+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Changing University DLL after getting passport request and Visa approval

salahgamal

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Good morning everyone,

Please I need urgent help for my case.

I have applied for online study permit in University of Ottawa for PhD study in electrical and computer engineering in Fall-2019, and I got passport request and Visa approval for my application two days ago.

Now, Visa application center told me that passport will come after 10 working days if I submitted today, so most probably I will miss the fall semester. My question is that I have another letter of acceptance from McMaster University to do Master in Winter 2020, can I use my approved study permit to go to the other University?

I asked the Visa application center here in Qatar and they said that if I submitted my passport the Visa approval will come for the original institution (i.e University of Ottawa) and I could not use it for study in Winter in University of McMaster. Is it right?
I saw on cic website that they mentioned that I can change my DLL and study program without applying for new study permit. I also called VFS global help center and they said to me that I can submit my passport and at the same time send the new letter of acceptance to IRCC through webform.

I am really confused what is the right thing to do, and who should I consulted in my case?

Please advise my with accurate information if you have this case before.

Thank you,

salahgamal

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Good morning everyone,

Please I need urgent help for my case.

I have applied for online study permit in University of Ottawa for PhD study in electrical and computer engineering in Fall-2019, and I got passport request and Visa approval for my application two days ago.

Now, Visa application center told me that passport will come after 10 working days if I submitted today, so most probably I will miss the fall semester. My question is that I have another letter of acceptance from McMaster University to do Master in Winter 2020, can I use my approved study permit to go to the other University?

I asked the Visa application center here in Qatar and they said that if I submitted my passport the Visa approval will come for the original institution (i.e University of Ottawa) and I could not use it for study in Winter in University of McMaster. Is it right?
I saw on cic website that they mentioned that I can change my DLL and study program without applying for new study permit. I also called VFS global help center and they said to me that I can submit my passport and at the same time send the new letter of acceptance to IRCC through webform.

I am really confused what is the right thing to do, and who should I consulted in my case?

Please advise my with accurate information if you have this case before.

Thank you,
any help please

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Reactions: salahgamal

salahgamal

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
You may have to extend your study permit and/or your TRV. This can be done in Canada
Thanks for replying,
Are you sure 100% of this information, I am afried to get into trouble at the Port of entry when I reach Canada, do you know anyone who experience same scenario?

Thanks again,

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks for replying,
Are you sure 100% of this information, I am afried to get into trouble at the Port of entry when I reach Canada, do you know anyone who experience same scenario?

Thanks again,
I am quoting the Canadian government(see the canada.ca address). I don't know anyone, but other members on this site have done the same. It's up to you to decide what you want to do, it is your application

salahgamal

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Thanks man,
Yes I read these information before and it make sense, I also called VFS global and they said if you are worried you can submit a webform to IRCC attaching the new letter of acceptance. In the same time, submit my passport for Visa stamping.
However, what get me narvious is the staff working in Visa application center. They said to me wired information.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks man,
Yes I read these information before and it make sense, I also called VFS global and they said if you are worried you can submit a webform to IRCC attaching the new letter of acceptance. In the same time, submit my passport for Visa stamping.
However, what get me narvious is the staff working in Visa application center. They said to me wired information.
Wired information ? They will not know everything about immigration. Their job is just to collect your documents, capture biometrics etc.

Changing DLI is not something they do, my advice would be just to submit your passport, get the visa and then change the DLI.

Immigration officers in Canada will 100% get the info if you change DLI. If you want to follow VFS, then you can. However I don't know how effective webform will be.

salahgamal

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Wired information ? They will not know everything about immigration. Their job is just to collect your documents, capture biometrics etc.

Changing DLI is not something they do, my advice would be just to submit your passport, get the visa and then change the DLI.

Immigration officers in Canada will 100% get the info if you change DLI. If you want to follow VFS, then you can. However I don't know how effective webform will be.
Thanks for your help