+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Updating married name on citizenship application

Roshsky

Oct 12, 2017
Hello,

I have the below scenario towards applying for my citizenship and wanted some guidance from the group here. I want to update my married name on my citizenship application and have come across mixed feedback on this. The current details of my documents are as follows:

Indian Passport (only given name/no last name) - Mary Doe
Canadian PR Card (only last name/no given name - processed by CiC - Do not want to update the PR card now due to the processing timelines) - Mary Doe
Updated SIN Card (Given Name/middle name/last name - Service Canada accepted my Indian marriage certificate and made the change) - Mary Doe Smith

I would like to have the same information on the Citizenship Certificate as the SIN Card. I can provide them the Marriage certificate. Can anyone please advise me if this is possible without delaying the application or is it recommended that I proceed with the application using details on my PR card and once I get the citizenship certificate then update the certificate itself.

Thanks,
R

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Did you do a legal name change? I don't think you can just "take your married name using a marriage certificate" for citizenship.
After the process of official name change, then you can include document for your citizenship application.
I don't think you can change name on citizenship certificate once you obtained it.

There are different document depending on which province you live in.
e.g.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life-events/legal-changes-of-name/legal-change-of-name-application

Last edited:
Reactions: Roshsky

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)

If you have legally changed your name outside Canada and are residing in Canada

Then you must provide a copy of the following documents:

• A foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation amended to reflect the new name;
  • A document that links your previous name to your new name, such as a foreign marriage certificate (with an official translation); and
  • A document in the new name from Canadian provinces or territories (ex. driver's license, health card, age of majority card, senior citizen’s identification card, or social service card)

Roshsky

Oct 12, 2017
Did you do a legal name change? I don't think you can just "take your married name using a marriage certificate" for citizenship.
After the process of official name change, then you can include document for your citizenship application.
I don't think you can change name on citizenship certificate once you obtained it.

e.g.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life-events/legal-changes-of-name/legal-change-of-name-application

Hi Charmaine,

We haven't gone through a legal name change as the it was only adding the surname/last name. In Ontario one can assume their spouses name on their govt. docs. like health card, drivers licence etc.

Thanks,
Roshan

Roshsky

Oct 12, 2017

e.g.
Hi YVR123,

We haven't gone through a legal name change as the it was only adding the surname/last name. In Ontario one can assume their spouses name on their govt. docs. like health card, drivers licence etc.

In going through the application guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

I came across the below. Does this change things. Service Canada did not request for additional documents other than Marriage Certificate to update SIN information

The following documents are accepted for changes to family name only:

• Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Registration or declaration of union issued by civil authorities
  • Revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by civil authorities
  • Registration for common-law relationship, in provinces that permit changes of name for common-law relationships under their provincial/territorial law

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Use your name on PR card / Landing paper. Or get it legally changed.

Better to call cic and get official answer, considering how useful the cic call center is, a lawyer who knows these matters would be a good option as well.

Name changes / disparities can be a pain in the a**, so make sure you do it properly.

I will never understand why women change name after marriage, all over the world, it's like property transfer or something, but, that's a separate debate.

Roshsky

Oct 12, 2017
Use your name on PR card / Landing paper. Or get it legally changed.

Better to call cic and get official answer, considering how useful the cic call center is, a lawyer who knows these matters would be a good option as well.

Name changes / disparities can be a pain in the a**, so make sure you do it properly.

I will never understand why women change name after marriage, all over the world, it's like property transfer or something, but, that's a separate debate.
Thanks devilhimself.. Will try connecting with CiC

Reactions: devilhimselff

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Hello Roshan! I myself changed my last name to my married name.

Though my PR card has my maiden name , my passport and driver's license has my married name.

When I landed as PR and went to service Canada to apply for a new SIN, I asked the lady to change my last name to my married name. No problem. I just showed my marriage certificate.

Then I renewed my passport and had it changed to my married name. (Traveled to the US with my PR card and Passport with different names with no problem.)
Now, I am gathering documents to apply for citizenship and because I got married here in Canada, our marriage certificate is sufficient as per the instruction guide.

Now, since your marriage certificate cert is from India right? then I think the best way to go is to change your passport first to your married name before applying.

This is the reason too why I changed my name on my passport because I know that CIC will follow whatever name is on there.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Well if Onta
Hi YVR123,

In going through the application guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

I came across the below. Does this change things. Service Canada did not request for additional documents other than Marriage Certificate to update SIN information

The following documents are accepted for changes to family name only:

• Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Registration or declaration of union issued by civil authorities
  • Revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by civil authorities
  • Registration for common-law relationship, in provinces that permit changes of name for common-law relationships under their provincial/territorial law
If Ontario is the same as BC, then yes, you can change SIN information with married name using marriage certificate. BUT you need a legal name change for immigration documents. (i.e. PR card, Citizenship Certificate)

This is from the BC site, I am sure this type of information will be on the Ontario site.

There are only a couple of circumstances in which you would need a legal change of name to take a spouse's name:
• If you want to create a new surname by adding your birth surname as a middle name, or combining it with your spouse's surname. e.g. Smith-Jones or Smith Jones; or
• If you want to update your immigration or citizenship documents to reflect a new name or a married surname

Roshsky

Oct 12, 2017
Hello Roshan! I myself changed my last name to my married name.

Though my PR card has my maiden name , my passport and driver's license has my married name.

When I landed as PR and went to service Canada to apply for a new SIN, I asked the lady to change my last name to my married name. No problem. I just showed my marriage certificate.

Then I renewed my passport and had it changed to my married name. (Traveled to the US with my PR card and Passport with different names with no problem.)
Now, I am gathering documents to apply for citizenship and because I got married here in Canada, our marriage certificate is sufficient as per the instruction guide.

Now, since your marriage certificate cert is from India right? then I think the best way to go is to change your passport first to your married name before applying.

This is the reason too why I changed my name on my passport because I know that CIC will follow whatever name is on there.
Thanks for the detailed information Charmaine!

Roshsky

Oct 12, 2017

e.g.
Thanks YVR123!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
charmainefrances is correct. As explained here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp), you can receive a replacement PR card in a married name by presenting a marriage certificate issued in Canada. If you were not married in Canada, you need to present your foreign passport showing your married name and a document linking your original name to your married name (e.g. your foreign marriage certificate, translated into English or French).

So, in your case, you would either need to have your Indian passport updated with your married name, OR have your name officially changed.

Roshsky

Oct 12, 2017
charmainefrances is correct. As explained here (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp), you can receive a replacement PR card in a married name by presenting a marriage certificate issued in Canada. If you were not married in Canada, you need to present your foreign passport showing your married name and a document linking your original name to your married name (e.g. your foreign marriage certificate, translated into English or French).

So, in your case, you would either need to have your Indian passport updated with your married name, OR have your name officially changed.
Thanks Alphazip

antonette28

Mar 17, 2016
Hi,

I saw your post regarding the change of name during citizenship application... What happened? Did you notify them about the change? Coz right now I also changed my Driver's license to Married name while waiting for oath ceremony.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Hi,

I saw your post regarding the change of name during citizenship application... What happened? Did you notify them about the change? Coz right now I also changed my Driver's license to Married name while waiting for oath ceremony.
Hi,

I do not believe changing your driver's license to your married name has anything to do with your citizenship application.
That would only make a difference if you wanted your citizenship papers to reflect your married name (which is another can of worms, and best option in this case, as I understand it, would be to finish your citizenship process and then apply for a legal name change afterwards- or do it prior and apply with your new name already).

Hopefully this helps :)