+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Upfront medical and got medical request again! Please reply if you had a similar situation.

Khaz

Star Member
Jan 27, 2021
Hey guys! I did an upfront medical back in July 2020 and when I applied to PR (family sponsorship) submitted medical along with my application. However in March 2021 I got a medical request again despite having a valid one. I resubmitted my upfront medical through webform explaining my situation and few days back I got a response to my webform saying they forwarded my medical to the responsible office. Nevertheless my Gckey account still says your action is required and medical has not been updated. Any thoughts what should I do in this case?

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
IRCC is many many months behind on processing medical exam results.

Unless the second medical request mentions additional testing needed because of anomalous results from the first exam I'd say you're fine. Just wait for them to get caught up.

If you're inland you could call them and ask them to check. I did my medical exam in December 2020 and they got the results just days later. My gckey account had a "we haven't received the results of your required medical exam" notice until a week ago when it changed to "We have requested a medical exam. Please see your messages for details". I called IRCC and they checked it out and told me everything looked fine and they couldn't explain why I got the 2nd request. A few days later my gckey account update said I'd passed my medical exam.

Reactions: Khaz

EarthAngel77

May 2, 2021

Unless the second medical request mentions additional testing needed because of anomalous results from the first exam I'd say you're fine. Just wait for them to get caught up.

If you're inland you could call them and ask them to check. I did my medical exam in December 2020 and they got the results just days later. My gckey account had a "we haven't received the results of your required medical exam" notice until a week ago when it changed to "We have requested a medical exam. Please see your messages for details". I called IRCC and they checked it out and told me everything looked fine and they couldn't explain why I got the 2nd request. A few days later my gckey account update said I'd passed my medical exam.

I’m in the same situation. May I know what phone number you used to contact IRCC? I can’t seem to talk to an agent. Only the operator saying same things.

Khaz

Star Member
Jan 27, 2021

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.!

Yes, I am an inland applicant and have already called them twice to see what's going on there. According to 2 agents my medical has been received and needs to reviewed by an officer. 30 days that have been given to complete a medical have already been passed however in my Gckey account still saying they did not receive my medical results. So, now I am just waiting for the officer to review and acknowledge it.

Last edited:

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I thought it wasn't allowed to do the medical exam in advance for family sponsorship. That's why they request it again. Is my understanding correct?

This is the information that I am familiar with:
When to get your medical exam
You can either get your medical exam before or after you apply.

Getting an exam before you submit your application
You have the option of getting an exam before you apply. This is called an upfront medical exam. To get one, contact a panel physician directly.

You can get one if you apply to:

• visit (including parent and grandparent super visa)
  • work
  • study

So family sponsorship isn't on the list here.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents.html#when

Last edited:
Reactions: Canada2020eh

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I thought it wasn't allowed to do the medical exam in advance for family sponsorship. That's why they request it again. Is my understanding correct?

This is the information that I am familiar with:
When to get your medical exam
You can either get your medical exam before or after you apply.

Getting an exam before you submit your application
You have the option of getting an exam before you apply. This is called an upfront medical exam. To get one, contact a panel physician directly.

You can get one if you apply to:

• visit (including parent and grandparent super visa)
  • work
  • study

So family sponsorship isn't on the list here.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents.html#when
You are correct, you can't do an upfront medical for spousal sponsorship. So the request for the medical from the OP was legit.

Khaz

Star Member
Jan 27, 2021
You are correct, you can't do an upfront medical for spousal sponsorship. So the request for the medical from the OP was legit.
I did a medical exam for my visitor visa extension back on 10th July 2020. And then applied for sponsorship on 24th July 2020 and submitted it along with my PR application. And then got another medical instruction in March. Do you think I should do another exam despite having a valid one?

Khaz

Star Member
Jan 27, 2021
I think you responded while I was editing my reply. Did you take a look at the webpage?
sorry yes, now I saw the link. But I have no idea how people did an upfront medical and got approved since mine still says we did not receive your medical (

Khaz

Star Member
Jan 27, 2021
You don't seem to have saved any time by doing upfront, though - if anything the opposite. Congrats though.
Thank you. I did not do an upfront medical because I wanted to save any time. I did it because I was requested to do so when I was extending my visitor visa and submitted it along with my PR application. It was valid and resubmitted again.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you. I did not do an upfront medical because I wanted to save any time. I did it because I was requested to do so when I was extending my visitor visa and submitted it along with my PR application. It was valid and resubmitted again.
Fair enough. Just mentioning as it comes up (including some consultants recommending) that applicants try this and then have similar issues.