+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update PR file after marriage, wife is in Canada on dependent work visa

abhijit159

Apr 3, 2019
I am in urgent need to help!

Here are my file details
1. Applied for PR (after confirmation of CSQ) through Quebec skilled immigration program in Sept,17
2. While PR was processing, got married in Jan,19
3. Informed IRCC about marriage by dropping them message through IRCC web portal
4. my wife came to canada by applying for dependednt visa in april,19.
5. I want to update my file after my marriage, but want to get only my PR processed alone by showing her as non-accompanying as I am informed that if I update my file as accompanying partner, then we may have to apply for CSQ again and then file PR together which may take 2 more years.
6. What shall I do if I just want to have my PR processed at first and then I will sponsor my wife once I have my PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in urgent need to help!

Here are my file details
1. Applied for PR (after confirmation of CSQ) through Quebec skilled immigration program in Sept,17
2. While PR was processing, got married in Jan,19
3. Informed IRCC about marriage by dropping them message through IRCC web portal
4. my wife came to canada by applying for dependednt visa in april,19.
5. I want to update my file after my marriage, but want to get only my PR processed alone by showing her as non-accompanying as I am informed that if I update my file as accompanying partner, then we may have to apply for CSQ again and then file PR together which may take 2 more years.
6. What shall I do if I just want to have my PR processed at first and then I will sponsor my wife once I have my PR.
How will you be able to process PR with wife as non-accompanying when she is already in Canada. It doesn’t work that way. Why have you not added her already?

abhijit159

Apr 3, 2019
Canuck78,
Thanks for your reply.

I have not yet updated my file as I was too busy with other things.
I just spoke with one of the agent ans she told me for IRCC non-accompanying simply means that spouse doesnt want PR right now and I have to sponsor her in future.
Whereas accompanying means we both will have PR together.

But I want to have my PR done sooner and have heard that if I specify my wife as accompanying then it takes more time to process. Is it true?
What is best for me, as I said my priority is to get the PR for me at the earliest.

Many thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canuck78,
Thanks for your reply.

I just spoke with one of the agent ans she told me for IRCC non-accompanying simply means that spouse doesnt want PR right now and I have to sponsor her in future.

But I want to have my PR done sooner and have heard that if I specify my wife as accompanying then it takes more time to process. Is it true?
What is best for me, as I said my priority is to get the PR for me at the earliest.

Many thanks.
When you called IRCC did you mention that your wife is already in Canada working? If you say your wife is non-accompanying but she is working in Canada you could be denied. If your wife wants to return home or apply on her own for PR that would be different. Having your wife as non-accompanying is fine but it doesn’t work when your wife is already in Canada working on a SOWP. Had you added her to the application months ago it would not have created too many delays.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Canuck78,
Thanks for your reply.

Many thanks.
The mandatory addition of your wife is what increases the processing time; whether she is accompanying or not is irrelevant. Your PR app will not be done faster if she is non-accompanying.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
When you called IRCC did you mention that your wife is already in Canada working? If you say your wife is non-accompanying but she is working in Canada you could be denied. If your wife wants to return home or apply on her own for PR that would be different. Having your wife as non-accompanying is fine but it doesn’t work when your wife is already in Canada working on a SOWP. Had you added her to the application months ago it would not have created too many delays.
It doesn't matter if the spouse is in Canada. The PA can choose whether the spouse is accompanying or not.

Pelobzh

May 7, 2019
Hi,

Very interesting because I'm in the same situation.
I'm not married but just in common law partnership situation since 6 months and not still mentioned in my PR application because when I launched my PR I was in solo.
I'm alone inland PR applicant in QSW Program, I have the CSQ (by PEQ express process)
I just got my CoPR 1 week ago.
Currently I have a Open Work Permit linked to my partner to wait the PR.
My partner already has his CSQ (by PEQ express process) since 3 month and currently in his own work permit and she wants to launch his own PR application (so no sponsorship)

BUT ...

When I received the CoPR I saw that is mandatory to declare common law partner.
So, what is the best way to declare my common law partner before validating my PR ?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Very interesting because I'm in the same situation.
I'm not married but just in common law partnership situation since 6 months and not still mentioned in my PR application because when I launched my PR I was in solo.
I'm alone PR applicant in QSW Program, I have the CSQ (by PEQ express process)
I just got my CoPR 1 week ago.
Currently I have a Open Work Permit linked to my partner to wait the PR.
My partner already has his CSQ (by PEQ express process) since 3 month and currently in his own work permit

BUT ...

When I received the CoPR I saw that is mandatory to declare common law partner.
So, what is the best way to declare my common law partner before validating my PR ?
You should have added your partner as soon as you became common-law. You need to send a Webform to IRCC to inform them about your partner. Your partner will need to complete forms, get all documents/PCCs, have a medical. You will have to return your COPR. Expect at least as additional 4 months of processing time.

Pelobzh

May 7, 2019
You should have added your partner as soon as you became common-law. You need to send a Webform to IRCC to inform them about your partner. Your partner will need to complete forms, get all documents/PCCs, have a medical. You will have to return your COPR. Expect at least as additional 4 months of processing time.
Wouhaaaaa !! Very quick reply !!! Thanks so much !
I'm not finish to complete my message and you already reply me ;-)
I would like to edit : she has his daughter and I'm not the official father ? How is it going for the 7 years child ?
Not needed to reassess my CSQ ? Just medicals and security check for my partner ? His child also ?

Thanks so much

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I would like to edit : she has his daughter and I'm not the official father ? How is it going for the 7 years child ?
Not needed to reassess my CSQ ? Just medicals and security check for my partner ? His child also ?

Thanks so much
The child must also be included in the application, accompanying, or non-accompanying.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks so much
As said above, the child must be included as well. I can't say about the CSQ. You need to contact Quebec immigration about that.

Pelobzh

May 7, 2019
The child must also be included in the application, accompanying, or non-accompanying.
Thanks so much !!

Just to clarify :
What is the exact definition for accompanying or non-accompanying.
Because in my case they are both in Canada.

What is the best way for me knowing she already has his CSQ with Work Permit ?

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks so much !!

Just to clarify :
What is the exact definition for accompanying or non-accompanying.
Because in my case they are both in Canada.

What is the best way for me knowing she already has his CSQ with Work Permit ?
Whether you are requesting a COPR be issued or not.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OK so no matter if they are physically with me or not.

That is, whether I want to link it into my permanent residence request or not.
Yep.