+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unsuccessful PhD completion - what now?

LeeroyJ

Nov 28, 2022
Hello, everyone.

First of all, my apologies if there is a thread about this type of inquiry already established. If that is the case, please point me in the right direction before this gets deleted.

Unfortunately, it looks like the all the work I put into getting a PhD is not going to be rewarded with a degree. So no PGWPP for me.

My current student visa expires in one more year. I would like to stay in Canada. This is a very stressful situation, so I appreciate any pointers, even if they are basic ones.

What are the places and resources that I should be aware of?

Ultraxion

May 10, 2022
In theory you cannot stay in Canada after you drop out of your PhD uni, even if your SP is still valid.

IRPR Section 220.1 (1) The holder of a study permit in Canada is subject to the following conditions:

(a) they shall enroll at a designated learning institution and remain enrolled at a designated learning institution until they complete their studies; and

(b) they shall actively pursue their course or program of study.

(Emphasis added)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, everyone.

First of all, my apologies if there is a thread about this type of inquiry already established. If that is the case, please point me in the right direction before this gets deleted.

Unfortunately, it looks like the all the work I put into getting a PhD is not going to be rewarded with a degree. So no PGWPP for me.

My current student visa expires in one more year. I would like to stay in Canada. This is a very stressful situation, so I appreciate any pointers, even if they are basic ones.

Sorry for your situation.

Schools are required to report drop outs to IRCC. Once the drop out is reported, IRCC cancels the study permit in you aren't reenrolled in a new full time program by then. To avoid falling out of status, you should apply to change your status as visitor. That will allow you to remain in Canada at least for a period of time. In other words, the fact your current student visa expires in one year doesn't mean you are allowed to stay in Canada for another year.

If you plan to start a different full time program soon (e.g. January or May), then you can notify IRCC of this once you are accepted in the program and there's no need to change your status to visitor. You will need to extend the duration of your study permit however to cover yourself to the end of this new program. You will qualify for a PGWP based on the duration of your second program.

Note that you have to stop working as soon as you stop attending school / drop out of the program / are removed from the program by your school.

If you want to be able to work in Canada, then you need to secure a job offer + approved LMIA from an employer in Canada (or look for an LMIA-exempt job if you're in the right profession). Depending on your occupation, it may be quite feasible to secure a job offer + LMIA even without finishing your PhD.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello, everyone.

Just curious why are you not getting a degree awarded, did you dropped out willingly or any other reason? Because from experience I very well know it takes a lot of efforts and almost your life to get through it. It takes a lot of courage to make up one's mind to apply to it let apart start the degree, so just curious.

LeeroyJ

Nov 28, 2022
Just curious why are you not getting a degree awarded, did you dropped out willingly or any other reason? Because from experience I very well know it takes a lot of efforts and almost your life to get through it. It takes a lot of courage to make up one's mind to apply to it let apart start the degree, so just curious.
Some of my ideas did not work as well as I hoped... And in the culture I am immersed into, only a sucessful hypothesis is valid as far as a degree is concerned.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Some of my ideas did not work as well as I hoped... And in the culture I am immersed into, only a sucessful hypothesis is valid as far as a degree is concerned.
Did you tried changing your topic? Did you discussed it with your supervisor, usually they are very helpul. Mine is still in touch.

LeeroyJ

Nov 28, 2022
Did you tried changing your topic? Did you discussed it with your supervisor, usually they are very helpul. Mine is still in touch.
I will go through all the process, I will not just leave. Leaving is just the most likely scenario, so I am preparing myself. Thanks for your interest tho, hard times ahead either way.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I will go through all the process, I will not just leave. Leaving is just the most likely scenario, so I am preparing myself. Thanks for your interest tho, hard times ahead either way.
Don't worry if you are determined you will get it. Prove them wrong and give your best. All the best. I know it is a very tough and stressful situation but don't worry keep trying your best.

Reactions: LeeroyJ

LeeroyJ

Nov 28, 2022
Don't worry if you are determined you will get it. Prove them wrong and give your best. All the best. I know it is a very tough and stressful situation but don't worry keep trying your best.
Thank you for your kind words. I will soldier on for as long as I am allowed to.

Reactions: Taran D

Ultraxion

May 10, 2022
Just curious, can't you get a master degree out of it? I know many universities do offer such an option to PhD drop-outs. By doing so you can go ahead and apply for PGWP. You mentioned it in your post so I assume you want to get a Canadian PR. Staying any longer as a visitor doesn't seem to do much help for you imo.

Reactions: LeeroyJ

LeeroyJ

Nov 28, 2022
Just curious, can't you get a master degree out of it? I know many universities do offer such an option to PhD drop-outs. By doing so you can go ahead and apply for PGWP. You mentioned it in your post so I assume you want to get a Canadian PR. Staying any longer as a visitor doesn't seem to do much help for you imo.
This is yet another thing that I will need to consider when/if such time comes. The worst case scenario does not look so bright for me, so I will just do my best to avoid that.