+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent! Need advice.

Evell

Dec 15, 2016
I know this will be a lot to read here, but i truly need and appreciate your help!!

I'm from the US and my husband is Canadian. Ive been living here for almost 3 years on a student visa.
I applied for permanent residency December 2017.

My student visa expires November 30th,2018. I have recieved my landing invitation letter, AND i was told someone from the IRCC would be reaching out to contact me to finalize my status.

I NEED advice if you think I should apply for a student visa extension or just be patient and expect someone to contact me before my student Visa expires. I don't want to get in trouble for staying after my visa expired but I also don't want to uproot my entire life while waiting on this last step to be accepted.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

dante1383

Aug 3, 2016
Since you have received your landing invitation letter you should be fine without renewing. When you are on an application you have implied status anyway if your permit runs out and seeing as your application is almost complete, you shouldn't have anything to worry about

Reactions: Evell

Evell

Dec 15, 2016
Since you have received your landing invitation letter you should be fine without renewing. When you are on an application you have implied status anyway if your permit runs out and seeing as your application is almost complete, you shouldn't have anything to worry about
Is implied status given to anyone who is applying for visas? I was worried it was only for Visting visas.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
This is absolutely incorrect. Having an application submitted gives you absolutely no status at all. The ONLY time you have implied status is when you submit an extension app or an owp app or change in status and are waiting on a decision

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Is implied status given to anyone who is applying for visas? I was worried it was only for Visting visas.
You dont have implied status. I suggest you submit a visitor visa application to get imploed status

Reactions: scylla

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Normal PR application doesn't give implied status. There needs to be an OWP or status extension app in process (possibly some others) in order to have implied status.

@Evell this is wrong information.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
There is no "implied status" just by having a PR application in progress. It only applies if an extension/change visa or work permit is also applied for. The PR application provides zero immigration status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I know this will be a lot to read here, but i truly need and appreciate your help!!

I'm from the US and my husband is Canadian. Ive been living here for almost 3 years on a student visa.
I applied for permanent residency December 2017.

My student visa expires November 30th,2018. I have recieved my landing invitation letter, AND i was told someone from the IRCC would be reaching out to contact me to finalize my status.

I NEED advice if you think I should apply for a student visa extension or just be patient and expect someone to contact me before my student Visa expires. I don't want to get in trouble for staying after my visa expired but I also don't want to uproot my entire life while waiting on this last step to be accepted.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
There is no urgency. If you haven't landed by Nov 29th, apply for an extension.

Evell

Dec 15, 2016
Thank you all for clarifying!

I suppose my best course of action is to wait until mid november and if I havent heard anything by then, I will apply for an extension to gain the implied status.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Being out of status
Thank you all for clarifying!

I suppose my best course of action is to wait until mid november and if I havent heard anything by then, I will apply for an extension to gain the implied status.
Like @canuck_in_uk said, if your status expires on Nov 30, you need to apply for the extension by and including that date. So you definitely can take your time and wait til the end of November before applying. Just make sure not to wait til after Nov 30, of course.