+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Updating PR card - legal name change after marriage

jane212

Jun 12, 2016
Hi all,

I have become a PR before marriage but I recently got my passport updated to reflect the name change. However, I added my husband's last name to my maiden name so I haven't changed it entirely.

I've read that I need to update my PR card (apply for a new card) but I will be travelling in 3 weeks and I don't want to apply for a travel document. Ideally, I want to renew my PR card after I came back to Canada. Would I be able to enter Canada with a PR card that only has my name as "Jane X.." while my new passport shows my name as "Jane X.. Y..." ? I also have my previous passport as a proof so it's clear that I am the same person. Still I am a bit worried. Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you very much in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi all,

I have become a PR before marriage but I recently got my passport updated to reflect the name change. However, I added my husband's last name to my maiden name so I haven't changed it entirely.

I've read that I need to update my PR card (apply for a new card) but I will be travelling in 3 weeks and I don't want to apply for a travel document. Ideally, I want to renew my PR card after I came back to Canada. Would I be able to enter Canada with a PR card that only has my name as "Jane X.." while my new passport shows my name as "Jane X.. Y..." ? I also have my previous passport as a proof so it's clear that I am the same person. Still I am a bit worried. Has anyone experienced this?

1. Carry a copy of your marriage certificate.

Reactions: jane212

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hi all,

As someone who has recently updated his PR card due to name change, my 2 cents would be for you to send in your application to renew your PR card and travel outside. You can keep your existing card with you which can be used with you to enter back to Canada. Make sure to carry your marriage certificate and any other document supporting this name change.