+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent advice required regarding student permit

Dec 26, 2017
I have been attending a one year program in a private school which is not eligible for a work permit. Gradually, I lost interest in the school as I wasn't satisfied with their teaching and curriculum. I won't be able to graduate from that school and I'm planning to go to a public school for a 2 year program to get a post-graduate work permit. Will I have any problems with my visa or any permit in the future as I didn't graduate that program??

Dec 26, 2017
Make sure to mention the reasons you would like to change school when you apply for extension. It should cover things like why you couldn't graduate from current program, what you look to gain from next program and how you will ensure you graduate from there, etc.
Ensure you attach the LOA from new college/University and demonstrate enough funds to support yourself.
There's no guarantee but it might work. Did you have full time status through that 1 year program?
Yes. It was a full time program.

Dec 26, 2017
So, does that effect my chances? And thank you so much for your replies.
There are 2 sides to it. While you may appear to be a student struggling with academics since you didn't complete your first program, you may also strike out as a candidate who deserves a second chance at a program they think they might like more and hence do better.
I think they will approve the extension if there's nothing greasy in your profile like working excess hours or not attending school or being on academic probation/suspension or stuff like that.
You are welcome! Good luck.
I didn't work any extra hours nor did I get suspended. But I haven't been attending the final semester properly as I knew that I am not gonna graduate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you aren't attending school your school can report you as not attending and your visa will get cancelled. Paying for your courses is not good enough you have to attend school.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How will a university/college find out if a student is attending classes or not? I don't think in Canada or US attendance is marked in post-secondary institutions.
Many universities and colleges take attendance. Maybe not in huge lectures but in tutorials or smaller classes. If you don't submit assignments or show up for tests that will also trigger more investigation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree with the quizzes, assignments and exams part but attendance, in 4 of my university years I have no memory of any instructor/professor taking attendance unless it was a lecture they asked specifically to be attended due to a guest or something special happening.
In my 7 years at the largest university in Canada we routinely had to sign in to prove we attended things like tutorials, labs, etc.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
I did a 2-year diploma at Vancouver Community College. Not only did they take attendance, but they also failed people if they had less than 60% attendance (don't remember the exact number, but there was a number for sure). All of my teachers were strict about it.
I would gather that institutions that are a part of the government programs for international students do this more routinely than bigger unis, because of this very reason.