+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[URGENT] Passport lost by VAC New York while applying for visitor visa

iMoments

Nov 30, 2018
I got the tracking ID via email from the VAC -- there was a consent form required which asked me for my email, but also my online visa application was electronic and happened via email.

I should clarify I applied for a multiple-entry visitor visa online to visit family, not a work visa. So I'm not sure if you applied by paper what the system is.

Did the consent form have a section about getting "help" with your application? I think you may have needed to mention your lawyer and their contact details there. In any case, when you phone them, mention that your email wasn't requested but that you would like to receive emails. And you can give it to them there alongside hopefully getting the tracking ID.
In my consent form, I was asked to put in name, address, date and signature. I called the customer helpline earlier this week and told the same thing and the agent made a note of my name, email and UPS tracking number of the passport package I sent. He told me that he is sending this info to VAC and I should hear back from them. Given their online reviews and pathetic website, I’m not much hopeful of a response. To add to it, I forgot to ask that agent the reference number to my “complaint” which I later realized I could have used in my next call to them.

Today I called them again and this time, the new agent just said that there is a wait time due to holidays and I should give it couple of days more to receive tracking ID (I think that it could be possible but still it’s a lame ruse).

There was a section in consent form where it asked me to fill additional info only if I had received extraneous help in the application and lawyer had asked me to leave that section blank. I am going to call them next week and if I don’t get anything positive by Tuesday, I think I’ll go ahead and drive to NY hoping they just give me my passport. Thanks a lot, Pallavi. I will post the final outcome and thanks a lot for the info. The process is a total chaos & getting online help from you has been helpful!

Pallavi Rao

Oct 23, 2018
In my consent form, I was asked to put in name, address, date and signature. I called the customer helpline earlier this week and told the same thing and the agent made a note of my name, email and UPS tracking number of the passport package I sent. He told me that he is sending this info to VAC and I should hear back from them. Given their online reviews and pathetic website, I’m not much hopeful of a response. To add to it, I forgot to ask that agent the reference number to my “complaint” which I later realized I could have used in my next call to them.

Today I called them again and this time, the new agent just said that there is a wait time due to holidays and I should give it couple of days more to receive tracking ID (I think that it could be possible but still it’s a lame ruse).

There was a section in consent form where it asked me to fill additional info only if I had received extraneous help in the application and lawyer had asked me to leave that section blank. I am going to call them next week and if I don’t get anything positive by Tuesday, I think I’ll go ahead and drive to NY hoping they just give me my passport. Thanks a lot, Pallavi. I will post the final outcome and thanks a lot for the info. The process is a total chaos & getting online help from you has been helpful!
Okay, good luck!

iMoments

Nov 30, 2018
Okay, good luck!
As of today, no update on my passport- none from call center (they say you can email on feedback.canny@vfshelpline.com and inquire, no reply to my email query from the Visa Application Center (I have been mailing them twice a day since yesterday, and to make things worse, no response from my attorney who is on vacation until Dec 11...

This is by far the worst experience - at least I have time until December 21 when I am ideally supposed to fly out of US. Do you remember the carrier (USPS, FedEx etc.) that was used to deliver you the passport?

Pallavi Rao

Oct 23, 2018
As of today, no update on my passport- none from call center (they say you can email on feedback.canny@vfshelpline.com and inquire, no reply to my email query from the Visa Application Center (I have been mailing them twice a day since yesterday, and to make things worse, no response from my attorney who is on vacation until Dec 11...

This is by far the worst experience - at least I have time until December 21 when I am ideally supposed to fly out of US. Do you remember the carrier (USPS, FedEx etc.) that was used to deliver you the passport?
The old VAC required us to send a prepaid envelope along with all the material, so I had sent a prepaid USPS Priority mail envelope with all my other stuff. Once the visa was stamped, it reached me quickly in 3-4 days.

Yes, the Canadian visa has by far been the worst and most opaque process I have ever had with little to no communication from their end. I would suggest calling the call center daily to check with them. I called them 3-4 days continuously until I received a tracking ID.

iMoments

Nov 30, 2018
Hi Pallavi,

I flew to NY and visited the office in person today and it was completely flooded with people like me who flew/drove from different parts of US to find out what was going on with their passports. Fortunately, my passport was stamped with visa and with them. Thank you so much for answering my questions and helping me throughout this process.

