+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help - travelling for urgency outside canada on expired PR card but complete Residency obligations

aab9560

Nov 24, 2021
Hello need a help.. PR card expired in May, New PR card is approved but sent to Local office which is closed for collection now..
PR card expired in 18 May 21-
traveling on december 8'21 to USA and returning by road to border(planning to walk across border) on December 26 '21.. as of december 26 would have 745 days in last 5 years (b/w 26dec 2016 - 26 dec 2021)

Any issue would be to enter with expired PR card.. I have a child who is canadian citizen, and have Driver license, insurance, health card, lease and been living for last 450 + days without break.. have a new job starting on January 10, 2022 too. i have a young family in Canada and i dont want them or myself to get into trouble.

Any help, guidance and similar experience would be highly appreciated !!

aab9560

Nov 24, 2021
Please find more details for days - - -
Five years26 dec 2016 - 26 dec 2021
Date fromDate TOboth Days ( including)Location
2016not in canada
2017not in canada
201822-Feb-1807-Mar-1814Canada
08-Mar-1811-Oct-18India
12-Oct-1824-Dec-1874Canada
25-Dec-1804-Jan-19USA
201905-Jan-1922-Jan-1918Canada
23-Jan-1911-Apr-19india
12-Apr-1926-Apr-1915Canada
27-Apr-1929-Apr-19USA (3 days)
30-Apr-1928-Aug-19121canada
29-Aug-1917-Oct-19india
18-Oct-1924-Oct-197canada
25-Oct-1914-Jun-20India
15-Jun-2030-Jul-20USA
202031-Jul-2031-Dec-20154canada
202101-Jan-2108-Dec-21342canada
Total745

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello need a help.. PR card expired in May, New PR card is approved but sent to Local office which is closed for collection now..
PR card expired in 18 May 21-
traveling on december 8'21 to USA and returning by road to border(planning to walk across border) on December 26 '21.. as of december 26 would have 745 days in last 5 years (b/w 26dec 2016 - 26 dec 2021)

Any issue would be to enter with expired PR card.. I have a child who is canadian citizen, and have Driver license, insurance, health card, lease and been living for last 450 + days without break.. have a new job starting on January 10, 2022 too. i have a young family in Canada and i dont want them or myself to get into trouble.

Any help, guidance and similar experience would be highly appreciated !!
Your PR card is in an office for pick-up because you weren’t compliant with your RO when you applied for renewal.

aab9560

Nov 24, 2021
Hello All - I am back in Canada after the ground land border entry, happy to answer any questions.. shout out to all who provided valuable help !

cakmak35

Dec 1, 2021
toronto
Hello All - I am back in Canada after the ground land border entry, happy to answer any questions.. shout out to all who provided valuable help !
can you please give us little more information about your experience with crossing the land border with an expired pr card?
i am waiting for my oath date which is scheuled for 3 months from now and also applied to renew my pr but no updates for now.
i got a family emergency in backhome (mom sick and is gonna have a surgery in about a week)
i am thinking about to doing the same thing but there isnt much info about it online. is there anything that i need to bring it with me i mean any kind of doc. like a landing paper ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
can you please give us little more information about your experience with crossing the land border with an expired pr card?
i am waiting for my oath date which is scheuled for 3 months from now and also applied to renew my pr but no updates for now.
i got a family emergency in backhome (mom sick and is gonna have a surgery in about a week)
i am thinking about to doing the same thing but there isnt much info about it online. is there anything that i need to bring it with me i mean any kind of doc. like a landing paper ?
Bring either your landing paper or expired PR card. Make sure you are re-entering through a US / Canada land border (not flying) and that you are using a private vehicle (i.e no buses).

