Urgent : A way to re-enter Canada by air with expired PR card

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
No I am not trying to misrepresent myself!! I'm simply asking in case I give the officer my new passport which is different from the one I used to get my PR, is he going to ask for PR? I do not know if I have to present my PR or not since I am visa exempt. I'm trying to weigh my options to see what the best way is for going back and not getting into trouble but I never said tweaking the truth please don't judge people based on your personal guess!
Sorry if I misunderstood you. I read " Can I risk it or he could get mad if I don't show my PR first to see what he says?? I did not use a US passport to receive my PR before so I was hoping I could get in undetectable..." and that sounded like you wanted to tell the officer if asked that you are not a PR and hope he doesn't find out. In that case it wouldn't in fact be misrepresentation.

If you are asked by the officer why you are coming to Canada and say "just visiting" that would be misrepresentation, if you're lucky and they don't ask that then you're good to go.

Again sorry if I misread your post in away that you wanted to actively hide that you are a PR.

Reactions: moonlight86

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Why impossible? Isn't it ok if only show US passport to airline to get to Canada and expired PR once getting to the airport in Canada?
You cannot travel to Canada by expired PR card. Also Airport officials wouldnt accept except maybe you want to bribe them and thats even illegal. However it states on their website that you can comeinto canada with your landing papers through a private car.

However with US passport. You still need a PR card or visiting Visa to enter canada and vice versa

Edit : Scrolling up i see you are Visa exepmt. Then yeah yoy can use ur Passport to point of entrt and expired Pr card but take your landing papers too just in case

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You cannot travel to Canada by expired PR card. Also Airport officials wouldnt accept except maybe you want to bribe them and thats even illegal. However it states on their website that you can comeinto canada with your landing papers through a private car.

However with US passport. You still need a PR card or visiting Visa to enter canada and vice versa

Edit : Scrolling up i see you are Visa exepmt. Then yeah yoy can use ur Passport to point of entrt and expired Pr card but take your landing papers too just in case
Anyone holding a US passport can travel to Canada even with just an expired PR card, or no documents showing their PR status at all.

Once at Canada POE, having expired PR card, COPR, etc may be helpful but even otherwise CBSA can look up and confirm your PR status simply from your passport.

moonlight86

Oct 17, 2017
Anyone holding a US passport can travel to Canada even with just an expired PR card, or no documents showing their PR status at all.

Once at Canada POE, having expired PR card, COPR, etc may be helpful but even otherwise CBSA can look up and confirm your PR status simply from your passport.
Yes they can look up the info from passport, but I used a different passport when applying for my PR previously. SO I think I should show expired PR and tell the CBSA officer I will renew it when I'm allowed to enter Canada...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes they can look up the info from passport, but I used a different passport when applying for my PR previously. SO I think I should show expired PR and tell the CBSA officer I will renew it when I'm allowed to enter Canada...
CBSA can probably still confirm your PR status even if you have a different passport. Your bio info (full name, place of birth, DOB, etc etc) would all be the same and should allow them to identify you in the system.

Of course having an expired PR card or COPR, would just help to speed up this process.

Also if you're reported for not meeting RO and your H&C reason is not accepted by CBSA, you'll need to enter Canada to start appeal process, not to renew PR card. If you choose to go to appeals, you'll get temporary 1 year validity PR cards until your appeal date is heard.

In order to enter Canada and be assured you can renew your PR card, you'll need a positive determination of your H&C claim at the border by the Minister's Delegate so it goes on your official record.

moonlight86

Oct 17, 2017
CBSA can probably still confirm your PR status even if you have a different passport. Your bio info (full name, place of birth, DOB, etc etc) would all be the same and should allow them to identify you in the system.

Of course having an expired PR card or COPR, would just help to speed up this process.

Also if you're reported for not meeting RO and your H&C reason is not accepted by CBSA, you'll need to enter Canada to start appeal process, not to renew PR card. If you choose to go to appeals, you'll get temporary 1 year validity PR cards until your appeal date is heard.

