+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent - Biometrics in USA in USCIS center

rpatel53

Feb 19, 2020
I think I have the same issue. I booked my appointment yesterday when they opened back. Today, it shows me another different appointment 3/30/2020 NY. Perhaps, I will print out the confirmation I got from yesterday and see what happens.
If you printed the confirmation from that glitch website just go there in your slot and you will be fine.

phuongdong

Jun 27, 2020
Canada
Category........
STUDY
I've been a little confused by the US-Canadian Border closure now. It seems to me earlier that if you are traveling directly from the US, and you are traveling for an essential purpose, you can actually enter Canada now.

The IRCC website previously defined "essential" and included study/work as essential. However, when I checked the website today, I couldn't find that description anymore. The definition of "essential travel" went back to: "Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation, or entertainment."

Instead of defining what is essential, IRCC ambiguously gives us examples of non-essential travel. My question is: if someone gets his/her study permit approved now, and travels from the US, can he/she enter Canada?
I think you need to call CBSA to determine if you are eligible to enter Canada given your approved study/work permit. As far as I know on the website they say only people with study permit approved before 18 March can enter Canada.

Reactions: lat2479

tanxa

Jun 29, 2020
I think you need to call CBSA to determine if you are eligible to enter Canada given your approved study/work permit. As far as I know on the website they say only people with study permit approved before 18 March can enter Canada.
Yes, the March 18th rule is for study permits holders' around the world. I agree that calling CBSA would give us a more direct answer. I'm just curious about other people's thoughts on this issue. Since this thread is about Biometrics in the US, I'm assuming people here in this thread are planning on entering Canada from the US.

lat2479

Jun 29, 2020
I've been a little confused by the US-Canadian Border closure now. It seems to me earlier that if you are traveling directly from the US, and you are traveling for an essential purpose, you can actually enter Canada now.

The IRCC website previously defined "essential" and included study/work as essential. However, when I checked the website today, I couldn't find that description anymore. The definition of "essential travel" went back to: "Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation, or entertainment."

Instead of defining what is essential, IRCC ambiguously gives us examples of non-essential travel. My question is: if someone gets his/her study permit approved now, and travels from the US, can he/she enter Canada?
I'm having to defer my enrollment till next year since my SP probably won't be approved by august and per the website we won't be traveling there if our visa was not approved by march 18. They aren't letting us in

tanxa

Jun 29, 2020
I'm having to defer my enrollment till next year since my SP probably won't be approved by august and per the website we won't be traveling there if our visa was not approved by march 18. They aren't letting us in
Are you going to enter Canada from the US or other countries around the world? I'm planning on deferring my offer for the same reason as yours. However, I'm still worried about entering Canada next year, because I want to enter Canada directly from the US, and I'm not 100% confident that the border will be lifted in the next couple of months.

On the IRCC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html
Who can enter Canada? It says:
All other foreign nationals
To be eligible, you must meet 2 requirements:
For students who are not in the US, sure, they have to have their study permit approved before March 18th.

But for students in the US. It seems that even if the US-Canadian border closure remains closed, as long as "study" is considered an essential purpose, we can still enter Canada from the US.

I'm looking for people who may have the same concern and their thoughts on this.

Reactions: phuongdong

RMen

Jun 22, 2020
Does anyone here have info if GTS work permit application processing has resumed? I am applying via the Global Talent Stream, anyone else in the same boat as me?

lat2479

Jun 29, 2020
Are you going to enter Canada from the US or other countries around the world? I'm planning on deferring my offer for the same reason as yours. However, I'm still worried about entering Canada next year, because I want to enter Canada directly from the US, and I'm not 100% confident that the border will be lifted in the next couple of months.

On the IRCC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html
Who can enter Canada? It says:
All other foreign nationals
To be eligible, you must meet 2 requirements:
For students who are not in the US, sure, they have to have their study permit approved before March 18th.

But for students in the US. It seems that even if the US-Canadian border closure remains closed, as long as "study" is considered an essential purpose, we can still enter Canada from the US.

I'm looking for people who may have the same concern and their thoughts on this.
Hi, I'm entering from the US as well. But yeah i am not sure if the visa would be approved by then and I do not really want to do my class online from here.

newbie8989

May 20, 2020
Ravi,I have tried incognito, refreshing and trying multiple states but keep getting the same error.
Guys, please keep us posted if you were able to schedule an appointment, I will post
here as well if the site is working again to schedule an appointment, that would be helpful.
Thank you so much

Workaholic2020

Mar 12, 2020
More details:

We had our own masks, which of course are mandatory; the hand sanitizer is there but we did not use it on our way in (our hands were clean and we did not want to have issues in giving the fingerprints).

We got to the building at 7:45 and we waited in line outside. They came out to check that everyone had an appointment for the day and then they let us in few at the time. Routine questions at the entrance about symptoms etc.

Distance is kept both outside and inside the building and all the personal wears masks, gloves and glasses. Movable transparent screen are placed to keep separation when the picture is taken (the only time in which you are without mask). Everything is cleaned and sterilized after each person.
Thanks for the details!

I have one question. According to USCIS website, the ASC at Houston should not be opened until 7/20: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings

Which office did you go to? If they are opening as usual, does it mean the opening schedule is actually incorrect?

I am asking this because my booked appointment is at Oakland, CA. The office is not on this list at all, I suspect whether they will be opened.

manjunathsr14

Jun 4, 2020
Thanks for the details!

I have one question. According to USCIS website, the ASC at Houston should not be opened until 7/20: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings

Which office did you go to? If they are opening as usual, does it mean the opening schedule is actually incorrect?

I am asking this because my booked appointment is at Oakland, CA. The office is not on this list at all, I suspect whether they will be opened.
Houston has 3 offices and one of them is open from today while the other 2 open from next week. And for you question on Oakland, CA - it is open from today as well. So in case you have an appointment this week just get there before the scheduled time with BIL, Passport and the appoint confirmation printout. You should be able to complete the biometrics.