+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT! HELP! Changing from Visitor Visa to Student Permit within Canada?

quebec_mtl

Jun 24, 2014
Hi all
I hope you can help on this one.

I'm currently in Montreal with a visitor visa and would like to start a university program in September.

It seems like I can apply online to the student permit, I already have the acceptance letter from the university and all other requirements. My country of residency is NOT Canada but I'm here visiting and would like to avoid going back to my home country before starting my studies.
My question is if I apply online (which I seem to be eligible to do so), what happens after when a decision is made? Where will I need to send my passport to get the student permit? Do I have to go back to my home country to do the medical exams or can I do them in the US for example?

Can anyone let me know their experience about the online application process within Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you meet the requirements to apply for a study permit from within Canada? To be eligible to apply you must be one of the following:

•minor children studying at the primary or secondary level;
•exchange or visiting students;
•students who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

quebec_mtl

Jun 24, 2014
No... I don't have a student permit at the moment. I'm trying to get one but I would like to avoid going back to my home country.