+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent advice on spouse application

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Reading this worries me, because when I entered Canada last, I referred to my husband as my 'partner' (this is what I always do, not trying to conceal anything), and was not asked if we were married. I also thought I'd be leaving sooner than I have ended up with (long story short, thought I'd go to my home country for a job interview in two weeks, did not get the interview after all), again not trying to deceive anyone. I'm prepping our outland application now -- I wonder if I should attach an explanation? Or exit and enter Canada again, this time saying explicitly that we're married?
Your case is different though. A lot couple will call either other with different "call signs", such as my partner. You don't have to explain anything to CIC, or you can write a very simple explanation letter to CIC to state that "partner" is a call sign between your husband and you, if that can ease your worrisome.

Knittingdemon

Dec 27, 2017
Your case is different though. A lot couple will call either other with different "call signs", such as my partner. You don't have to explain anything to CIC, or you can write a very simple explanation letter to CIC to state that "partner" is a call sign between your husband and you, if that can ease your worrisome.
Right...ok. We do generally call each other partner or, on occasion, girlfriend/boyfriend -- we're both just uncomfortable with wife/husband for cultural reasons mostly. But I've always been honest that I am visiting a (very) long-term partner, so I suppose that should be ok. Thank you!