+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Help Needed: PR Residency Requirements & Borders Agency Descretion

MBQ

Jan 31, 2015
Good morning folks,

Here is my case
  • Landed 10 Mar 2016
  • PR card validity is 21 Apr 2016 to 21 Apr 2021
  • Since landing visited 6 times totaling 68 days ; sixty eight days) of physical presence in Canada ( I have a travel journal)
  • I have an address in Canada and opened accounts there and moved important parts of my liquid assets to Canada
  • I have not applied for Health Card as Service Canada agents told me this should be done when you relocate fully
  • I am planning to relocate fully and arrive to Canada on 5th of April 2019 (one-way ticket).

Example : If I relocate fully entering Canada on 5th April 2019 and CIC requirements are 730 days in Canada within 5 years of landing ( 10 Mar 2016 to 9 Mar 2021). I did 68 days and left with 662 days to be spent in Canada to satisfy PR renewal requirements. On 5 April 2019, I still have 705 days until 5th anniversary of landing. Based on this I believe I am totally fine as I need to be 662 days out of the 705 days following my arrival on 5 April.

My question: am I safe to arrive to Canada on 5 th April 2019 without risking negative determination by Borders Agents ? I thought of arriving in first week of March 2019 but arriving before early April is not possible to family commitments

Guys, you help plss

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but given you are borderline being able to meet your RO since March 10 2016 then if asked the question by CBSA how long have you been away you might want to be well prepared for a secondary inspection if that happens.

On the other hand if you present a valid PR card then you may not be asked anything and just be waved through there really is no way to predict although on balance given ‘time served’ and time left to meet RO does not seem any reason why you should have any issue. Ultimately though as a PR you are entitled to enter regardless.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes looks like you're fine but you haven't left yourself a lot of time for vacations, family emergencies or business trips.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
If you enter via the automatic kiosk, the chance of getting asked by CBSA is quite low. But then anything can happen, be prepared to answer questions truthfully.
Once you are in Canada, you will have to stay until you fulfill the requirement, I recommend you should have some buffer room. This is the only way for you to NOT have an expired PR card.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you enter via the automatic kiosk, the chance of getting asked by CBSA is quite low. But then anything can happen, be prepared to answer questions truthfully.
Once you are in Canada, you will have to stay until you fulfill the requirement, I recommend you should have some buffer room. This is the only way for you to NOT have an expired PR card.
I always use the automatic kiosk, and I can say the chance of getting asked by CBSA is 100%.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
I always use the automatic kiosk, and I can say the chance of getting asked by CBSA is 100%.
Really? I use it too but never get asked. But then there is no issue with my documents so maybe that is why.
I am thinking as long as one use a valid PR to get into Canada it shouldn't cause any problem. Does the system automatically calculate the entry/exit days or something for every PR card entry to Canada? How does CBSA know who did not or about to not fulfill RO to question them? They can't possibly ask every PR holder.

MBQ

Jan 31, 2015
Guys, thank you for your replies. I am planning to be prepared in case asked ( will say truth and have nothing to hide)

1- Will keep a journal of how I calculated 68 days in Canada with dates and from where I got to Canada and to which destination when out

2- Will get bank account statementsbready that I started moving my savings and liquidating what I have abroad long time ago and gradually

3- If asked, I will say that I did not apply for Health Card as I want to apply when relocating fully (ie I am not playing the system)

4- I am skilled migrant not a refugee but my citizenship is from a war-torn/civil war country which means I have no where to go if they mistakenly negatively determine my physical days requrements

5- In all cases, I will say the truth nothing else

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Really? I use it too but never get asked. But then there is no issue with my documents so maybe that is why.
I am thinking as long as one use a valid PR to get into Canada it shouldn't cause any problem. Does the system automatically calculate the entry/exit days or something for every PR card entry to Canada? How does CBSA know who did not or about to not fulfill RO to question them? They can't possibly ask every PR holder.
I saw they talk to every traveler. My doc have no issues.

@MBQ Just be honest.