+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: No last name

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
According to the CIC website, give the First Name in 'Last Name' column http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4
Did you already book tickets?
Hello Sir i am going to apply to sds canadian student visa. The issue is that my whole name which is Rahil Khan is written in surname portion on the passport and my given name is blank there is nothing its empty.Now while applying to visa online on portal they are asking for first name which I don't have on my passport so sir what should I do I can't leave it blank because it is mandatory and I cannot use the sign of dash(-) in place of it because special characters are not allowed.Kindly help me

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
I have a similar question. My Canadian passport has surname of "Kim Shua Tan" and given name of "XXX", which means empty given name. In reality, my first name should be Kim Shua and last should be Tan.

Can I book my flight ticket with Kim Shua as first name and Tan as last name? I do not want to book the ticket with my first name as XXX.
Hello Sir i am going to apply to sds canadian student visa. The issue is that my whole name which is Rahil Khan is written in surname portion on the passport and my given name is blank there is nothing its empty.Now while applying to visa online on portal they are asking for first name which I don't have on my passport so sir what should I do I can't leave it blank because it is mandatory and I cannot use the sign of dash(-) in place of it because special characters are not allowed.Kindly help me

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
No you cannot leave it blank. I just applied Canadian passport and thats what the officer told me.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
XXX is indicated as what you can provide where a first name is required by systems and is understood to mean no first name.

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
In the blank where first/given name is requested, enter XXX. They will understand that this means you do not have a first name.
Sir i checked the website and portal again i was mistaken Given name is optional i can leave it blank and called the scotia bank bcz on their website while creating account first name is compulsory so I told them my situation that I don't have first name they told me to enter your surname in your first name and after receiving secured Email send your passport and tell us to update your name we will update it according to your passport so almost everything is good now will it create any problem during visa officer reviewing my case??

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sir i checked the website and portal again i was mistaken Given name is optional i can leave it blank and called the scotia bank bcz on their website while creating account first name is compulsory so I told them my situation that I don't have first name they told me to enter your surname in your first name and after receiving secured Email send your passport and tell us to update your name we will update it according to your passport so almost everything is good now will it create any problem during visa officer reviewing my case??
Can't understand your VERY long sentence or what you're talking about or why scotia bank is involved. Cant' help you.

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
Sir i am just checking i will apply after few days first I was talking about applying visa I told you about the portal in cic website while applying First name is optional Secondly i am talking about GIC account creation that there First namr is required..

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sir i am just checking i will apply after few days first I was talking about applying visa I told you about the portal in cic website while applying First name is optional Secondly i am talking about GIC account creation that there First namr is required..
And I am repeating: if for something with IRCC a form requires a given/first name, you can put XXX.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
ok sir sorry for disturbing you but will it cause any problem can't i leave it blank?Visa rejection or any other problem?
You were the one who said that you can't complete the form without entering something there - so that's the problem that leaving it blank causes.

If you don't have this problem, then no need to solve it.

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
You were the one who said that you can't complete the form without entering something there - so that's the problem that leaving it blank causes.

If you don't have this problem, then no need to solve it.
Yea because i was putting - in that section again and again did'nt notice that it can be left blank

RickyT

Star Member
Sep 13, 2015
How do people not have a last name? It doesn't many any sense at all. When you are born you are given and first and last name (family name).

Without a last name it makes it impossible to track or locate any family members, so strange.