+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT HELP!! Restoration of Status for Post Grad Work Permit

Nov 13, 2019
Hi there! I graduated in May and sent in my application for a Post Graduation Work Permit, but when they sent back another request for the letter from my university stating I completed my studies on 10/10/2019, I couldn't get into my account and access the application. The IRCC was no help, and when I finally accessed the application on 11/10/2019, it had been refused because I didn't send in the last document required.

My student status expired here on 10/22/2019 and now I'm scrambling to apply to restore my status and receive my Post Graduation Work Permit. My problem is, do I apply to restore as a worker or a student? I read in here some of you applied to restore as a student, but how is it going to be possible for me to answer the questions about how long I plan to study, etc. if I'm done being a student? I'm just afraid to send out the wrong application.

Also, do I apply for this online or by paper? I can't find where to restore my status online, and the only way I can access the PGWP application is if I say I'm a student when I'm not anymore and my status has expired.

Any help would be so appreciated!!!

AB CA

Oct 11, 2019
Alberta, Canada
You will need to submit an online application to remain in Canada as a worker. On the very top of the application there are checkboxes and you will need to mark off the box which says "restore my status as a worker" as well as the box which says "apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer".

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there! I graduated in May and sent in my application for a Post Graduation Work Permit, but when they sent back another request for the letter from my university stating I completed my studies on 10/10/2019, I couldn't get into my account and access the application. The IRCC was no help, and when I finally accessed the application on 11/10/2019, it had been refused because I didn't send in the last document required.

My student status expired here on 10/22/2019 and now I'm scrambling to apply to restore my status and receive my Post Graduation Work Permit. My problem is, do I apply to restore as a worker or a student? I read in here some of you applied to restore as a student, but how is it going to be possible for me to answer the questions about how long I plan to study, etc. if I'm done being a student? I'm just afraid to send out the wrong application.

Also, do I apply for this online or by paper? I can't find where to restore my status online, and the only way I can access the PGWP application is if I say I'm a student when I'm not anymore and my status has expired.

Any help would be so appreciated!!!
Your study permit was only valid for 90 days after program completion. What date did you receive confirmation of program completion?

Nov 13, 2019
I'm confused because my completion of studies was May 17, 2019, but the IRCC said my temporary resident status expired on 10/22/2019. I just sent the application yesterday - I included a letter of explanation, but I didn't include the exact date that I sent out my previous Post Graduation Work Permit application in there. Is that a problem? Will they think that I sent my application out after my status expired? Because I sent the application in June. I'm just worried now that I didn't explain it well enough!

neelpatel527

Jan 8, 2020
Hi this is neel here ..i have same problem regarding work permit, so you got your work permit n if you got it what you did for that
I’m waiting for your replay....

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi,

I can finally tell my story now:

My study permit was expired on August 03,2019 And I received my completion letter from the university on August 05,2019 hence because of being two days late I lost my status and I couldn’t apply online or do the flagpole..

Here started my journey of figuring out the right process of restoring the status and applying for PGWP ..spoke with many cic agents / former applicants and immigration help associations and came to a conclusion that I would apply for restoration as a worker + PGWP and hence paid $455 in total which includes $200 for restoration + $155 work permit + $100 open work permit..

Everything was good except for that the processing time for restoration is unknown and after 3 months were passed I contacted cic almost every week with no insight on my file and the only answer was to wait .. Reached out to the Edmonton office MP and Montreal office MP Who helped in querying the IRCC about my file as well..

Finally on Monday, IRCC said that I applied incorrectly and should have requested for restoring of status as student as I can’t restore as a worker because I never had that status..this situation left me helpless as I would be finishing my 180 days on February 01 but luckily they didn’t reject the application and on Tuesday they requested me to apply for study permit extension along with another payment of $150.. Paid that and was having my fingers crossed.

I have been without status for over 5 months ...without health insurance..without being able to work or leave the country ... but today they sent email saying both the applications have been approved and will be mailed to me.. so now just waiting for my PGWP to arrive in post...

Any questions please don’t hesitates to reach out to me and Good luck everyone..:)

Sivan07

Jan 24, 2020
Hi,

My study permit was expired on August 03,2019 And I received my completion letter from the university on August 05,2019 hence because of being two days late I lost my status and I couldn’t apply online or do the flagpole..

Here started my journey of figuring out the right process of restoring the status and applying for PGWP ..spoke with many cic agents / former applicants and immigration help associations and came to a conclusion that I would apply for restoration as a worker + PGWP and hence paid $455 in total which includes $200 for restoration + $155 work permit + $100 open work permit..

Everything was good except for that the processing time for restoration is unknown and after 3 months were passed I contacted cic almost every week with no insight on my file and the only answer was to wait .. Reached out to the Edmonton office MP and Montreal office MP Who helped in querying the IRCC about my file as well..