Reactions: Pallavi Rao

Maria1991

Dec 10, 2018
Hi Pallavi,

I flew to NY and visited the office in person today and it was completely flooded with people like me who flew/drove from different parts of US to find out what was going on with their passports. Fortunately, my passport was stamped with visa and with them. Thank you so much for answering my questions and helping me throughout this process.
Hi! Have you flown to NY today, December 10th? I´m having the same problem with my passport but today in the VACC´s website appears that the offices are permament closed. I sent my passport a month ago from Chicago and I haven´t received mi tracking ID. I sent lots of emails, visited the Canada´s embassy in Chicago, also phoned the call center many times but I haven´t got any answer. What would you recommend to me? I´m desperate!

iMoments

Nov 30, 2018
Hi! Have you flown to NY today, December 10th? I´m having the same problem with my passport but today in the VACC´s website appears that the offices are permament closed. I sent my passport a month ago from Chicago and I haven´t received mi tracking ID. I sent lots of emails, visited the Canada´s embassy in Chicago, also phoned the call center many times but I haven´t got any answer. What would you recommend to me? I´m desperate!
Yes I went there today, Dec 10th. I met a guy who had similar case who was from Chicago too, the only difference was he sent the documents to CVAC old office by mistake after they had already moved to the new office. He flew down to NY on company’s expense as he was applying for work permit. He explained his case at the counter and they confirmed that the old office had shipped the passport to the new office (Where both I, he and many others were present). They made him wait for 4 1/2 hours like everybody else and then finally gave him a tracking ID. I recommend you to fly down to NY and do the same. It’s a total chaos there and nobody can help you unless you have a friend who can go there on your behalf and waste their entire working day. What date did see CVAC receive your passport?

iMoments

Nov 30, 2018
Yes I went there today, Dec 10th. I met a guy who had similar case who was from Chicago too, the only difference was he sent the documents to CVAC old office by mistake after they had already moved to the new office. He flew down to NY on company’s expense as he was applying for work permit. He explained his case at the counter and they confirmed that the old office had shipped the passport to the new office (Where both I, he and many others were present). They made him wait for 4 1/2 hours like everybody else and then finally gave him a tracking ID. I recommend you to fly down to NY and do the same. It’s a total chaos there and nobody can help you unless you have a friend who can go there on your behalf and waste their entire working day. What date did see CVAC receive your passport?
I understand your desperation and I was in the similar situation like yours not so long ago. Seriously recommend you two go to their new office and have them return you the passport (hoping they have it). Turns out that my passport was in their new office and a visa was stamped and it was just lying there and God knows when I would have received it had I not gone there.

Maria1991

Dec 10, 2018
I understand your desperation and I was in the similar situation like yours not so long ago. Seriously recommend you two go to their new office and have them return you the passport (hoping they have it). Turns out that my passport was in their new office and a visa was stamped and it was just lying there and God knows when I would have received it had I not gone there.
They received on November,14th. I sent my passport to the new office in 145 w 45 th st, NY. Did you go there? Thank you for your answer!

iMoments

Nov 30, 2018
They received on November,14th. I sent my passport to the new office in 145 w 45 th st, NY. Did you go there? Thank you for your answer!
Yes I went to the same address on the fourth floor. I am quite sure that your tracking ID we have been generated and the passport may have been stamped and it might be lying in their office just like my passport. I’m saying this because my passport was received by them on November 16.

Maria1991

Dec 10, 2018
Yes I went to the same address on the fourth floor. I am quite sure that your tracking ID we have been generated and the passport may have been stamped and it might be lying in their office just like my passport. I’m saying this because my passport was received by them on November 16.
Thanks a lot! I will go there!

Maria1991

Dec 10, 2018
Maria - Did you get your passport finally? If yes, was it just lying in New York office like mine was?
Hi! I did yesturday ! And yes, it was just lying at the vac but they were unwilling to give it back to me. Fortunately, after a large negotiation, I was able to get it back. Worst process ever!
Thanks a lot for your tips!

iMoments

Nov 30, 2018
Hi! I did yesturday ! And yes, it was just lying at the vac but they were unwilling to give it back to me. Fortunately, after a large negotiation, I was able to get it back. Worst process ever!
Thanks a lot for your tips!
Glad to know you got your passport. Never again am I going to ship my passport anywhere to anybody.

phoenixsong

Star Member
Feb 14, 2018
Are any of you Express Entry applicants here? Anyone know if NY vo processes COPR for Express Entry? I have received PPR and want to know if I can get the COPR from US, rather than sending it to Ottawa?