+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[URGENT] Do I really need a proof of needing to be in Canada to re-enter as an international student?

worriedadhd

May 7, 2020
I am a returning international student currently in the airport waiting for my flight to Canada

I was almost denied boarding. The agent let me through and told me to immediately contact my school and ask them for a letter saying that I have to be back in Canada.

They said if I don’t have a letter by the time I land I will be denied entry into Canada by the border agents.

I go to an approved DLI, I have my PCR test and I am currently taking a full course load of 5 classes (online). I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer. I want to return to Canada because of the huge time zone difference as some of my classes happen late at night and my exams are at weird times too.

Do I really need a letter saying I need to re-enter because I don’t think I’ll be able to get one by the time I land.

Thank you

Alpha_Wolf

Jun 9, 2021
Well if the agent has asked you, why don’t you ask the International team at your college to furnish a letter?
It’s urgent so buck up.
Depending on your present country’s situation, who knows what steps CBSA might take.

Be on the safer side.

There isn’t much time left so giving you advice. That’s what I would have done.

worriedadhd

May 7, 2020
Of course I have already asked my university but I doubt they will reply on time. I am looking for some type of proof that this document is actually required because I don’t see this required anywhere.

I have also completed the entry eligibility questionnaire on the governments website and that says I am likely allowed to enter Canada as well.

Alpha_Wolf

Jun 9, 2021
Of course I have already asked my university but I doubt they will reply on time. I am looking for some type of proof that this document is actually required because I don’t see this required anywhere.

I have also completed the entry eligibility questionnaire on the governments website and that says I am likely allowed to enter Canada as well.
Then don’t spoil your trip.
only 2 things you can do:
1. Forego this flight!! Which is impossible. Just for a letter pfft
2. Have you confirmed the university over e-mail? It is enough proof then. I mean on the forum its mixed, but some people did carry the letters from the university. You never know the CBSA.

My personal take: If you are not from a very hot covid country, the officer will understand. On facebook, even an Indian got in just based on- I cannot study nights every night!!

So relax then. And tell them the time difference is crazy. They should be satisfied with this response.

Reactions: Shadow_Man

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
If your DLI will not return to physical class in Fall, then perhaps that's the reason you were questioned. Did you have an enrolment letter for Fall?