Finally on Monday, IRCC said that I applied incorrectly and should have requested for restoring of status as student as I can’t restore as a worker because I never had that status..this situation left me helpless as I would be finishing my 180 days on February 01 but luckily they didn’t reject the application and on Tuesday they requested me to apply for study permit extension along with another payment of $150.. Paid that and was having my fingers crossed.

I have been without status for over 5 months ...without health insurance..without being able to work or leave the country ... but today they sent email saying both the applications have been approved and will be mailed to me.. so now just waiting for my PGWP to arrive in post...

Any questions please don’t hesitates to reach out to me and Good luck everyone..:)

Sivan07

Jan 24, 2020
Hey,
I hope you can give me some advice. So this is my current situation.
I completed a 4 year engineering degree. My study permit and trv expired on the 30th of July 2019. I applied for a pgwp on the 20th of June 2019, and it was refused because I couldn't upload my transcript before the deadline CIC gave me. And in the refusal arrived on the 23rd of October 2019, it said that I have lost all my status on that day and that i have 90days to apply for restoration. But I called CIC on the same day to get advice on the whole process so I could proceed carefully moving forward. I explained my case to this AGENT and she told me since the letter says that I lose all my status on the 23rd of October, I could submit another application before end of day with the correct documents and if I do that I dont have to deal with restoration or anything. So I took her advice and submitted another application on the 23rd of October as well. But yesterday I received the second refusal and the reason for refusal is that I did not have a temporary resident permit when I applied (second time) for a pgwp. And this time in the refusal letter it says that I have lost my chance to apply for restoration as well. What are my options now? Should I leave the country and apply from back home? It will be great if someone could guide me in the correct direction

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hey,
I hope you can give me some advice. So this is my current situation.
I completed a 4 year engineering degree. My study permit and trv expired on the 30th of July 2019. I applied for a pgwp on the 20th of June 2019, and it was refused because I couldn't upload my transcript before the deadline CIC gave me. And in the refusal arrived on the 23rd of October 2019, it said that I have lost all my status on that day and that i have 90days to apply for restoration. But I called CIC on the same day to get advice on the whole process so I could proceed carefully moving forward. I explained my case to this AGENT and she told me since the letter says that I lose all my status on the 23rd of October, I could submit another application before end of day with the correct documents and if I do that I dont have to deal with restoration or anything. So I took her advice and submitted another application on the 23rd of October as well. But yesterday I received the second refusal and the reason for refusal is that I did not have a temporary resident permit when I applied (second time) for a pgwp. And this time in the refusal letter it says that I have lost my chance to apply for restoration as well. What are my options now? Should I leave the country and apply from back home? It will be great if someone could guide me in the correct direction
Oh man I think this is a pretty messy situation Over here because you hand lost your status the moment your study permit / visa had expired and you were on implied status until oct 23 . The moment it was rejected as they mentioned you lost all the status and a restoration was required along with your application.. now I don’t think that you can go back and apply as you have to apply for pgwp within 180 days of your completion as that is one of the criteria.. in my opinion the best option would be to cal cic and request them to reopen the case and you can provide anything that was missing so that things can be processed..basically you should be filling out study permit extension form and pay for restoration of the status so that’s another 350$ .. additionally try reaching out to your local MP for help and advice...

Angelalala93

May 25, 2020
Hi,

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. When IRCC reaching out to you said "you applied incorrectly and should have requested for restoring of status as student as you can’t restore as a worker because I never had that status" Did they email you or call you?

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for sharing. When IRCC reaching out to you said "you applied incorrectly and should have requested for restoring of status as student as you can’t restore as a worker because I never had that status" Did they email you or call you?
They told it to me when I called them multiple times asking for a status update.

Nikesh13

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Hello Folks,

My PGWP is valid from May 2019 to May 2022..

But when I applied for TRV, I got 5 years worker stamp from May 2019 to May 2024.

Is that normal or should be printed by mistake?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Folks,

My PGWP is valid from May 2019 to May 2022..

But when I applied for TRV, I got 5 years worker stamp from May 2019 to May 2024.

Is that normal or should be printed by mistake?
It's fine. TRVs can be valid for up to 10 years.

Reactions: Nikesh13

Angelalala93

May 25, 2020
They told it to me when I called them multiple times asking for a status update.
Thank you! "on Tuesday they requested me to apply for study permit extension along with another payment of $150" Did you request that in your call to IRCC so they sent you that request? Did they send the request in your cic account or email?

ABaj95

Aug 18, 2020
Hi,

Hey! Can you tell me how you were able to fill out your Study permit extension application since you already graduated? Like how did you input the dates and the program of study and all of those fields that don't apply anymore? The reason I am asking is because I asked an agent if I need to include that form and they told me its not necessary and I just need to Submit the invoice for the payment and that is enough but that doesn't seem correct.