In order to enter Canada and be assured you can renew your PR card, you'll need a positive determination of your H&C claim at the border by the Minister's Delegate so it goes on your official record.
But if they accept my H&C reason at POE, do they still enter that into my record? Is that going to be a problem for future to renew my PR after I wait for 2 more years to meet RO again?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
But if they accept my H&C reason at POE, do they still enter that into my record? Is that going to be a problem for future to renew my PR after I wait for 2 more years to meet RO again?
It depends.
If CBSA sees you don't meet the RO, then they may consider your H&C reason, may give you just a warning, or for whatever reason the CBSA officer has... may just wave you into Canada without reporting you. So while they may consider your H&C reason, this is NOT an official determination that is put on your record. So this means the safest route is to stay in Canada 2 years and only then apply to renew PR status.

Or, if they intend to report you then you would talk to the Minister's Delegate at the POE. The Minister's Delegate is the one that will review your H&C claim, and make an official determination that will go on your record. If they decide your H&C case is valid and they approve it, that means it's on record so you would be able to apply to renew your PR card immediately without needing to wait for 2 years.

This is just an abbreviated version of what can happen, there may be other steps involved.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
No I am not trying to misrepresent myself!! I'm simply asking in case I give the officer my new passport which is different from the one I used to get my PR, is he going to ask for PR? I do not know if I have to present my PR or not since I am visa exempt. I'm trying to weigh my options to see what the best way is for going back and not getting into trouble but I never said tweaking the truth please don't judge people based on your personal guess!
Are you saying you received ANOTHER US passport since you have gotten your PR status,or you used another countries passport to gain PR status? If it is the earlier, your entry will not be 'disguised' by having a renewed passport. If it is the latter, then you may encounter some issues when you present your US passport and expired PR card. They will want to question why you used that passport in order to get to Canada instead of your original passport. Just be prepared to answer

Another note. Check with the airline to ensure they are going to let you board with a one way ticket. They may require you to purchase a return ticket as well to indemnify themselves in the rare instance that CBSA denies you entry. Keep in mind the airline doesn't KNOW you hold a PR and if you advise them otherwise you will then be required to present it to travel ...

moonlight86

Oct 17, 2017
Are you saying you received ANOTHER US passport since you have gotten your PR status,or you used another countries passport to gain PR status? If it is the earlier, your entry will not be 'disguised' by having a renewed passport. If it is the latter, then you may encounter some issues when you present your US passport and expired PR card. They will want to question why you used that passport in order to get to Canada instead of your original passport. Just be prepared to answer

Another note. Check with the airline to ensure they are going to let you board with a one way ticket. They may require you to purchase a return ticket as well to indemnify themselves in the rare instance that CBSA denies you entry. Keep in mind the airline doesn't KNOW you hold a PR and if you advise them otherwise you will then be required to present it to travel ...
My first passport I got my PR with that was from another country....Well then I only show my expired PR and my landing document instead. Do I really have to show any passport when enter to Canada as a PR? Only landing document should be sufficient from what I've read in this forum before...

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in similar situation, US citizen and a canadian PR card holder. I originally had my PR through my previous citizenship. Last two times I visited Canada via land border, I only showed my US passport and told them I am there to visit which is what I was there for. I was let it without any issues.
For you, you can travel via air and show your US passport. Once in Canada, show your expired PR card along with CORP. Its up to the CBSA officer to let you in. There has been a similar case where a person was let in with an expired PR card.
Hope this helps.

moonlight86

Oct 17, 2017
I am in similar situation, US citizen and a canadian PR card holder. I originally had my PR through my previous citizenship. Last two times I visited Canada via land border, I only showed my US passport and told them I am there to visit which is what I was there for. I was let it without any issues.
For you, you can travel via air and show your US passport. Once in Canada, show your expired PR card along with CORP. Its up to the CBSA officer to let you in. There has been a similar case where a person was let in with an expired PR card.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your help. Also were you in RO breach or you have met the residency by the time you used your US passport to enter Canada? What about the other case you mentioned entered with expired PR, do you know if they were in RO breach or not? Again thanks a lot for your help.

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The first time I entered I wasnt in breach of residency requirements but the second time I was in breach of RO. If you look at the days from the day I "landed" I was in breach, but my PR card is still valid because I got my PR card more than a year later after I landed.
The other case I mentioned also had a PR card expired but he was still allowed to enter. Here are the case details of the person

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/urgent-please-entered-us-canada-land-border-with-expired-pr.521113/

Last edited: