+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Updating marital status

jessann

Jan 23, 2018
Hi I recently got married in December and I'm about to update my marital status to CRA, I have 2 children, my husband is here on a work permit he got just this year and has a temporary sin, my question is how will this affect my child tax? I have read peoples get stopped once notifying of married , my husband had no income last year because he didn't have a work permit he didn't file taxes last year either , a bit of a confusing situation but I rely on my child tax to support my children so wanting to know what to expect

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi I recently got married in December and I'm about to update my marital status to CRA, I have 2 children, my husband is here on a work permit he got just this year and has a temporary sin, my question is how will this affect my child tax? I have read peoples get stopped once notifying of married , my husband had no income last year because he didn't have a work permit he didn't file taxes last year either , a bit of a confusing situation but I rely on my child tax to support my children so wanting to know what to expect
If people who is advising you to not notify CRA about your marital status, then they are morons because you would be committing tax fraud if you listened to them.

In regards to CCB, it is calculated based on how many kids you have and the income you earned within the tax year. Since your husband has no income, he will still need to file taxes for the year he missed. Your income and your husband income plus your 2 kids will be taken into account on how much CCB you will get. The only effect is that if your total family income is over $30,000, then your CCB will reduce which is 13.5% with 2 kids

jessann

Jan 23, 2018
Hi no one is telling me not to! I have been reading reviews and just saw that they usually stop the child benefit so wanted to know more about what happens , so will they make him file an income tax and then recalculate my child tax once he does? Do they usually stop the child tax right away? Or is there somewhere that I write his income was zero? Thanks for your reply

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi no one is telling me not to! I have been reading reviews and just saw that they usually stop the child benefit so wanted to know more about what happens , so will they make him file an income tax and then recalculate my child tax once he does? Do they usually stop the child tax right away? Or is there somewhere that I write his income was zero? Thanks for your reply
You will be required to declare his world income for 2016 for CRA to calculate how much benefit you qualify for. The benefit amount will be re-assessed in June or July of this year based on 2017 income.

They will likely stop your benefit while they calculate if and how much you now qualify for.