+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT PASSPORT APPLICATION

dizzy007

Jun 16, 2016
App. Filed.......
15-10-2017
Hello everyone,

I attended my oath ceremony on Friday August 3rd and we were told to wait 2 business days before applying for the passport.
I went to the Passport Canada office yesterday (Tuesday 7th) around 3pm and I was informed that I was not on the system yet.
The agent also told me that he processed a passport app the day before (Monday) for someone who got oath on the same day as me.
I also checked my ECAS this morning and my status has not changed yet. ( Decision made) even though i've read that some people get their ECAS usually updated after the ceremony.
Could you guys please share your thoughts and suggestions as to what options would be available to me knowing that I have a flight booked on Saturday.
Thank you !

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Hello everyone,

I attended my oath ceremony on Friday August 3rd and we were told to wait 2 business days before applying for the passport.
I went to the Passport Canada office yesterday (Tuesday 7th) around 3pm and I was informed that I was not on the system yet.
The agent also told me that he processed a passport app the day before (Monday) for someone who got oath on the same day as me.
I also checked my ECAS this morning and my status has not changed yet. ( Decision made) even though i've read that some people get their ECAS usually updated after the ceremony.
Could you guys please share your thoughts and suggestions as to what options would be available to me knowing that I have a flight booked on Saturday.
Thank you !
I did my Oath on the August 02 and was told by the clerk don’t applied until today because Monday was a holiday so maybe tomorrow your Ecas will change to complete but you should try the passport office again today and see if they update in their system.

Reactions: dizzy007

dizzy007

Jun 16, 2016
App. Filed.......
15-10-2017
I did my Oath on the August 02 and was told by the clerk don’t applied until today because Monday was a holiday so maybe tomorrow your Ecas will change to complete but you should try the passport office again today and see if they update in their system.
Sounds good thank you ! Do you think ECAS can get updated during the day ? or is it only done at night ?

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Sounds good thank you ! Do you think ECAS can get updated during the day ? or is it only done at night ?
Most times it’s in the morning. I remembered when I got test invite its wasn’t updated and Ecas for a couple of days so you should try the passport office again today so you get your passport on Friday good luck.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Usually ECAS changed to "Complete", within a day of the oath. Depends on OATH office, sometimes lazy clerks take 3-4 days to update everything.
I would not call no one lazy. It could be system, or workload or anything that might delay update. Judging they are being lazy just because it can take 2-3 days to update is inappropriate.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Usually ECAS changed to "Complete", within a day of the oath. Depends on OATH office, sometimes lazy clerks take 3-4 days to update everything.
Maybe instead of calling them lazy, you could realize they might, I don't know, maybe be terribly swamped? By the way, oath is a word, not an acronym, and thus shouldn't be capitalized.

dizzy007

Jun 16, 2016
App. Filed.......
15-10-2017
I would not call no one lazy. It could be system, or workload or anything that might delay update. Judging they are being lazy just because it can take 2-3 days to update is inappropriate.
Maybe instead of calling them lazy, you could realize they might, I don't know, maybe be terribly swamped? By the way, oath is a word, not an acronym, and thus shouldn't be capitalized.
Thank you guys for your contribution. And leave Vietnam alone, he was expressing my frustration even though I understand they might be terribly swamped as sns204 stated.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks . My granpa used to tell me , you will learn till the last day of you life. lol.
Technically, this waiting 48-72 hrs after the oath violates the constitution.
Our constitution says, every canadian citizen has the right to apply passport if we have necessary documents . ie. birth certificate, citizenship certificate, passport form etc. but we don't have that right for 48-72 hrs even tough we carry citizenship certificate. No one going to contest that for sure but I think to absolutely follow that rules, CIC should give us citizenship certificate after we are on the system. Just a thought.

Another thing they can do, some kind of add on when applying for citizenship. We pay 160-200$ extra so they hand us passport as well long with citizenship certificate after oath since citizenship application will have most of the info already. I think that might reduce some government workload.
No it is not unconstitutional. The charter grants every Canadian the right to leave and enter Canada. Like any right, it is not absolute and it is reasonable that the government expects you to prove your status when crossing the border.

With your argument it would be unconstitutional that the government doesn't give a passport to any Canadian the very second he asks for it.

Also, the constitution doens't know a right to a passport, I'm not sure where you have that from.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
LOL I guess there's a difference between right to leave Canada vs. right to leave Canada in 48-72 hours.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Thats an argument and opinion and we both can spend hours without any outcome. Passport canada says, a canadian citizen can apply for passport. Well , we are citizen during the first 48 hrs but we can't apply for passport. I never said about passport right at the second. I said we can't apply for first 48 hrs.
Yeah but that's just a small technicality issue. Not gonna violate the constitution in principle ;)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thats an argument and opinion and we both can spend hours without any outcome. Passport canada says, a canadian citizen can apply for passport. Well , we are citizen during the first 48 hrs but we can't apply for passport. I never said about passport right at the second. I said we can't apply for first 48 hrs.
Direct quote from your post:
"Technically, this waiting 48-72 hrs after the oath violates the constitution. Our constitution says, every canadian citizen has the right to apply passport if we have necessary documents"

That's what I mean is not true. There is no constitutional right to a passport, that's all I'm saying.
This is not a detail, but an important point. There are fundamental court cases that established that.

In fact, issuing passports is a Royal Prerogative in Canada. That means the government can say "No, we are not giving a passport to this guy" as long as they have valid reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_prerogative#Canada

"The issuance of passports also remains within the royal prerogative in Canada. The terms for the issuing of passports by the Minister of Foreign Affairs on behalf of the Crown are set out in the Canadian Passport Order, issued by the Governor General-in-Council. The Canadian government has used the royal prerogative on two occasions to deny a passport to a Canadian citizen, Abdurahman Khadr and Fateh Kamel. Lawsuits filed at the Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal, and ultimately the Supreme Court of Canada did not find in favour of either Khadr, nor Kamel."

So the Supreme Court of Canada, which is the ultimate authority in constitutional matters, has established that the Canadian government has the right to refuse issuing passports.

So, no, this is not a matter of opinion and arguments. There is no constitutional right to a passport. The Supreme Court has spoken. Period.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Go back to the passport office next day and hopefully you'll be in the system.

Funny thing is when they used to issue those old citizenship cards(certificate) everyone used to flock to passport office right away after oath and applied. I know our whole group did that to get it done within same day as everyone took a day off from work. It was convenient for us scarboro people.

Now this new thing about "entering into the system" and waiting 2-3 days. It's a hassle if u really need to travel right away after oath.
but this is IRCC so what can you expect. Overloaded system with small staff.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Sorry for cross-posting, but I am in a similar situation and have posted this yesterday in another thread asking for anyone who has had experience or knowledge of this.

I got the invitation for the oath on 22 August, but I have a trip to the US planned for 24 August. There will be no chance to get a new passport in time, therefore the plan was to leave Canada with my other passport and then request a temporary travel document once in the US.
I have realized that it is possible to obtain a special authorization if you:
  • have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days,
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country,
And:
  • have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • you were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Of course this is limited to those coming from a visa-exempt country, but it looks like it is much easier than an emergency travel document and it allows a one-off get-out-of-jail card for those who need to travel straight after the oath.

Has anyone used this procedure, or know anyone who has used this procedure?