+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unpaid Leave - Continuous Work Experience

sflmanager

Mar 28, 2019
Hello,

I'm planning to apply for Express Entry program, but I'm not sure about my situation regarding my years of experience.

I graduated from an American University and I worked for 7 months while pursuing my MBA. After graduating, I took some unpaid leave while I waited on my work authorization. After it arrived, I continued my job with the same company, in the same position.

Would that apply as having 1 year of experience?

I appreciate any help/tip.

Thanks!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Unpaid leave won't count. You need to have full-time paid work (or the equivalent in paid part-time work). Paid vacations count, but unpaid leave while you were waiting for work authorizations means that you weren't allowed to work, therefore you cannot claim that as part of your work experience.

sflmanager

Mar 28, 2019
Unpaid leave won't count. You need to have full-time paid work (or the equivalent in paid part-time work). Paid vacations count, but unpaid leave while you were waiting for work authorizations means that you weren't allowed to work, therefore you cannot claim that as part of your work experience.
Hey!

I appreciate your quick reply!

I am not trying to count the unpaid leave as experiece. I should have worded my initial question better. I worked for 7 months, was on unpaid leave for 2 months, and then worked 7 more months on the same company in the same position. Does that count as 1 year experience or the 2 months unpaid leave, makes it 2 “less than an year” experiences?

Thansk again!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hey!

I appreciate your quick reply!

I am not trying to count the unpaid leave as experiece. I should have worded my initial question better. I worked for 7 months, was on unpaid leave for 2 months, and then worked 7 more months on the same company in the same position. Does that count as 1 year experience or the 2 months unpaid leave, makes it 2 “less than an year” experiences?

Thansk again!
If you are applying under the Canadian Experience Class, then it will count since CEC doesn't require continuous, uninterrupted work.

If you are applying under the Federal Skilled Worker class, then it won't count since the FSW class requires continuous, uninterrupted work.

Reactions: akkoajangajang

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
If you are applying under the Canadian Experience Class, then it will count since CEC doesn't require continuous, uninterrupted work.

If you are applying under the Federal Skilled Worker class, then it won't count since the FSW class requires continuous, uninterrupted work.
@21Goose
Hi there,
A friend of mine is working for 2 years in Canada on Noc A position.
He has taken 2 unpaid leaves and travelled out of Canada for 1month each to see his family. Is that acceptable while claiming CEC experience points? @scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@21Goose
Hi there,
A friend of mine is working for 2 years in Canada on Noc A position.
He has taken 2 unpaid leaves and travelled out of Canada for 1month each to see his family. Is that acceptable while claiming CEC experience points? @scylla
instead of reposting the same question would suggest you give someone a bit of time to answer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi senior members,
Can you please help me here?
I have a friend who has Canadian experience. He received his ITA based on 2 years work exp. as the EE system only understands month and year.
However, he was on unpaid vacation for 2 months (outside Canada) and paid vacation for 3 weeks (in Canada) during that period.
Now, to fill that gap of 2 unpaid months, he was planning to utilize the 60 days time period being given by IRCC to submit all the documents and submit everything on the 60th day so that he does not lose points during exact assessment by officer. The problem is even if he submits the application on the 60th day, he is falling short of 4 days to complete 2 years of Canadian experience .Can you please explain what can be done here?
Would asking for an extension to submit work experience docs be ideal? He has already received his experience letter but waiting to receive another letter from employer to highlight unpaid leaves/gaps. (not sure why he is doing that or if that would be helpful in any way).
Thank you very much!
If he doesn't meet the requirements, then he needs to decline the ITA and wait for another one.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks . If he declines, does he have to do anything different or just wait for the next invitation?
I am not familiar with the process of declining but believe a profile just goes back into the pool. Have a search of the forum for similar situations.