+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help, please - Emigrating with a minor (child) - Form not returned by CIC

CanadianPrairieGent

Aug 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
File Transfer...
August 18, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
October 31, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 9, 2016
Hi everyone.

Thought I was finished here, but my wife has been checking the permanent residency and application documents returned to her by CIC, and we have a potential snag. We asked for the embassy in Kiev to return our original personal documents. However, the embassy (CIC) hasn't returned the original document where the biological father of my 16 year-old step-daughter gives his daughter permission for her to travel and emigrate.

My wife is stressing out, because their flights to come to me are in two weeks! She does have a notarized photocopy of the original document, but she is fearful that this won't be enough to allow her to pass through security/border services in Kiev and Amsterdam. She has a friend who married a German man and her friend advises my wife that only an original document, signed by the biological father will work.

Is my wife's friend correct? I can't imagine why a notarized copy (translated also) won't be sufficient. What should we do? Trying to make a direct call to CIC is nearly impossible, and they aren't exactly prompt at responding to emails either. Why wouldn't CIC return this very important original document to her, seeing as how she requires it to navigate through airport security? Chasing down a hard-to-find biological father, whom my step-daughter has never met, and who resides in another area of Ukraine, and then having him fill out another permission form and getting it translated and notarized in two weeks is more than a difficult task.

In advance, thanks for your help.

UA2014

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Kyiv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
Doc's Request.
None yet
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
25-02-2016 Upfront
Interview........
28-09-2016
I'd suggest getting the original document from Kyiv before she leaves Ukraine permanently.

It's not just about this trip. Every single time you go anywhere in the world until the child is 16 or gets Canadian citizenship and her own passport you will need this original document.

(Actually now that I reread your post, you say the daughter is 16? And she has an adult Ukraine passport? There is an adult passport and a child passport. If she is 16 and travelling on an adult passport it shouldn't be a problem then because 16 is when Ukrainians become adults. This is my understanding, but your wife may want to check with a lawyer in Ukraine). The court gave my daughter authorization to TRAVEL (visit) until age 16, after which time she is an adult. But the document does not authorize immigration, hence the problem explained later.

It's a pretty big deal.

And you are fortunate the father signed off. Get the document and keep it safe in case he changes his mind. We are not as fortunate and are in the Ukrainian courts (for the fourth time) right now to have his parental rights removed and our application is stalled until we get the decision.

Kyiv VO is pretty good about answering email in a timely fashion.

CanadianPrairieGent

Aug 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
File Transfer...
August 18, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
October 31, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 9, 2016
My step-daughter has both a Ukrainian passport and a foreign passport, but my wife said that she required an original consent form from her ex-husband when she took her daughter on a vacation to Turkey this past summer. It would be great is she's considered an adult at 16 in Ukraine, but I'm not sure my wife is convinced that she doesn't need the original document. I honestly don't know why a notarized copy of this document wouldn't be sufficient, but Ukrainian bureaucracy can be frustrating . . . as I'm sure you're aware.

UA2014

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Kyiv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
Doc's Request.
None yet
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
25-02-2016 Upfront
Interview........
28-09-2016
Yes, I'm quite aware. However the notarized copy will not be enough. As you are probably quite aware, copies are not accepted in this region.

As I have advised, if the daughter has an adult passport, and is 16 years old of the day of travel, things should probably be fine. However, having the original document signed by the other parent will nullify any complaint. The end, full stop. I will issue this disclaimer, I am not a lawyer, certified by the bar in Ukraine. It is only my understanding from my own experience. I do not offer legal advice for Ukraine.

CanadianPrairieGent

Aug 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
17-06-2016
File Transfer...
August 18, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
N/A
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
October 31, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 9, 2016
;D I take this under advisement. Spasibo!

UA2014 said:
Yes, I'm quite aware. However the notarized copy will not be enough. As you are probably quite aware, copies are not accepted in this region.

As I have advised, if the daughter has an adult passport, and is 16 years old of the day of travel, things should probably be fine. However, having the original document signed by the other parent will nullify any complaint. The end, full stop. I will issue this disclaimer, I am not a lawyer, certified by the bar in Ukraine. It is only my understanding from my own experience. I do not offer legal advice for Ukraine.

UA2014

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Kyiv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
Doc's Request.
None yet
File Transfer...
13-05-2016
Med's Done....
25-02-2016 Upfront
Interview........
28-09-2016
CanadianPrairieGent said:
;D I take this under advisement. Spasibo!
Пожалуйста. I have since found out through my own legal process that children in Ukraine are permitted to choose where and who they decide to live with at the age of 14...

It could be helpful to you, however I advise to gain legal advice...