Doc's Request.
31-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014 (SA)
Med's Done....
18-07-2014
Passport Req..
Exempt
I have a unique car that I want to bring with us to Canada. It is a second generation Toyota RAV4 EV, of which only 2600 have been made. Currently, I lease it, but I intend to purchase it out from Toyota Financial prior to moving. The car was manufactured in Woodstock, ON. Despite the fact that the car was only sold in California, it seems to have been manufactured to comply with Canadian specifications as it includes DRLs and French translations of warning stickers etc. Here's what I'm trying to figure out...

1. Is it considered mine from the point I started the lease or from the point I purchase it out from Toyota?

2. If it's the latter, presumably I need to pay duty to import it since I would have "owned" it less than a year. However, since it was made in Canada, would duty even be applicable since, like myself, it is just returning to it's birthplace?

3. I have heard through the grapevine that one other person has imported a second generation RAV4 EV into Canada, but I don't know which province it was taken to. I am going to BC, but ICBC and BCAA don't have data for the RAV4 EV on their websites. Will I have to go through any special inspection process with ICBC or something in addition to RIV - or is RIV's word sufficient for ICBC to register the car?