+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

unplanned pregnancy

May 23, 2008
i am only working here in canada for 7 months and is having a relationship with a citizen here for the past 6 months. i just found out that i am pregnant, maybe 6 weeks or so. my boyfriend and i haven't discussed about getting married yet, actually he wants me to terminate the pregnancy but i cant do it. i'm so afraid that this situation will jeopardize my work and send me back to my country. also, my work permit will expire by october, will i be given a new work permit even if i'm pregnant? somebody please help me... i need some sort of reassurance that everything will be alright....

Moonshine

May 31, 2008
I was in Toronto on holiday last January and met a woman with a few weeks old baby at the airport. She told me that she was from Lebanon living in Dubai with her French husband. She had travelled alone to Toronto for a friend's wedding when she was in her early pregnancy and had stayed for a few months. The baby was born premature so she had to extend her stay there and the baby was travelling on a Canadian passport. I don't think any airlines would allow women in late pregnancy to fly. No hospital will refuse to take you in but since you are not a Canadian cititzen or PR, the medical fees may be very expensive and I'm sure the public hospital will allow installation payment if you tell them of your financial hardship. Your baby will be a Canadian but when you have to leave the country, you either take the baby with you or leave him or her behind with the father. You can also apply for child support, your boyfriend has to take some responsibilities. If you haven't terminate the pregnancy yet, it may be too risky now. I suggest you contact the welfare agencies there and I'm sure someone would be able to help you. Take care.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Moonshine said:
No hospital will refuse to take you in but since you are not a Canadian cititzen or PR, the medical fees may be very expensive and I'm sure the public hospital will allow installation payment if you tell them of your financial hardship.
If she is covered under the health care system in the province where she lives, they will pay her expenses. For example you don't have to be a PR or citizen to be covered under Alberta Health, all you have to do is show that you are living legally in the province (work permit) and pay your premium every month which they are actually doing away with in January. Other provinces I believe are the same although I heard Ontario requires temporary work permits to be tied to an ON employer which can make it hard on ppl who have an open permit.