+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update name on PR Card

urstrulyaddy

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
Hi Team, I have few questions regarding my wife's PR card.

While applying her PR, Her passport didn't have Surname it was blank and only Given Name.

Example :

Given Name : abcd efgh
Surname :

Based on above information I sponsored her PR
Instructions were - Given name from passport was filled in Last Name section of the PR Application and Given name as blank on the PR Application.

Like this :
Last Name : abcd efgh
Given Name : N/A

The PR application was approved last year. And later we applied all her documents like SIN, Health Card, Ontario Driver's License, Bank accounts etc.

PR Card and all other documents have her name printed as :
"abcd efgh, "

Now, comes the time to renew her Indian passport. We have the option to add My surname to her Passport by submitting our Indian marriage certificate.

Example her new passport would like like :
Surname : xyz

But if we do this, this will not be in sync hereafter with PR Card and all her Canadian documents.

Q1. For the interim, Can she travel with her old and new passports along with her original PR Card and marriage certificate?

Q2. When I look for the application to new PR card to update this, I see the following requirement of documents :
  • a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.

I will submit her Indian passport with updated surname. But what is the official document linking old and new names? Does her old passport and the marriage certificate work? The marriage certificate only lists both our original names, is that sufficient? Do we need to have an affidavit from Indian authorities stating "abcd efgh" and "abcd efgh xyz" are the same person? I need help here! Thanks!

Arpana31

Dec 21, 2021
I did update my pr card after I changed my name.
Exactly same situation.
I gave them photocopies of my old passport and new one.
Do send the marriage certificate as well.
I also attached my updated driver's license

urstrulyaddy

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
I did update my pr card after I changed my name.
Exactly same situation.
I gave them photocopies of my old passport and new one.
Do send the marriage certificate as well.
I also attached my updated driver's license
Hi, thanks for sharing. Few questions :

Did you do the passport renewal in India?

Were u able to travel back to Canada with both passports and the first PR Card(which is not updated yet)?

How did you update your license in Canada (Ontario)? Based on new passport?

Also, for PR update, did you take any name change certificate from Ontario province?

Arpana31

Dec 21, 2021
1. Sorry u mean update the Passport with the new name ? If yes then yes u got it updated via Bls , brampton.
They have a list of documents u would need to update the name and fee etc.
2. I was in canada itself so, No
But I don't think so that should be an issue. I am not sure though.
As I did travel to USA with both the passports as my visa was on old passport with old name.
3.yes so u would need new passport and go to specific government owned service ontario location for updating name on health card and drivers license.
They will update it and you will receive your new driving license in mail.
U can also update SIn online after that.
4. When u update ur name after marrigar, taking over husband's last name the name change certificate is not needed. Just the marriage certificate works.

Also, you need physical new drivers license copy to apply for new pr card.
You can use the paper thingy they give you and apply.

Reactions: urstrulyaddy

urstrulyaddy

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
@Arpana31
Thank you so much. So looks like Service Ontario can update License and Health card just based on New Passport & Marriage Certificate when assuming Husband's last name! Didn't know that. And then based on these 2 docs, I will update her SIN. Sounds like a plan.

My wife also has a US Visa. So again same situation, good to know, she can carry both passports. But when you book tickets for air travel, probably it should follow the old name on visa right?

The only difference in the situation here is, the new passport is being applied in India instead of BLS here. Hopefully she can travel back to Canada without any issues.

I'm confused on this part -

"Also, you need physical new drivers license copy to apply for new pr card.
You can use the paper thingy they give you and apply."

Are you saying I need to wait for physical updated drivers license card to be able to apply for new pr card OR the temporary thing they give is sufficient to submit the PR Card application?

What was your timeline for all this to be done?

Arpana31

Dec 21, 2021
For USA, I am not sure but 100% u use the new name for booking tickets.
I actually got a new h4 visa with new name.
But the cbp officer told me I can use my old visitor visa with old name on my nexus card.

But if you are applying name change in india then requirements might be different.
They vary as per country.

I did all of this process in canada, got married in Usa.

Qq : are you doing renewal of passport in India??

urstrulyaddy

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
Okay. Probably we need to user the name mentioned on her US Visitor visa for air tickets.

Yes, passport renewal will be done in India and that's where she is going to update her blank surname to mine.

Arpana31

Dec 21, 2021
Pls refer to info regarding US tickets on their website for accurate info.

In that case pls confirm with canadian customs if she can travel on pr card with different name.
As I am 100% sure that airports in India might create issue during immigration

urstrulyaddy

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
I need to double check with Airline.

@Arpana31 I have a Q, you said you changed your passport here in Brampton. I read the conditions on Toronto Consulate, we need to be a resident of Ontario for atleast 3 years to apply name change service. Is this the case with you? My wife has been here only 1.5 year and that's also one of the reason we never considered applying in BLS here.

Arpana31

Dec 21, 2021
Yes I went myself to bls brampton in 2020.
I don't knoe about conditions for residency but at that point I had been in canada for more than 3 years

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I need to double check with Airline.

@Arpana31 I have a Q, you said you changed your passport here in Brampton. I read the conditions on Toronto Consulate, we need to be a resident of Ontario for atleast 3 years to apply name change service. Is this the case with you? My wife has been here only 1.5 year and that's also one of the reason we never considered applying in BLS here.
Don't know what rules you're referring to, if a resident in Ontario for more than one year, you can change name acc to ontario law.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name

urstrulyaddy

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
Don't know what rules you're referring to, if a resident in Ontario for more than one year, you can change name acc to ontario law.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name
I'm talking about name change on Indian passport. It requires a minimum 3-yr residency in Canada to do it. Found in FAQ https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/passport-faqs/

Who is eligible to apply for a name change in Passport?

This facility is available only for applicants residing in Canada continuously for over 3 years and having Permanent Resident, Work Permit or Study Permit. Applicants on Visitor permit can not apply for name change in passport.

urstrulyaddy

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
Hi Team, I have few questions regarding my wife's PR card.

While applying her PR, Her passport didn't have Surname it was blank and only Given Name.

Example :

Surname :

Based on above information I sponsored her PR
Instructions were - Given name from passport was filled in Last Name section of the PR Application and Given name as blank on the PR Application.

Like this :
Last Name : abcd efgh
Given Name : N/A

The PR application was approved last year. And later we applied all her documents like SIN, Health Card, Ontario Driver's License, Bank accounts etc.

PR Card and all other documents have her name printed as :
"abcd efgh, "

Now, comes the time to renew her Indian passport. We have the option to add My surname to her Passport by submitting our Indian marriage certificate.

Example her new passport would like like :
Surname : xyz

But if we do this, this will not be in sync hereafter with PR Card and all her Canadian documents.

Q1. For the interim, Can she travel back to Canada with her old and new passports along with her original PR Card and marriage certificate?

Q2. When I look for the application to new PR card to update this, I see the following requirement of documents :
  • a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.

I will submit her Indian passport with updated surname. But what is the official document linking old and new names? Does her old passport and the marriage certificate work? The marriage certificate only lists both our original names, is that sufficient? Do we need to have an affidavit from Indian authorities stating "abcd efgh" and "abcd efgh xyz" are the same person? I need help here! Thanks!
@armoured what are your thoughts on Q1? From other posts on forum it seems like it should be possible. However want to double check.