+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent citizenship required - please help

andyg2886

Jul 23, 2021
Hi all

First-time poster here looking for some advice.

I am a UK citizen living and working in Canada. I have Canadian PR and will shortly be applying for Citizenship (the online calculator says I am eligible to apply on October 5th, 2021).

I have been offered a job in the US. My job offer is dependent on me securing immigration to the US before the end of the 2021 calendar year. The company uses immigration lawyers who recommended I apply for an O-1 visa to enter the US. Unfortunately, the estimated wait time for an O-1 is approximately 1 year. As such, the company is looking to rescind my job offer based on this long wait time.

It appears that the best route for me would be with Canadian Citizenship (with a TN visa). The problem - I can't apply for Canadian citizenship until October 5th, and it appears the wait time for citizenship is currently 12 months.

My question - is it possible to apply for urgent processing? If so, would my case even be considered, or is it a non-starter?

Many thanks.

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Hi all

I am a UK citizen living and working in Canada. I have Canadian PR and will shortly be applying for Citizenship (the online calculator says I am eligible to apply on October 5th, 2021).

I have been offered a job in the US. My job offer is dependent on me securing immigration to the US before the end of the 2021 calendar year. The company uses immigration lawyers who recommended I apply for an O-1 visa to enter the US. Unfortunately, the estimated wait time for an O-1 is approximately 1 year. As such, the company is looking to rescind my job offer based on this long wait time.

It appears that the best route for me would be with Canadian Citizenship (with a TN visa). The problem - I can't apply for Canadian citizenship until October 5th, and it appears the wait time for citizenship is currently 12 months.

My question - is it possible to apply for urgent processing? If so, would my case even be considered, or is it a non-starter?

Many thanks.

Unfortunately applying for a job in a US cannot be considered as a reason for Urgent processing, to apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:
  • needing Canadian citizenship to:
    • apply for a job
    • avoid losing your job
    • go to a Canadian school, college or university
  • needing to travel because of death or serious illness in your family and you can’t get a passport in your current nationality
  • receiving a successful Federal Court decision on an appeal on a previous application for citizenship
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

One of the reason above does say when applying for a job but I don't think that will qualify for a job in US.

I would recommend go with any other reason rather than applying for a job in US.

Reactions: dpenabill

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all

Many thanks.
You can try requesting urgent processing. No harm in that.

However as said above, urgent processing is unlikely to be granted for the purpose of leaving Canada for a job in the US. So don't count on it and make sure you have a solid "plan B".

Reactions: dpenabill

andyg2886

Jul 23, 2021
You can try requesting urgent processing. No harm in that.

However as said above, urgent processing is unlikely to be granted for the purpose of leaving Canada for a job in the US. So don't count on it and make sure you have a solid "plan B".
I had a feeling that would be the case! The job is an extremely attractive one so it's something I'm really trying to fight for, but I feel like I'm running out of options. If you (or anyone else) has any other advice on how I might be able to make this work, please do let me know :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had a feeling that would be the case! The job is an extremely attractive one so it's something I'm really trying to fight for, but I feel like I'm running out of options. If you (or anyone else) has any other advice on how I might be able to make this work, please do let me know :)
I think this is really more of a US immigration question than a Canadian question. You can try asking here:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/h-1b-holders-in-the-u-s.59/

anton1990

Champion Member
Dec 22, 2015
North Battleford
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-04-2016
Nomination.....
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Med's Request
02-05-2017
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018
Hi all

Many thanks.
Hi

You cannot apply before you meet physical presence requirement.

Also, i agree with other members regarding work in US

Good luck