this process anticipating that you will be responsible for the full cost of treatment. I would expect that whatever hospital you are dealing with will want to talk about payment before starting a longterm treatment. At age 85 treatment options and what the best in terms of quality of life should also be discussed. Perhaps you can try a gofundme or reach out to your community members to do some fundraising.

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Maybe if the situation stabilizes in Europe (Covid - wise) thanks to the ramp up of immunization (I know it is far from obvious), you may consider travelling with her to Europe on a Schengen visa and try to cure her in Europe because in some countries treatments are more affordable, and in some cases if the treatment exceeds a certain duration, your mother could get a social insurance card on humanitarian grounds. I am thinking of France, but there may be other countries too. Again with Covid so many things are upside down, but just as food for thoughts. Maybe you go on sabbatical year.