GoatmealCrisp

Jan 9, 2022
My wife is a new PR still waiting for her first card (COPR received Sept 4). We're booked to travel on Jan 26th. She has a still valid visitor visa to the United States, and we were thinking we could change the return flight to a US border town and walk across the border. Is this legal/risky and would something like her active Brazilian passport and provincial health card/SIN card be sufficient to get her across? We don't want to take any reckless risks, but trying to be aware of all her options since the card arriving in time seems pretty unlikely at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My wife is a new PR still waiting for her first card (COPR received Sept 4). We're booked to travel on Jan 26th. She has a still valid visitor visa to the United States, and we were thinking we could change the return flight to a US border town and walk across the border. Is this legal/risky and would something like her active Brazilian passport and provincial health card/SIN card be sufficient to get her across? We don't want to take any reckless risks, but trying to be aware of all her options since the card arriving in time seems pretty unlikely at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It is legal, it is not that risky (although I've no recent experience with USA immigration and covid hassles, referring only to Canadian side), and she should have with her documentation that shows her immigration status - the COPR. Also make sure to have UCI (which will also be PR number) as that ensures they can look up the specific person.

Whether it is superior to her applying for and receiving a PRTD is a question mark.

GoatmealCrisp

Jan 9, 2022
It is legal, it is not that risky (although I've no recent experience with USA immigration and covid hassles, referring only to Canadian side), and she should have with her documentation that shows her immigration status - the COPR. Also make sure to have UCI (which will also be PR number) as that ensures they can look up the specific person.

Whether it is superior to her applying for and receiving a PRTD is a question mark.
Thank you! I would agree the PRTD is preferable, only we're booked to fly to Cancun (our honeymoon), with the return flight 8 days later. Given the only VAC listed on the website for Mexico is in Mexico City and the processing times listed for the PRTD, it just doesn't seem like we'd be able to do it without radically changing the trip.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you! I would agree the PRTD is preferable, only we're booked to fly to Cancun (our honeymoon), with the return flight 8 days later. Given the only VAC listed on the website for Mexico is in Mexico City and the processing times listed for the PRTD, it just doesn't seem like we'd be able to do it without radically changing the trip.
So you are asking the same question you asked before? Answer is the same.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, I appreciate the help and was just explaining why we aren't going down the PRTD route.
Make sure you leave yourself enough time in the US to take the required molecular PCR test to re-enter Canada. The test needs to be taken in the US (and negative results received) before you'll be able to re-enter Canada.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Make sure you leave yourself enough time in the US to take the required molecular PCR test to re-enter Canada. The test needs to be taken in the US (and negative results received) before you'll be able to re-enter Canada.
Agree but it also needs to be said that there is no guarantee of smooth sailing for international travel right now. Note that much of the U.S. appears headed toward strict restrictions on who can get Covid testing; it appears their systems may soon be overwhelmed.

. . . we're booked to fly to Cancun (our honeymoon), with the return flight 8 days later.
Sorry this is happening at a special time in your life.

There are conflicting trends, conflicting views, and more than a little confusion. It is possible that by late in the month much of this will be resolved. At this stage, more than a few at the decision-making level are questioning the practicality of travel restrictions (including testing requirements) given the obvious extent of community spread of Omicron, the burden this is on all aspects of the involved systems, and what is increasingly seen as ineffective, impractical, and excessive impositions on travel.

BUT there is a real lot that is just plain up-in-air right now.

In terms of immigration rules, as others have aptly noted, a relatively recently landed PR (without a PR card) should have no problems being admitted into Canada. Almost certainly will have no immigration-related problems. So, travel via the U.S. if the PR has not yet received a PR card is a viable, good option . . . so far as immigration rules go.

But there is more than a little uncertainty as to how the trip will go in practice, or what the consequences are in terms of covid-related travel restrictions. Usually you could do the homework and figure it out. But, things are in such flux at the moment, that might be difficult for a bit. You will likely need to check and monitor things for the next while. Hopefully there is a clear answer soon enough, and a sure path to return without too much disruption, all in time to proceed with and enjoy your trip.

Reactions: GoatmealCrisp