+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Upfront medical delays

clee17

Mar 25, 2020
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice from you guys!

Currently I am working in Canada as a nurse with IEC open work permit. I received ITA on 24th. I already had made appointment to get my medical exam done on 30th but due to COVID outbreak, it is cancelled indefinitely until further notice. I'm uncertain that it will be done on time.

As I needed medical exam done to enter Canada as a student and then a worker, I got my medical exam done on May 2018. Now I know this is more than 12 months and it has expired.

The problem is that my current work permit will expire in April 2020, meaning I need to submit all paperwork to apply for bridging open work permit.

Do you think that submitting expired medical exam will result in rejected PR application?

I can just not work when my work permit expires and wait until my PR comes through, but given current situation, I feel like I need to help. And in order for me to do it legally and safely I really appreciate if you share your thoughts. Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice from you guys!

Currently I am working in Canada as a nurse with IEC open work permit. I received ITA on 24th. I already had made appointment to get my medical exam done on 30th but due to COVID outbreak, it is cancelled indefinitely until further notice. I'm uncertain that it will be done on time.

As I needed medical exam done to enter Canada as a student and then a worker, I got my medical exam done on May 2018. Now I know this is more than 12 months and it has expired.

The problem is that my current work permit will expire in April 2020, meaning I need to submit all paperwork to apply for bridging open work permit.

Do you think that submitting expired medical exam will result in rejected PR application?

I can just not work when my work permit expires and wait until my PR comes through, but given current situation, I feel like I need to help. And in order for me to do it legally and safely I really appreciate if you share your thoughts. Thank you!
IRCC has said that they will not refuse apps right now based on being unable to get documents or medicals due to COVID-19. Submit the extension app with the old medical and a Letter of Explanation.

Have you actually already applied for PR and qualify for a BOWP?

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
IRCC has said that they will not refuse apps right now based on being unable to get documents or medicals due to COVID-19. Submit the extension app with the old medical and a Letter of Explanation.

Have you actually already applied for PR and qualify for a BOWP?
I might be in a similar position, and more responsive :p

I thought it was the case, that the PR application had to be approved, before you could qualify for a BOWP?
If I submit all of my documentation, and am simply waiting for upfront medical and biometrics, can I still apply for BOWP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

I thought it was the case, that the PR application had to be approved, before you could qualify for a BOWP?
If I submit all of my documentation, and am simply waiting for upfront medical and biometrics, can I still apply for BOWP?
The PR app doesn't have to approved. The BOWP requires AOR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This is great, thanks for the response!
However, is the Upfront medical or Biometrics needed before you receive a AOR?
Right now, IRCC has said no apps will be returned for missing things that can't be obtained because of COVID-19. Whether that will affect AOR, I don't know. Probably not.

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Right now, IRCC has said no apps will be returned for missing things that can't be obtained because of COVID-19. Whether that will affect AOR, I don't know. Probably not.
The Upfront medical is a scanned document that you need to b submit yourself right?
That isn't like with the biometrics, where you get that performed at Service Canada, and is automatically applied to your application by them.
So, if you cannot upload the confirmation of upfront medical, you may not get the AOR.
I'll be curious to see how this goes moving forward.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The Upfront medical is a scanned document that you need to b submit yourself right?
That isn't like with the biometrics, where you get that performed at Service Canada, and is automatically applied to your application by them.
So, if you cannot upload the confirmation of upfront medical, you may not get the AOR.
I'll be curious to see how this goes moving forward.
You submit the receipt from the medical. The Panel Physician submits the actual medical report to IRCC.

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
You submit the receipt from the medical. The Panel Physician submits the actual medical report to IRCC.
OK, thanks for the clarification.
However, without the receipt, I think it is unlikely, you would receive an AOR.
They won't timeout your application because you can't get it done, but you also won't be able to fully complete it, and get an AOR, for BOWR.
Sorry for all the questions, and the back and forth, I am getting more familiar with the causality.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They won't timeout your application because you can't get it done, but you also won't be able to fully complete it, and get an AOR, for BOWR.
Sorry for all the questions, and the back and forth, I am getting more familiar with the causality.
As far as I know, AOR is pretty automatic after e-APR, so I can't say what will happen.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

If you need to have your PR approved to get a BOWP, what is the point of the BOWP? That's non-sense.

In the current situation, you need to submit the application with as many supporting documents as you can and then upload a letter explaining why you couldn't upload any document that you were unable to get, I.E. Up-front Medical.

IRCC will not reject any application as incomplete, for the time being at least. You will be able to submit your application and then apply for a BOWP.

AOR is just that: "Acknowledgment of Receipt" which literally means "Hey, we received your application". This is completely independent of whether the application is complete or not.

evilskater

Star Member
Jul 15, 2012
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Same here.. tried to contact a clinic today and they mentioned this.. nobody is accepting upfront exams :(
See below the message they received:

"Dear Panel Members,
We would like to inform you of a major change to the IME process in light of the current pandemic. IRCC is instructing all Panel Physicians globally to cease the processing of Upfront Medical Exams. Starting March 23rd and until further notice, clinics will no longer make appointments for Upfront Medical Exams. If a client arrives for an appointment or requests an appointment over the phone and does not have an IMM 1017 form with IME number, clinics are to advise them that they cannot complete the exam at this time. We will continue to update you as this situation evolves."

IG2020

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
Same here.. tried to contact a clinic today and they mentioned this.. nobody is accepting upfront exams :(
See below the message they received:

"Dear Panel Members,
We would like to inform you of a major change to the IME process in light of the current pandemic. IRCC is instructing all Panel Physicians globally to cease the processing of Upfront Medical Exams. Starting March 23rd and until further notice, clinics will no longer make appointments for Upfront Medical Exams. If a client arrives for an appointment or requests an appointment over the phone and does not have an IMM 1017 form with IME number, clinics are to advise them that they cannot complete the exam at this time. We will continue to update you as this situation evolves."
Hi
Is this something that we can include in Explantion document or do we need to wait for this to be announced in IRCc site ?

evilskater

Star Member
Jul 15, 2012
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hi
Is this something that we can include in Explantion document or do we need to wait for this to be announced in IRCc site ?
That's a good question.. they are giving people an additional 90 days right!? They are expecting it. So if you send your application without your exams, they will probably return it and give you more time, based on the pandemic based schedules.
In my case I will wait one or 2 months before sending without it.. see how far this thing goes! Unless someone knows any other way around.