+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unqualified for Primary Occupation

Shairsha

Jun 16, 2017
My wife is applying for Express Entry as lead applicant. She's a graphic designer, but her university degree is in History. I was told by a registered immigration adviser that this isn't a problem, but now that we are filling in our application online, we are asked, "when did <#clientName#>" first become qualified to practice in this occupation?" Looking at the NOC code, it states that a college degree in graphic design is required for this category of skilled worker.
So what do we do now? My wife has ten years experience in graphic design for major companies. Does she now need to get a college degree in graphic design to be qualified for Canadian immigration? My work experience is mixed and also not related to my degrees in Chinese Studies. Should we forget about Express Entry and try to immigrate by studying in Canada? The immigration adviser suggested that too. We've spent a fair bit on paperwork already, not sure what to do.

Yours, worried,
CC
Hi,

I have an almost similar situation with me which you faced 2 years before. What did you do and was that successful?

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
For you, I am sure this doesn't matter. I put in a date in 2009 as the date I "qualified" as a literary agent. In fact, I didn't have a job as a literary agent until September, 2013. In 2009 I was working as an ESL teacher and journalist in Slovakia. But my mother was making a transition from being an attorney in the US to writing screenplays, and I decided to try to sell one for her. I enjoyed contacting directors and producers, and, in fact, I did sell her work - and that was how I decided on being a literary agent. But I did all that as a private person, and I could never prove that I did it, nor did I mention it in my PR application - and CIC just didn't care. I believe the qualification question is really for those who need a license in addition to their educational credentials in order to practice - like doctors, lawyers, teachers, aestheticians, etc.
Hi dobes,

I had started working even before completion of my Master's degree for NOC code 2174. While filling in the application, I have mentioned my start date of employment as March, 2016. I had graduated in Dec, 2015. But, I had actually started working in March,2015. The Experience letter from my Employer would also state as March, 2015. Is this going to be a problem? Will they consider my experience from March, 15 to Dec, 15 as apprenticeship and then consider the later part as actual exp. Please advise.