+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

unmarried to common law

orange

Jan 30, 2009
good day.
i am working here in canada until september 2009 and i am planning to bring my family here in canada under spousal permit.the problem is i declared umarried and my two kids only as my dependents during my work application.i thought during that time that it would be more misrepresenting if i checked the box for common law since we dont have joint bank accounts or properties with the father of my two kids.we lived together in his parent's house for 4 years and he bears the surnames of my two kids.

what should i do now?should i continue to lodge the application of my partner as common law since we signed the statutory declaration of common law union last january or would this be a very big factor of being refused and banned from canada because of misrepresentation.how will i change my civil status from unmarried to common law?

hope you could help me.thank you so much

orange

Jan 30, 2009
so can i continue lodging the application and just attach a letter of explanation and all supporting documents?my fear is just the consequence of misrepresentation that is being banned for 2 years to enter canada

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

orange said:
so can i continue lodging the application and just attach a letter of explanation and all supporting documents?my fear is just the consequence of misrepresentation that is being banned for 2 years to enter canada
Be prepared, you lied on the application and you will probably have to suffer the consequences. It is quite possible that CBSA will contact you re: the misrepresentation.

PMM

orange

Jan 30, 2009
would writing a letter to CIC help explaining that common law is not recognized in the philippines?coz i declared my two sons but not their father.its just now that i learned that having children could support common law partnership

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Thats my point Common law does not exist in the Philippines Common Law Relationships are not recognized since they are considered"living in Sin".So the only choices open to Filipinos are Single or Married Divorce is not recognized also.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BCguy said:
Thats my point Common law does not exist in the Philippines Common Law Relationships are not recognized since they are considered"living in Sin".So the only choices open to Filipinos are Single or Married Divorce is not recognized also.
We are not talking about Filipino mores, if you are applying for Immigration to Canada, the CIC explains the definition of spouse, both married and comon/law.

PMM

orange

Jan 30, 2009
yap i did read about common law but we did not have any joint bank accounts or properties that would satisfy an IO.but when i landed in Canada,they told me that having children and staying together for more than a year would be a common law relationship already.Nway, I rly dont know what's goin 2 happen after i sent my letter of explanation via email today.