+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unrelated? degree for NAFTA TN

mch88

Sep 26, 2018
Hi, my girlfriend is planning to come to Canada to work temporarily and she is considering the TN/NAFTA route

She is under the graphic designer NOC, and I understand the education/work requirements are bachelors degree OR post secondary degree with 3 years work experience.

She has a 4 year bachelor of arts (journalism), with an additional associate of arts (1 year) degree in graphic design with 2 years of graphic design experience

Would she be able to qualify for the NAFTA with the (possibly unrelated?) 4 years BA (journalism) as she does not meet the 3 year work experience criteria? Would the supplementation with the AAD in graphic design help?

Anyone with experience either personally or knowledge regarding this?

Thanks

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
As long as she has a job offer, I don't think she will have a problem. I doubt the CBSA officer would understand the difference between university degrees. I had no problem working in US under TN visa as a management consultant in a field that is completely different then my education. The company that hired me just wrote a letter explaining why it needed me.