+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Help plz,PRTD in Abu Dhabi Embassy

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Hi all,

I am a Permanent resident of Canada and I hold a Somali passport, my family lives in Abu Dhabi and i frequently visit them from time to time, in my last travel to abu dhabi,i was stopped by etihad staff from boarding on the airplane since i hold a somali passport which is not recognised as a valid travel document to canada although i have a valid PR card and not in violation of RO .

they called the embassy and they allowed me to board but asked me next time to get a certificate of identity, that was 5 months ago, and for some family matters i had to fly again to abu dhabi and i didnt get a certificate of identity for 2 reasons :
- first it takes more than a month to get it.
- second uae wont accept temp travel document,and i have to submit my somali passport which have the uae residence on it.

So,i called the immigration and CBSA before i leave and both didnt see why i shouldnt be allowed to board since i have a valid PR card ,i tried to email abu dhabi embassy several times but no reply from them at all.

now i am in Abu Dhabi and will return next week on 25 November and I have to start a new job on 27 November ,its very important for me to go back in time.

please advise what to do?
shall i go ahead and apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document ,although i read on cic website that those who lost their PR card need to apply for such application.

how long the PRTD processing time would be?
is there a online application for the PRTD or only through VAC?
if through VAC is there anyway to make it emergency or urgent processing application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I am a Permanent resident of Canada and I hold a Somali passport, my family lives in Abu Dhabi and i frequently visit them from time to time, in my last travel to abu dhabi,i was stopped by etihad staff from boarding on the airplane since i hold a somali passport which is not recognised as a valid travel document to canada although i have a valid PR card and not in violation of RO .

they called the embassy and they allowed me to board but asked me next time to get a certificate of identity, that was 5 months ago, and for some family matters i had to fly again to abu dhabi and i didnt get a certificate of identity for 2 reasons :
- first it takes more than a month to get it.
- second uae wont accept temp travel document,and i have to submit my somali passport which have the uae residence on it.

So,i called the immigration and CBSA before i leave and both didnt see why i shouldnt be allowed to board since i have a valid PR card ,i tried to email abu dhabi embassy several times but no reply from them at all.

now i am in Abu Dhabi and will return next week on 25 November and I have to start a new job on 27 November ,its very important for me to go back in time.

please advise what to do?
shall i go ahead and apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document ,although i read on cic website that those who lost their PR card need to apply for such application.

how long the PRTD processing time would be?
is there a online application for the PRTD or only through VAC?
if through VAC is there anyway to make it emergency or urgent processing application?
A PRTD is basically a substitute PR card, not a travel document. It won't do anything for you in your situation. You needed to apply for the Certificate of Identity like you were told to.

abudhabian

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
A PRTD is basically a substitute PR card, not a travel document. It won't do anything for you in your situation. You needed to apply for the Certificate of Identity like you were told to.
ok, thanks a lot canuk, i wanted to apply for the certificate of identity but giving to the urgent travel requirement, i couldnt wait for a month to get the certificate ,even if i do so,they require to submit my passport which have on it the UAE residence visa, and also UAE dont allow ppl with temp passport to enter UAE, hence i kept my passport and was hoping a PRTD from the embassy would help.

is there any other application in my case?
i tried to call the embassy they refused to answer and asked me to email them and write urgent in the subject line and i did email them 3 times but no asnwer so far what shall i do please?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ok, thanks a lot canuk, i wanted to apply for the certificate of identity but giving to the urgent travel requirement, i couldnt wait for a month to get the certificate ,even if i do so,they require to submit my passport which have on it the UAE residence visa, and also UAE dont allow ppl with temp passport to enter UAE, hence i kept my passport and was hoping a PRTD from the embassy would help.

is there any other application in my case?
i tried to call the embassy they refused to answer and asked me to email them and write urgent in the subject line and i did email them 3 times but no asnwer so far what shall i do please?
I don't see anything else you can do, sorry.