+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update SIN record after getting Citizenship

Hi,

Do we need to update our SIN record after obtaining citizenship? I know our SIN itself won't change from when we used to be PRs, but this is what I just noticed:

Submit a SIN application to:
  • request a SIN for the first time
  • obtain a confirmation of your SIN
  • correct an error on a SIN record
  • update a legal change of name
  • update the citizenship status on your SIN record
  • update your immigration document’s expiry date on your SIN record
  • remove your disc number from your SIN record

Source: Social Insurance Number – Apply - Canada.ca

mikemma.9295

Jul 31, 2018
Waterloo
I don't think you need to update it. I asked the same question while applying for a new SIN after obtaining PR. The Service Canada agent confirmed that there is no need to update the Citizenship status as it won't affect my residency status.

I am glad you brought up this question though. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: 8494193

I don't think you need to update it. I asked the same question while applying for a new SIN after obtaining PR. The Service Canada agent confirmed that there is no need to update the Citizenship status as it won't affect my residency status.

I am glad you brought up this question though. Please keep us posted.
Will do. And yeah, it probably doesn't need to be updated, but I'm a bit OCD in terms of needing to have everything to be in sync :p

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I didn't know this was a thing and could need an update. The only place we had to update was my daughter's middle school, even though I don't recall what triggered the need to update school records.

MAT9

Nov 1, 2018
Me too! I have already included this task in my post-citizenship checklist. And will remove it depending on what you update us with. LOL
I think there are two types of SIN One starting with 9 and other with 5. Sin card starting with 5 are issued to the PR and citizen and 9 is issued to the workers with work permit.

So, update and conclusion to the story:
  • ~3 business days after placing the request I got an email saying the request has been processed and that they've sent me a piece of mail.
  • ~2 weeks after that email, I received that piece of mail...drum-roll...a copy of my SIN confirmation with the same/existing SIN (obviously, no surprise). No mention of what they actually did, lol. I would assume they updated their records :rolleyes:

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
  • ~3 business days after placing the request I got an email saying the request has been processed and that they've sent me a piece of mail.
  • ~2 weeks after that email, I received that piece of mail...drum-roll...a copy of my SIN confirmation with the same/existing SIN (obviously, no surprise). No mention of what they actually did, lol. I would assume they updated their records :rolleyes:
Thanks for the update. Do you recommend that the rest of us do it or you must have an OCD to do it? One would imagine that your status will be updated across all government agencies once you become citizen. Seems a bit redundant.

Thanks for the update. Do you recommend that the rest of us do it or you must have an OCD to do it? One would imagine that your status will be updated across all government agencies once you become citizen. Seems a bit redundant.
Simple OCD to do it. I don't think it really matters since its a permanent SIN anyway. As for status updating across all agencies automatically, I am not so sure ;)

Reactions: UnleashedFX

mikemma.9295

Jul 31, 2018
Waterloo
Appreciate the update, @sid8tive :)

melito

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-12-2016
AOR Received.
27-02-2017
Med's Request
05-04-2017
Med's Done....
08-04-2017
Passport Req..
09-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
17-05-2018
Not sure how I feel about stumbling across this thread but you've inspired my similarly OCD self to also update my status. I've applied online. Lol thanks for sharing your experience