12/12/2014
Med's Done....
02/01/2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13/03/2015
Hi !!!
I recently got married and my wife and me entered Canada a few days back. My wife has a visitors visa but she denied to the visa officer that she was married when she entered Canada.
Please advice what could be done to apply for spouse PR ? I came to know that denying being married affects your spouse file in a very negative way :(

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi !!!
I recently got married and my wife and me entered Canada a few days back. My wife has a visitors visa but she denied to the visa officer that she was married when she entered Canada.
Please advice what could be done to apply for spouse PR ? I came to know that denying being married affects your spouse file in a very negative way :(
It's misrepresentation and it prevents her from being sponsored by you in future.

She can qualify independently through an economic stream.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hi !!!
So, what you are saying is your wife lied to CBSA agent, when she tried to entered into Canada as a visitor? If so, then yes, you are looking at a very serious consequences. The damage had been done, that isn't anything you can do, really. When CIC exams your spousal application, they definitely will find this out.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Can I ask what the motivation was for lying? We've seen it happen on this forum where some did not declare themselves as common law because they did not realize they were considered common law after the 12 months...but this is entirely different, your wife intentionally lied. Curious why.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
It's misrepresentation and it prevents her from being sponsored by you in future.

She can qualify independently through an economic stream.
Nah, his wife's situation isn't that bad. They didn't file the spousal application yet, and she only lied on her visitor visa. The worst could be that when CIC find this out, they can bar her for 5 years for misrepresentation, not a life ban though.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Nah, his wife's situation isn't that bad. They didn't file the spousal application yet, and she only lied on her visitor visa. The worst could be that when CIC find this out, they can bar her for 5 years for misrepresentation, not a life ban though.
Ah, interesting. I understood if you lie about your marital status with that individual it prevented you from being sponsored by them in the future.

gaganp

Jul 19, 2014
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
AOR Received.
24-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
01/12/2014
Med's Request
12/12/2014
Med's Done....
02/01/2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13/03/2015
What could be done to rectify this situation ?? I’m really worried now !!

gaganp

Jul 19, 2014
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
AOR Received.
24-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
01/12/2014
Med's Request
12/12/2014
Med's Done....
02/01/2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13/03/2015
My wife just got nervous because she has single status on her passport. She was afraid that she would be barred from entering.

Can I ask what the motivation was for lying? We've seen it happen on this forum where some did not declare themselves as common law because they did not realize they were considered common law after the 12 months...but this is entirely different, your wife intentionally lied. Curious why.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
My wife just got nervous because she has single status on her passport. She was afraid that she would be barred from entering.
The only thing that you can do is to prepare an explanation letter and submit it with your application. Hopefully CIC would accept your explanation and let it go, but do prepare for the worst, since your wife intentionally lied about her marital status, when she tried to enter into Canada. This is a very serious offense, and if you are so lucky that CIC decided to let it go, you should expect a more scrutinized review and much longer waiting (probably an interview will be required) on your spousal application, because your wife lost her credibility to CIC.

You have to understand that your wife claimed she was single, when she tried enter into Canada as a visitor, it had been recorded on her file, and that date was after the date listed on your marriage certificate. There isn't any room for you to work with. Sorry, you need to prepare for the worst and the odds are not good to you. Consulting with a good immigration lawyer, please.

gaganp

Jul 19, 2014
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
AOR Received.
24-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
01/12/2014
Med's Request
12/12/2014
Med's Done....
02/01/2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13/03/2015
It’s been just a few days since she entered. Going to CIC immediately with an explaination would help ?

The only thing that you can do is to prepare an explanation letter and submit it with your application. Hopefully CIC would accept your explanation and let it go, but do prepare for the worst, since your wife intentionally lied about her marital status, when she tried to enter into Canada. This is a very serious offense, and if you are so lucky that CIC decided to let it go, you should expect a more scrutinized review and much longer waiting (probably an interview will be required) on your spousal application, because your wife lost her credibility to CIC.

You have to understand that your wife claimed she was single, when she tried enter into Canada as a visitor, it had been recorded on her file, and that date was after the date listed on your marriage certificate. There isn't any room for you to work with. Sorry, you need to prepare for the worst and the odds are not good to you. Consulting with a good immigration lawyer, please.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
It’s been just a few days since she entered. Going to CIC immediately with an explaination would help ?
That I really don't know. And your wife's record isn't with CIC, the CBSA kept it, but CIC definitely will find this out, when they review your spousal sponsorship, because there is a question on the spousal application to ask when is the last time you entered Canada, and CIC will obtain the record from CBSA to check, then they will find that your wife lied her marital status. What you need to do is to find a good immigration lawyer to consult and find out your option(s).

gaganp

Jul 19, 2014
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
AOR Received.
24-10-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
01/12/2014
Med's Request
12/12/2014
Med's Done....
02/01/2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13/03/2015
thanks for your advice .. appreciate it!!
That I really don't know. And your wife's record isn't with CIC, the CBSA kept it, but CIC definitely will find this out, when they review your spousal sponsorship, because there is a question on the spousal application to ask when is the last time you entered Canada, and CIC will obtain the record from CBSA to check, then they will find that your wife lied her marital status. What you need to do is to find a good immigration lawyer to consult and find out your option(s).

Knittingdemon

Dec 27, 2017
Reading this worries me, because when I entered Canada last, I referred to my husband as my 'partner' (this is what I always do, not trying to conceal anything), and was not asked if we were married. I also thought I'd be leaving sooner than I have ended up with (long story short, thought I'd go to my home country for a job interview in two weeks, did not get the interview after all), again not trying to deceive anyone. I'm prepping our outland application now -- I wonder if I should attach an explanation? Or exit and enter Canada again, this time saying explicitly that we're married?