+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: CHANGE IN MARITAL STATUS (after PPR Req.)

tigerb

Sep 16, 2015
Hi all,

I will appreciate advice from people who have been in a similar situation:

I'm on a temporary work permit in Canada and my express entry points are not meeting the cutoff. However, my fiancee (lives back home) has received her PPR (passport request) because presumably she has received her PR as an individual applicant.

Some consultants have advised me that I should take the first flight back home and get married to her. After which, she should respond to the PPR email stating a change in status. I'm wondering how your overall experience with this process was? More specifically:

1. How long did it take you and your partner to receive the PR since you first sent CIC this change in status email?

2. Do you recommend that I do a medical and apply for police clearance in Canada even before we send this email? I'm doing this so I can have most documents ready in time. Or is that the tests/reports need a "reference number" before proceeding that will be sent to us by CIC?

3. How much time did CIC give you to submit your spouse's documents after they acknowledged your change in status email? (in my country -- India, it seems marriage certificates could take long).

4. Lastly, is getting married and adding me to her application right after receiving a PPR the right strategy? OR could this seem fishy? I will say that our relationship is genuine and we have a LONG history to prove this.

If any of you has been in this situation, please PLEASE give your advice asap since the clock is ticking. Thanks :)