+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

University of Windsor vs Concordia University ?? (Point by point comparison)

dsan_01

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
  • I have chosen University of Concordia based on below points ( some of which are my assumptions). Got admission in Meng in Software Engineering.
    Appreciate if somebody who is well versed with the universities (and their cities) can throw some light. Whether my assumptions are right or wrong.I still have time to change my decision.

Also these points can help other students like me.

CONCORDIA:
    Positives:

1> Best city for students.
    2> Easily managed without Car/Good public transport.
    3> Can manage alone.
    4> Rank 500.
    5> Software Engineering degree.
    6> Work Term available. My assumption is this is similar to Co-op.
    7> Well connected with the world.
    8> Opportunity to learn new language.
    9> More job opportunities for the spouse if from IT background. Assumption is that for IT jobs may be french would not be the requirement.
    10> Ottawa is closeby and have IT jobs.
    11> Boston/New York within reach. One can atleast apply for IT jobs there and can attend interviews if needed.
    12> Heard better reviews of Meng in Software Engineering.

Negatives:

1> Hard to find English Schools for kid (if you have one).
    2> PR not Easy.
    3> Off campus Jobs Not Easy because of french.
    4> For everything you require permission from quebec gov. eg CAQ.

WINDSOR:
Positive:

1> PR easier BUT there is a cap which is filling up before the end of year so no guarantee. Also once the cap is over, the application automatically gets into next year quota but nobody know how much will be the quota and above all there might be the case that when your application is filed, already there will be thousands in the line for that year.

2> No Requirement for permissions.
3> US 15 kms away.
4> French not required.
5> Degree can be completed in 1 year but not recommended.
6> English Schools may not be issue but not sure whether they are good or bad since its a small town.
7> Co-op available

Negative:

1> Less or no jobs in that area for accompanying spouse.
2> Ranked very low. 700+
3> No offcampus jobs for student.
4> Degree in electrical & computer engineering.
5> Staying alone may be tough. Car might be needed in this town.
6> Not connected to outside world directly. Instead toronto is the nearest city for the connectivity
7> Getting job on graduation from here may be tougher than having Concordia graduation.

MFAhad

Dec 16, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2014
Med's Request
24-01-2014
Med's Done....
29-01-2014
Passport Req..
Submitted With Application
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2014
I vote Concordia and I will also like to learn French :). By the way why is PR hard in Quebec?

Reactions: shopnodana91

dsan_01

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
The easiest way to get PR through Quebec PNP is Quebec graduate stream (PEQ) but in Aug13 they have changed the rule and make UPPER intermediate level FRENCH language proficiency as requirement. Passing DLEF B2 exam after learning french from scratch in 2 years seems difficult.

Any known person who cleared this level of french during their graduation ? I also want to have a word of advice from such student.

dsan_01

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
Anybody who is currently studying or studied in the mentioned universities and provide some insight ?

irony

Nov 29, 2013
dsan_01 said:

• 1> PR easier BUT there is a cap which is filling up before the end of year so no guarantee. Also once the cap is over, the application automatically gets into next year quota but nobody know how much will be the quota and above all there might be the case that when your application is filed, already there will be thousands in the line for that year.

• Can you elaborate on this please ?

Does this affect the Fall'14 batch or the Winter '15 batch ?

dsan_01

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPNEW.html
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS.html

These pages has the details.

Kartik.career9

Star Member
Aug 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi I am planning for Concordia university. Could any one share latest news about Quebec PNP program after graduation studies.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Kartik.career9 said:
Hi I am planning for Concordia university. Could any one share latest news about Quebec PNP program after graduation studies.
well quebec has closed its skilled immigration program but seems like they are opening it back. we will have to wait and see what changes they make.

http://www.immigration.ca/en/immigrationnewsarticles-menu/181-canada-immigration-news-articles/2015/march/1292-quebec-re-open-skilled-worker-immigration-program-in-2015.html

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dsan_01 said:
  • I have chosen University of Concordia based on below points ( some of which are my assumptions). Got admission in Meng in Software Engineering.
    Appreciate if somebody who is well versed with the universities (and their cities) can throw some light. Whether my assumptions are right or wrong.I still have time to change my decision.
    Also these points can help other students like me.
    CONCORDIA:
    Positives:
    1> Best city for students.
    2> Easily managed without Car/Good public transport.
    3> Can manage alone.
    4> Rank 500.
    5> Software Engineering degree.
    6> Work Term available. My assumption is this is similar to Co-op.
    7> Well connected with the world.
    8> Opportunity to learn new language.
    9> More job opportunities for the spouse if from IT background. Assumption is that for IT jobs may be french would not be the requirement.
    10> Ottawa is closeby and have IT jobs.
    11> Boston/New York within reach. One can atleast apply for IT jobs there and can attend interviews if needed.
    12> Heard better reviews of Meng in Software Engineering.
    Negatives:
    1> Hard to find English Schools for kid (if you have one).
    2> PR not Easy.
    3> Off campus Jobs Not Easy because of french.
    4> For everything you require permission from quebec gov. eg CAQ.
WINDSOR:
Positive:

1> PR easier BUT there is a cap which is filling up before the end of year so no guarantee. Also once the cap is over, the application automatically gets into next year quota but nobody know how much will be the quota and above all there might be the case that when your application is filed, already there will be thousands in the line for that year.

2> No Requirement for permissions.
3> US 15 kms away.
4> French not required.
5> Degree can be completed in 1 year but not recommended.
6> English Schools may not be issue but not sure whether they are good or bad since its a small town.
7> Co-op available
Negative:
1> Less or no jobs in that area for accompanying spouse.
2> Ranked very low. 700+
3> No offcampus jobs for student.
4> Degree in electrical & computer engineering.
5> Staying alone may be tough. Car might be needed in this town.
6> Not connected to outside world directly. Instead toronto is the nearest city for the connectivity
7> Getting job on graduation from here may be tougher than having Concordia graduation.

CONCORDIA is better...Of course, it's up to u

I live in Windsor, there are some race discrimination issue in that city. Also, most interntional students travel to tornoto for work...

I think, Big city is much better for students.. and new comers... They can get a job and get some help from immigrantion community at least... when they get into troubles....

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
I agree with concordia...partly because i am biased towards concordia as i studied there and also because of montreal which is a great city.